DARK SCIFI SUGGESTIONS?

Pages: 1
If your into this kind of thing, what's a good 'Dark SciFi' to watch? Could be anime too! Prefer movies though.

I've seen these in recent history and liked them much.

Dark City
12 Monkeys (movie, never seen the new show)
Oldboy

Generally they got some action going, and some weird shit going on via science.
protagonist are vulnerable, but not to vulnerable.

Hmm. Dark sci-fi... it's hard to pin down from the examples but... Let's give it a try.

Any Philip K. Dick filmatization (examples: A Scanner Darkly, Total Recall, Blade Runner)

And thinking of Total Recall. Almost any Verhoeven SF movie. (Like: Robocop or Starship Troopers)

Then some randoms:
Pandorum
Moon
Cube
Ex Machina
Never Let Me Go
Looper

Not much in the way of descriptive text. But I find something to like in all of these and in some cases it is best to go in blind.
Texhnolyze. It's slow-paced and depressing, but also beautiful.

I'm not too much into sci-fi tho
Akira is dark sci-fi. John Carpenter's The Thing is a bit sci-fi, but it s bleak and depressing and very gory. Sunshine, that's dark-ish.
If you are willing to watch a good series, I recommend Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica (how dark each one is depends on what you expect).
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I love all the suggestions here. Definitely second Blade Runner, Akira, A Scanner Darkly, Robocop, and Cube. I'll add THX 1138, Alien, the original Planet of the Apes, Ghost in the Shell, Serenity, Dredd (the Karl Urban version, not the Stallone version, which I'm not as inclined to call dark), Demolition Man (speaking of Stallone), The Chronicles of Riddick (any of them), Heavy Metal, Heavy Metal 2000, and Terminator.

For TV shows, I'm fond of Dark Angel, Firefly (if you didn't notice from my Serenity suggestion), Farscape (I'm not sure if this counts but it does have a lot of dark to it), and Continuum.

I'm not really big on Battlestar Galactica, but having grown up with the original (which isn't really dark, considering), I'm naturally averse to the remake, but there are things about it I like. If you're young, you'll probably prefer the modern one.
Moon was good. I also enjoyed Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow.

Demolition Man, despite being one of my all time favorite movies, isn't very dark. But still worth the watch!

E:
and WALL-E

best movie

E2:
Gattaca is also really good.
i'll check some of these out i have not heard of them! texnolyze hmm i did like serial experiments lain a lot. i was hopinh despera would see the light of day.

why, do my favorite anime directors die early?

Keanus monologue in A Scanner Darkly always really stuck with me. here let's recite it

i'm supposed to act like they aren't here. assuming there's a they at all. it may just be my imagination. whatever it is that's watching, it's not human, unlike little dark eyed Donna. it doesn't ever blink.

what does a scanner see? into the head? down into the heart? does it see into me, into us, clearly or darkly?

i hope it sees clearly, for i can no longer see into myself. i see only muck. i hope for everyone's sake the scanners do better.
for if the scanners see only darkly, the way i do, then i am cursed, and cursed again.

i'll only wind up dead this way, knowing very little, and getting that little fragment, wrong, too.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I love a Scanner Darkly
In highschool for media class I did some small scenes in that style and everybody loved it
author=Davenport
Event Horizon

Event Horizon is one of my favourite movies of all time. I second this suggestion.
'Dark Angel' season 1 was some pretty awesome and well thought out Science Fiction that went to some dark places. Season 2 lightened things off a little however. I recently re-watched the whole show and it totally holds up. A more
Modern Science Fiction show would be 'Almost Human' which pulls some interesting punches and id recommend the 'Dredd' movie too.
author=pianotm
Ghost in the Shell.
Ghost in the Shell is beautiful and you should definitely watch it! Psycho Pass is more dystopian anime, but the technology qualifies it for sci fi I think and it gets pretty dark.
Gantz(2010)- Based on the popular anime.
The Colony(2013)- Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Thriller.
The Last Day On Mars(2013)- Horror-SciFi.
The Thaw (2009)- Horror Sci-Fi.
Helix(2014)
Pages: 1