NHL 2016 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS / POOL PREDICTION THREAD

Pages: first 123456 next last

The long, excruciating 82 game NHL regular season has finally come to a end for most teams, and thus the start of a brand new type of hockey season is about to begin for the 16 remaining: The Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who’s it gonna be this year?

Will the Chicago Blackhawks reign supreme yet again and win their 4th coveted Stanley Cup in the last 6 years? Will the Los Angeles Kings manage to get back to the promise land again after missing out on the playoffs from last year? Can the Washington Capitals, and Alexander Ovechkin, FINALLY get over that collective curse that is the 2nd round and make it all the way to the finals after winning the President’s Trophy? Or will some of the new, up-and-coming teams, such as the Dallas Stars and the Florida Panthers be the ones to surprise everybody this year? Or maybe one of the long time underachievers, like the San Jose Sharks, Minnesota Wild or St. Louis Blues might finally be able do it?

Once again, just like with last year’s thread, we’re going to not only disucss and react to all of the Stanley Cup Playoff’s that are going on here but we’re also going to hold a playoff prediction pool where the winner will receive an achievement badge for coming out on top!

- So what are you waiting for? Get your asses in here and show everybody that you know what you’re doing when it comes to hockey, unlike the rest of the Canadian teams that didn’t make it. :(

The Bracket:

The Rules:
The rules of the game are simple: you must pick the winner of each playoff series, from round one all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals and how many games each series will go on to and who you think will ultimately win the Stanley Cup.

For each correct guess that you make you’ll receive 2 points. If you manage to successfully predict how many games that particular series will go to you’ll earn a bonus point, even if that team that you pick in that series ends up ultimately losing. And if you not only manage to pick the winner of that series and the correct number of games that it will go on to you can earn up to 4 points for both, so try to get ‘em both right.

And also - be very, very wary on who you decide to pick to win the Stanley Cup this year, as any playoff series that team is particularly involved in will earn you double the points for their efforts. So if you’re picking the Washington Capitals, for example, to win the Stanley Cup and they beat the Flyers in 6 and you both get the team and the correct number of games right you’ll earn up to 8 points for that particular round!

The Prize:

This year, for the participant(s) that earns the most points at the end of the playoffs they will earn this lovely Conn Smythe achievement award that’s worth 5 whole makerscore points and a token of my gratitude, the best kind of gratitude there is! :D

Unfortunately, like most of teams participating in this thing, the losers get nothing. NOTHING!

The Leaderboard:
1st* GreatRedSpirit27 Pts
2ndkentona22 Pts
3rdShinan17 Pts
4thAddit14 Pts
5thankylo12 Pts
6thHexatona8 Pts

The Players:
Addit's Picks:

1st Round
Ducks over Predators in 6
Kings over Sharks in 6
Stars over Wild in 4
Blackhawks over Blues in 6
Panthers over Islanders in 7
Red Wings over Lightning in 4
Capitals over Flyers in 6
Penguins over Rangers in 5

2nd Round
Kings over Ducks in 7
Blackhawks over Stars in 4
Panthers over Red Wings in 5
Capitals over Penguins in 7

Conference Finals
Blackhawks over Kings in 7
Capitals over Panthers in 4

Finals
Capitals over Blackhawks in 7

kentona's Picks:

1st Round
Ducks over Predators in 5
Sharks over Kings in 7
Stars over Wild in 6
Blackhawks over Blues in 7
Islanders over Panthers in 6
Red Wings over Lightning in 7
Capitals over Flyers in 5
Penguins over Rangers in 7

2nd Round
Sharks over Ducks in 7
Stars over Blackhawks in 6
Islanders over Red Wings in 5

Conference Finals
Stars over Sharks in 5
Capitals over Islanders in 5

Finals
Capitals over Stars in 7

ankylo's Picks:

1st Round
Ducks over Predators in 7
Kings over Sharks in 6
Stars over Wild in 5
Panthers over Islanders in 6
Rangers over Penguins in 7

2nd Round
Ducks over Kings in 7
Blackhawks over Stars in 6
Panthers over Red Wings in 6
Capitals over Rangers in 7

Conference Finals
Blackhawks over Ducks in 7
Capitals over Panthers in 5

Finals

Shinan's Picks:

1st Round
Predators over Ducks in 7
Kings over Sharks in 5
Stars over Wild in 4
Blues over Blackhawks in 6
Panthers over Islanders in 5
Lightning over Red Wings in 6
Flyers over Capitals in 7
Penguins over Rangers in 6

2nd Round
Ducks over Kings in 6
Stars over Blackhawks in 5
Lightning over Panthers in 7
Capitals over Rangers in 6

Conference Finals
Stars over Ducks in 6
Panthers over Capitals in 7

Finals
Capitals over Stars in 5

Hexatona's Picks:

1st Round
Kings over Sharks in 6
Wild over Stars in 6
Red Wings over Lightning in 6
Rangers over Penguins in 6

2nd Round
Predators over Kings in 4
Wild over Blues in 6
Red Wings over Panthers in 5
Flyers over Rangers in 6

Conference Finals
Predators over Wild in 6
Flyers over Red Wings in 6

Finals
Flyers over Predators in 6

GreatRedSpirit's Picks:

1st Round
Sharks over Kings in 5
Stars over Wild in 5
Blues over Blackhawks in 4
Lightning over Red Wings in 5
Capitals over Flyers in 4
Rangers over Penguins in 5

2nd Round
Predators over Sharks in 5
Stars over Blues in 4
Islanders over Lightning in 7
Rangers over Capitals in 6

Conference Finals
Predators over Stars in 6
Islanders over Rangers in 7

Finals
Predators over Islanders in 5

The deadline for getting your picks in is on Saturday, April 16th @ 12:00 P.M., PST.

- May the best choke artist win!
So you have to pick all the rounds at once? So if you get all the first round picks wrong you probably get all the rest wrong too...
@ Shinan - That's the name of the game.

Yeah, sorry this took me a while to get up, as I started fiddling around with making a thread sometime last night and almost got it done before I eventually got side-tracked and had to go to bed – but, hey, at least it’s finally done and that’s better than nothing, right?

Anyways, this was a LOT harder than I initially thought when picking who was going to win each series in the first round, especially in the Western Conference, as other than the Ducks and the Predators series, and maybe even the Stars and the Wild one, the other two I feel could go either way.

I kept on going back and forth from the Blues beating the Hawks, then visa versa, and then finally ending up going with the Hawks in that one, even though a part of me feels that St. Louis actually might beat ‘em this time around. Same thing with the Kings and the Sharks; I ended up going ultimately with the Kings, but the Sharks could maybe pull off the upset in that one. Either way, this was tough. And you think it’d be easy considering how much of the Western teams that I get to see play on a daily basis verses the Eastern ones, but I guess not.

Anyways, here’s my picks so when I go to update the bracket and the scores and the leaderboard that nobody thinks that I cheated and quickly altered my picks under the cover of darkness:

1st Round
Ducks over Predators in 6
Kings over Sharks in 6
Stars over Wild in 4
Panthers over Islanders in 7
Red Wings over Lightning in 4
Penguins over Rangers in 5

2nd Round
Kings over Ducks in 7
Blackhawks over Stars in 4
Panthers over Red Wings in 5

Conference Finals
Blackhawks over Kings in 7
Capitals over Panthers in 4

Finals

- So I’m going with the Capitals this year…(again)

Don’t let me down this time around just like you’ve done the last couple of seasons, Capitals. This time - you cannot fail!

(...unless they play the Rangers in the 2nd round again, lol.)
1st Round
Ducks over Predators in 5
Sharks over Kings in 7
Stars over Wild in 6
Blackhawks over Blues in 7
Capitals over Flyers in 5
Penguins over Rangers in 7

2nd Round
Sharks over Ducks in 7
Stars over Blackhawks in 6
Islanders over Red Wings in 5

Conference Finals
Stars over Sharks in 5
Capitals over Islanders in 5

Finals
Capitals over Stars in 7

At least my pool is somewhat different that Addit's, if we are the only ones to participate.
1st Round
Ducks over Predators in 7
Kings over Sharks in 6
Stars over Wild in 5
Rangers over Penguins in 7

2nd Round
Ducks over Kings in 7
Blackhawks over Stars in 6
Panthers over Red Wings in 6
Capitals over Rangers in 7

Conference Finals
Blackhawks over Ducks in 7
Capitals over Panthers in 5

Finals
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Wait a minute...this isn't important.
author=kentona
At least my pool is somewhat different that Addit's, if we are the only ones to participate.

*quickly changes his picks to Kentona’s picks to guarantee a tie for 1st*

Oh wait, f**k, ankylo’s also participating in this, too.

...I guess I’ll just stick to what I got. :P

Hmmm…so we all like Mr. Washington’s chances this year, huh? Very interesting…(get your own separate cup picks, you moochers!)

Anyways, all your guys’ picks are up on the board now. At least we got 3! :D

author=InfectionFiles
Wait a minute...this isn't important.

Yes it is! Why wouldn’t it be important?

Alright... Some... Pickings. I haven't followed NHL in at least ten years. (Except for the occasional "Teemu Selänne is still the best" but now he too has stopped playing.)

Round 1
Kings over Sharks in 5
Stars over Wild in 4
Panthers over Islanders in 5
Lightning over Red Wings in 6
Penguins over Rangers in 6

Round 2
Ducks over Kings in 6
Stars over Blackhawks in 5
Lightning over Panthers in 7
Capitals over Rangers in 6

Round 3
Stars over Ducks in 6
Panthers over Capitals 7

Round 4
Capitals over Stars in 5
(Watch Shinan win the whole thing, lol...)

EDIT: Wait a minute...there are a lot of inconsistencies here with most of your selections, Shinan.

The first round is fine enough, but then in the second round you have the “Ducks over Kings in 6”, despite the fact that you have the Predators winning their first round series against the Ducks instead, so shouldn't it be “Predators over Kings in 6?”

Then you also have “Stars over Blackhawks in 5,” but you have the Blues winning their first round series against the Hawks instead. (Hoo boy…)

Then you ALSO have the Rangers there playing the Capitals in the second round when you picked both the Flyers AND the Penguins to move on instead of them. In fact, you have the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup over the Stars but you have the Flyers beating the Capitals in the very first round, so how can they even get there if they're out in the first? Lol.

You have to fix up your picks a little bit before I can officially submit this, okay? Luckily, you still have time.

...Man, when you said you haven’t followed the NHL in 10 years – you weren’t kiddin’, lol!
Well. I just adjusted for in case I was wrong then I'd still might get some round 2 points even if my first round picks were utter disasters.

EDIT: (and the other way around)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I'm predicting a contested NHL playoffs. The Vancouver Canucks all the way.
author=Shinan
Well. I just adjusted for in case I was wrong then I'd still might get some round 2 points even if my first round picks were utter disasters.

I guess that's not against the rules...?

author=kory_toombs

that would be highly contentious!
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
1st Round
Kings Over Sharks in 6
Wild over Stars in 6
Red Wings over Lightning in 6
Rangers over Penguins in 6

2nd Round
Predators over Kings in 4
Wild over Blues in 6
Red Wings over Panthers in 5
Flyers over Rangers in 6

Conference Finals
Predators over Wild in 6
Flyers over Red Wings in 6

Finals
Flyers over Predators in 6

The Algorithm is Love. The Algorithm is life.
was your algorithm keyed to 'pick shittiest team in matchup'?
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=kentona
was your algorithm keyed to 'pick shittiest team in matchup'?

Algorithm:

Take Base Picks (kentona)

Flip Coin: If heads, First team A, Second Team B
else First Team B, Second Team A

"Team A over Team B in 1d4+3"

repeat until done.
I'm sad the Blues and Sharks can't face each other until the conference finals, I wanted to roll them together and throw that entire round away as No Winner because I don't believe either team could actually win against the other.

oh god hockey everywhere round
Predators beat Ducks in 7
Sharks beat Kings in 5
Stars beat Wild in 5
Blues beat Blackhawks in 4

Islanders beat Panthers in 6
Lightning beat Red Wings in 5
Capitals beat Flyers in 4
Rangers beat Penguins in 5

yay hockey round
Predators beat Sharks in 5
Stars beat Blues in 4

Islanders beat Lightning in 7
Rangers beat Capitals in 6

wait what month is it again round
Predators beat Stars in 6
Islanders beat Rangers in 7

plz end round
Predators beat Islanders in 5

Don't mock me I saw Chicago play twice against Calgary and I am basing everything on those two games!
author=kentona
author=Shinan

I guess that's not against the rules...?

…You know what, thinking about it some more - yeah, that’s okay – I’ll accept it!

It’s definitely a bit on the unusual side - but, hey, at least it’s rather unique in itself, and I wanna see where this thing goes with such a strange way of doing things and see if it really pays off in the end. Maybe next year if it works out I'll apply the same strategy for myself.

author=kory_toombs

author=GreatRedSpirit
Don't mock me I saw Chicago play twice against Calgary and I am basing everything on those two games!

…That is the best idea that I’ve ever heard to pick teams since the invention of the dart board.

Well, so far other than the Penguins beating the Rangers last night – I'd say that things are looking pretty good for you so far.

EDIT: ...Alright. I put in Shinan’s, Hexatona’s and GreatRedSpirit’s picks in for the above. Now we got six players now and each of us now has a 16.6% chance to win that coveted achievement badge, which is still slightly better odds than the Edmonton Oilers winning the draft lottery again, lol.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Da Da dadadada da da Circus

Da Da dadadada da da Afro

Circus Afro Circus Afro

Polka dot polka dot polka dot Afro!
What the hell, Tampa Bay? I thought that most of your top guys were hurt, and stuff. Now you’re telling me that they’re not and they’re up 2-0? Balderdash!

- But some good games on tomorrow, though. I’ll probably watch the Sharks and the Kings game later on at night. Time for me to boil me up some hot dogs for that one!

Mmmm…hot dogs…
Pages: first 123456 next last