[RMVX ACE] DEMO OR NO DEMO?

Pages: 1
stiven202
Don't make duplicate accounts in order to review your own game, guys!
do you think is appropriate that you release a demo of their rpg maker game? or do you prefer not see anything from a game until you have full version?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I'd prefer to be unimpressed now rather than be disappointed later.
Demos don't make sense for a commercial project since most players who play them to begin with are ones who are out to buy the game. It's more likely for them to turn off interested players than entice others to buy a game they otherwise wouldn't have.
unity
You're magical to me.
I always release demos of my games unless they are really short. ^_^ That way you get super-valuable feedback and maybe get some more people interested in the project!
pianotm
LightningLord2
Demos don't make sense for a commercial project since most players who play them to begin with are ones who are out to buy the game. It's more likely for them to turn off interested players than entice others to buy a game they otherwise wouldn't have.

Yes, and then we realize we bought trash and never buy from the dev again. Not the best business model, unless it's the only game you're ever going to make. The lovely thing about demos, is that if they're bad, you can give that feedback and the dev can improve their game. If the dev is like anyone else, once the final product is released, he may still care, just usually, he doesn't care enough to make sure the game improves.
author=LightningLord2

Um, I would have to disagree here. Demos do help to let players have a feel of the game before they decide whether to buy it or not. Haven't you heard of games with demos like harmonic's games (you know, the 1-hr demos?)
stiven202
Don't make duplicate accounts in order to review your own game, guys!
but in this case I don't speak about commercial games. I speak about demos to free rpg maker games.
pianotm
I repeat...

pianotm
I'd prefer to be unimpressed now rather than be disappointed later.

Trust me, a 15 minute demo is all the time I really want to be unimpressed by a free RM game.
As someone who has played a lot of games, most of the ones that I've gotten free early access to have been great and amped me up to buy the full version.

As for non-commercial games, it's always a good idea to give your players a taste of what is to come as well as a chance to give feedback in case there are any issues that you missed. It helps them feel involved in the project a bit and if you wow them they're going to spread the name around a lot more.

It also gives you a chance to see what they don't and do like about your game and maybe enhance those areas/change things a little. First impressions on full games tend to last a lot longer than first impressions on a demo and if you stuff up the full game people are going to remember that, so a demo is a good way to see if you're doing well or not.
Pages: 1