BEST RPGMAKER FOR MMO

Pages: first 12 next last
So I've been thinking about making a MMORPG for the longest time. But can't really find any MMOs made by any RPGmaker. Which program would be the best? I Currently have VX, XP, 2003.. But been thinking about getting MV.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I don't think RPGMaker has the capability to do MMOs.

TBH, I don't think most amateurs have the capability to manage MMOs in the first place. The server needs alone... yeesh.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Look into Land Traveler by WolfCoder which is multiplayer online, buuut he's a genius and it takes a lot of work.

author=Sooz
TBH, I don't think most amateurs have the capability to manage MMOs in the first place. The server needs alone... yeesh.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Sooz
I don't think RPGMaker has the capability to do MMOs.

I've seen some attempts back in the XP/early VX days, it's certainly possible with some good scripting knowledge.

There is, by and large, no incentive to create MMOs in RPG Maker, however. With good reason.

1) As you mentioned, the server requirements are MASSIVE and no average joe has the resources for one that's long-running.

2) It's generally an ambitious, high-level type of game to make. There are a lot of factors to consider like being able to being able to constantly provide support to players at their demands, designing a game that has an "endless" structure yet still keeps players engaged, trying to compete with the myriad of WoW clones out there, the list goes on.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
have you made a game before
InfectionFiles
author=Craze
they have if you looked
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=InfectionFiles
author=Craze
they have if you looked

Three games isn't really enough for something at the scale of MMOs.
RPG Maker does have the ability to create MMOs. I have ventured into games with online capabilities. You'll be able to find those games easily via Google.

The problem, though, is that none of them, if not few of them, last long. And that's a given since it requires running servers for a long time. These kind of games are mostly experiments in the short run, but will definitely not last in the long run (unless there are people willing to keep the servers running for a long time, but there are better engines for that).

There is, however, one (or two-in-one for that matter) popular RPG Maker game that I know has some online capability. And that's...yep, Pokemon Zeta/Omnicron (fan games of Pokemon made in RPG Maker XP). You can check them out :)

Thanks for some information, and I understand how much a server cost, and the what ifs. My main question is RPGmaker even able to do this? And would it be worth taking the time to learn enough about how VX, and MV work to create one. I understand there is back end cost on maintaining a server, and content for players. And yes Craze, and Ratty I've made games on 2k3, and more than 3. But that was also years ago.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Holydragoon
And would it be worth taking the time to learn enough about how VX, and MV work to create one.

I mean it depends how much this idea of making an RPGMaker MMO exist means to you.

If you're just doing it to see if it's possible- climbing the mountain because it's there- then shine on, you crazy diamond.

If you're doing it because you're harboring the delusion that it'd be profitable or lead to good things beyond the thing existing, then no, it is probably not worth the time and effort. That is time and effort you could be putting into learning to use game engines better suited to the task, or making games that are less punishingly complicated, or maybe raising a puppy; stuff that's going to be far more rewarding.

(If you want any kind of profit, you are better off leaving videro garmes entirely and looking into money management or something.)
Ace is capable and I think there are some scripts for it, too. MV would be capable, having innate browser support.
InfectionFiles
author=Ratty524
author=InfectionFiles
author=Craze
they have if you looked
Three games isn't really enough for something at the scale of MMOs.

Yes, but they have made games. Which was the question.
author=Holydragoon
My main question is RPGmaker even able to do this? And would it be worth taking the time to learn enough about how VX, and MV work to create one.

Some other forum topics that you might be interested in looking through:
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/33023-rpg-maker-mmo-mmorpg-maker/
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=3869.0
https://steamcommunity.com/app/363890/discussions/0/481115363865769569/

Bottom line? Yes, it's entirely possible. But totally not worth it (unless you're just experimenting). Like I said, there are better engines for this.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i did look actually. i still think they should question themselves. isolate why you're interested in an mmo and then... make something that won't suck
unity
You're magical to me.
I think the big question is: Is there an MMO built with RPG Maker that has a thriving userbase? I haven't heard of any, but I haven't exactly been searching it out.
Creating an MMO may sound fun, but it isn't. Especially the running and maintaining part. Not to mention the design... Though I think that the most capable of all would be MV for this job.(I haven't done any research, but MV has the most power if you ask me.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
An MMO is a huge commitment but you could totally make a MUD! It's like a text-based MMORPG. There are a lot of code packages to help you get started with like a "default mud" sort of like the way RPG Maker has its default heroes and skills and animations. Different MUD packages are written in different programming languages. I use the Lima package, which is super-customizable but a lot harder to use, and is written in a C-based language. The Diku and CircleMUD packages are more popular; Diku is the simplest but you can't do as much with it. I don't know what languages either of them use.

It's still a lot of work and most MUDs have a staff of multiple people. It's also common for MUDs to allow their players to help out with creating new areas, since 90% of doing so is just writing.

I'm the lead developer on a semi-successful MUD that's been around for... holy shit, 19 years. I've been part of the development staff for 13 years of that time, and have been lead developer of it for the last 3 years or so since the previous lead developer retired and left me in charge. I'll answer any questions you have about MUDs, but I'm not the person to ask about getting started from scratch, since I inherited mine.
I worked on a MUD as well for a while, and one thing people always underestimate when doing multiplayer RPGs is how -fast- people go through content. If I released an area, and it wasn't particularly complicated, it would sometimes be finished the same day by the players who were consistently on. Everything about the area would be dissected after some time, people would find the ideal manner to go through it (sometimes not even the way you intended), how much of it was actually useful to do, etc.

Never underestimate players ability to optimize everything, especially in an MMO. In a single player RPG, you basically have a nice straight line for everyone to go down (to varying degrees depending on your story). In an MMO, everything is a calculation, and if a particular dungeon isn't worth it more so than just grinding further, or doesn't have an acceptable risk/reward ratio, it won't be touched but by a few people. The MUD I designed for had been around for decades as well, and there were hundreds of areas...of which maybe a dozen or so got touched regularly. Players would find the best place to farm gold, exp, with/without certain classes, and hammered those areas. The ratio of work done -> used content is much lower in MMOs than in single player RPGs.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
It's kind embaressing looking back now at it but before I did really do stuff with RPG Maker I did use XtremeWorlds http://mmorpgmaker.org/ since I was extremely stubborn.
It does offer scripting if you want it and the networking done and in place, additionally similar to MUDs you can have users help out make stuff if you set permissions that way. May be what you want to look into, tilesets are pain in the ass though with it.

But yeah RPG Maker wise MV would be your best bet.
author=Liberty
MV would be capable, having innate browser support.

Non-sequitur.
Pages: first 12 next last