DARK SOULS III -> BITTEN BY THE HYPE?

Pages: 1
Being a soulsborne (Dark Souls / Bloodborne) fan I couldn't help bringing this up in the forums. Dark Souls 3 is out in a month or so and has ushered some serious hype around the release.

What are your thoughts around the third game in the series, and what are you getting it for? I'm a PS4 fellow.

Pre-ordered it, and will shut myself away for at least a month while I plough through it, the mere mention of Dark Souls 3 sends me into a rabid, foaming at the mouth, state of sheer unsaturated hype and excitement.

After Dark Souls 2 being lukewarm, Miyazaki heading Dark Souls 3 gives me hope that we can expect the same we had from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne.
Well, Dark Souls felt kinda mediocre to me after some time and getting killed by a hacker completely ruined my fun. Not really looking forward to play Dark Souls ever again, maybe another game in a similar style, though.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I feel a bit mixed, to be honest. On one hand, OMG A NEW SOULS GAME YESYESYESYES I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY IT YUUUUUUUS!!!tf@vbq#tyd # qdvqg#d

On the other, I'm a little nervous at the pace these games have been coming out. There has been a soulborne game released every year since Dark Souls 2, and even though Miyazaki is back at the helm, I can't imagine DS3 taking any major strides forward to separate it from the other games in the series.

You know some other series' that had yearly iterations? Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. And they've only gotten better with each yearly iteration with new ideas that take major strides forward for the series, right? Right?

Of course, I trust From a LOT more than I trust Infinity Ward or Ubisoft, but still. Amidst all the hype about a new Souls game, I can't just ignore the warning flags popping up in the back of my mind. I love the Souls series, and I'd hate to see it go the route those other games did where they just rehash the same ideas over and over again. Overall, I'm gonna try to be cautiously optimistic.
I'm pretty excited. Dark Souls has always provided an interesting time for me, so I might pick it up, although perhaps not immediately.
author=Red_Nova
I feel a bit mixed, to be honest. On one hand, OMG A NEW SOULS GAME YESYESYESYES I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY IT YUUUUUUUS!!!tf@vbq#tyd # qdvqg#d

On the other, I'm a little nervous at the pace these games have been coming out. There has been a soulborne game released every year since Dark Souls 2, and even though Miyazaki is back at the helm, I can't imagine DS3 taking any major strides forward to separate it from the other games in the series.

You know some other series' that had yearly iterations? Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. And they've only gotten better with each yearly iteration with new ideas that take major strides forward for the series, right? Right?

Of course, I trust From a LOT more than I trust Infinity Ward or Ubisoft, but still. Amidst all the hype about a new Souls game, I can't just ignore the warning flags popping up in the back of my mind. I love the Souls series, and I'd hate to see it go the route those other games did where they just rehash the same ideas over and over again. Overall, I'm gonna try to be cautiously optimistic.

I know whatcha mean. I was really hoping for a Demon's Souls, Dark Souls HD Remaster or another Bloodborne DLC to play around with for another year until releasing a climactic endgame of a series that is Dark Souls 3. But there's no mistaking it, the gameplay looks awesome!
With Dark Souls 3 being the last in the Souls series, I thin what from Software want to do is to take the tried and tested Dark Souls formula, and mix things up a little. Think of it like Nintendo and Mario, they constantly release Mario games and what not, but they still don't hurt for sales, they stick to what they know, and refine what they know, occasionally throwing something else into the mix. What I most look forward to from From Software is to see how the souls formula slots into other genres and settings.

At least that's my understanding of it, it's late, and I'm tired, so I'm probably just spouting a load of bollocks... I'm going to go and play some more Vagrant Story before bed...
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Lymmet
I know whatcha mean. I was really hoping for a Demon's Souls, Dark Souls HD Remaster or another Bloodborne DLC to play around with for another year until releasing a climactic endgame of a series that is Dark Souls 3. But there's no mistaking it, the gameplay looks awesome!

I'll have to take your word for it. After religiously following DS2's development only to be disappointed by how much was changed/removed at the last minute, I decided to stay as far away from any DS3 content or hype as I could. It's been tough, by the way, but I'd much rather go into the game without external hype clouding my brain this time.

I did have Demon's Souls to occupy myself in the meantime, though! I had that game for three years but never really found the time to complete it. I corrected that mistake a few days ago.
I approached Dark Souls 2 with a fresh mind. I was late to the party (got the game by the end of last year) and I wanted to try something like that after talking to a few friends.

I confess I was impressed, but this was caused by 1. not having played the other Souls games, and 2. not having followed the development threads and hype.

(Well, it was almost the same with Diablo III, but I digress.)

I'm not looking forward DS3 though. Not that I disliked DS2 (far from it), but I don't own a PS4 and I don't intend to purchase one so soon.
I've actually just started playing Dark Souls. I have the 2nd on 360 and the first on Steam.

I'm thinking about buying the 3rd one when the price drops. The first two should keep me pretty busy until then.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
in short: do want
I loved the original Demon's Souls, as well as Dark Souls. Also, Bloodborne is quite possibly my favorite game on the PS4.

So I'm pretty hyped for DS3. However, what tends to happen is, I don't pre-order, I just wait around for a game to launch, then I notice it's out at some point, then pick it up, and play the crap out of it for a couple months.

On a separate note, what I'd like to see after this is Bloodborne 2. I can't get enough of its fast-paced combat and surreal atmosphere.

"The sky and the cosmos are one."
Pages: 1