WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE GAME MAKER?

Pages: first prev 12 last
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=luiishu535
From what I've tried, XP seems to have the worst mapping system, mainly due to the lack of auto-tiles.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. The three layer system gives so much more freedom than the two layer system that I think lack of autotiles hardly counts for anything.
Autotiles can also be really iffy in behaving the way you want them to. You can use shift mapping to make them look good in places where they would automatically look bad, but shift mapping is in a sense no different from not using autotiles at all.
Wow, I'm surprised by how many people are saying RM2K3. n.n My favorite is RPG Tsukuru 2003 (this site's name for the unofficial fan translation of RM2K3) patched with DynRPG, because with DynRPG ANYTHING BECOMES POSSIBLE MUAHAHAHA. If/when a version of DynRPG becomes available for the official English RM2K3 I will happily migrate to that (and I've already bought it just to be ethical).

Unity's better for professional/non-RPG game dev, though.
Well, I'm having a lot of fun with RPG Maker MV, but I'd have to go with its predecessor, VX Ace. But once the community has embraced the new engine with additional resources and plugins, I'm sure it'll be more popular.
The more I use MV, the more I find I don't like about it. I like its side-view system, but that's always been something I can take or leave. My main project I'm working on is in MV, and at a certain point it becomes frustrating to use.

I've been playing around with XP again, and I love the flexibility it gives you in its RTP. They put a ton of work into it.

VX Ace, however, I think is my favorite. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. Better database than XP (though I did like its fog effects, I'd like to see the next RPGM add that), great eventing, and the RTP is quite flexible. I mean, it looks pretty good in the right hands: take a look at luiishu's Castle Oblivion Remake. It's inspiring, and it uses primarily RTP.
Rpgmaker VX Ace is a great engine.
Pages: first prev 12 last