[RMVX ACE] HOW DO I CREATE FACE/SPRITE SETS THAT DON'T SUCK.

Pages: 1
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
Hello everyone. Spirit here. Many people have claimed that my game, Dragon Ascension, has different art styles that it uses at completely random. I know the VX Ace Character Creator is total garbage. (well, maybe not the sprites. More options then MV :D) I need a good free program to create faces. MV doesn't have enough options for the character gen, and it doesn't have quick formula on the skills so I'm sticking to Ace until they fix that with an update. I need a good program to create faces that can make faces that I can actually use, faces that are turned slightly to the side, easy to use, (no programming) and free. I need help on creating faces that are the same art style! Please Help!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Can you draw?

If the answer is yes:
Get a drawing tablet (they're not free.). Download Sketchbook (it is free). If not, draw them on paper, scan them into your computer, and then spruce them up with something like Gimp (which is free). Unless you're a talented pixel artist; then you don't need to draw.

If the answer is no:
Find someone who will make facechips for you. Good luck finding someone who will do it for free.

After trial and error, I have found that these are essentially your only two options.
I'd have to agree mostly with pianotm. Unless you can draw, it's hard to get good character sets. There are a few other options:
1) If you can't draw, embrace your bad drawing skills and make a game where the art direction as a whole is kinda bad. In many ways, bad art only sticks out because it's not consistent with "better" art elsewhere. If everything is a little janky, then at least everything is consistent! This option probably works better for joke games or funny games, though. Crappy art would probably draw away from epic adventures or horror games.
2) Scour the internet for character sets. Check this board or other boards for art assets and grab them. Of course, you'll want to credit the creators in your game. However, if you're selling your game, some of these assets won't work.
3) Try to find some avatar generators online. I like this one, but it's very anime. Just photoshop out the backgrounds. Maybe that fits the style of your game, maybe not. Just google "avatar creator" and there are a few.
KrimsonKatt
I used that one on Ramaru Games. It doesn't fir well because the characters are faced to the front, not the side. I've heard that Face Maker is good, it's just that, you know, MOST OF IT IS IN JAPANESE!
Here's one not in Japanese: click

But, similarly to the other one, people are facing to the front...
For my games, I just grab all the existing art assets out there that I can find.
KrimsonKatt
I already have the face assets for Ryuuta and Tyko...

..but not korra...
Pages: 1