RMN YOUTUBE CHANNEL TALENT SEARCH AND DISCUSSION

Pages: first 123 next last
So I'm not sure if you guys know, but RMN has a Youtube channel. At it's height, it had quite a bit of activity, and then things, well...died.

THAT'S OKAY THOUGH, because now we're back in the game again, and we're looking to revive the Youtube channel like a phoenix with some new content, but we want you guys to get involved as well! Specifically, we need two things from the community;

1. What would you guys like to see with the Youtube channel? Tutorials, game reviews, playthroughs, discussion, creator interviews, events, shows? How would you like to see the Youtube content produced, and how often do you think it should happen? Would you watch any Youtube stuff on gamedev things?

2. But you don't have to wait on us, you can also submit content to us! Interested in doing some streaming, podcasts, tutorials? Let us know, and talk to us about submitting your videos. The best content just might end up on the channel!

Let's talk!
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
May be beyond the scope of the channel, but I've always wanted to see an "Extra Credits" type of show specific to RPG Maker, discussing things like game design and how it pertains to the engine, the history of the engine, dissecting the trends of people who play RPG Maker games, etc. I think there are a few of those out there, but those type of discussions aren't really as prolific.
I'd love to see trailers for upcoming games on there. Can you set up playlists or something on youtube that redirect to videos on other channels? It would just be cool to have a centralized place for rpg maker trailers since they're so niche, and it could be another push for devs to get their games out there.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Do you have an overall goal or direction for the channel? Would it be an attempt to expose RMN's activity to the outside world? Just another outlet for more video-focused endeavors? A little bit of both? Because that might affect what kind of content goes on the channel and the target audience.

If it's the former, I'd like to see more noise made for each month's featured game. It could be a short trailer for said game, or a review, or whatever. I think that'd be pretty cool. Plus, featured games would be a great way to draw in more potential traffic and encourage them to explore the site for more games.

If it's the latter, video reviews for just about any game from other members would be nice to see. A full Let's Play might be better off on their own channel that could be linked at the end of the review on RMN's channel should said LPer decide to go that route.

Some more general ideas would be mapping tutorials/requests from a prominent mapper coughLibertycough, or a podcast where other members talk about certain creative processes like how one goes about drawing custom art for their games or how they come up with a game concept. Interviews would be pretty cool, but that doesn't really feel like a Youtube thing, more like a podcast. Perhaps an excerpt from said interview goes on the channel with a link back to RMN's podcast?
You guys ideas are rockin'. Keep them coming!

author=HK
Can you set up playlists or something on youtube that redirect to videos on other channels?

I believe so, yes! Youtube has gotten a lot of cool features in the years!

author=Red_Nova
Do you have an overall goal or direction for the channel? Would it be an attempt to expose RMN's activity to the outside world? Just another outlet for more video-focused endeavors? A little bit of both? Because that might affect what kind of content goes on the channel and the target audience.

It's definitely both; the goal of the channel is to not only get RMN on the radar and attract more activity, talent, and 'buzz' to the community, but to also give the site another angle to approach game development (video) and to promote and encourage individual and group endevors as well. For example, having your game be the subject of an RMN video, or have you as a creator interviewed, is awesome for both you and RMN.

I want the channel to be something enjoyable and awesome for all parties involved; the community, the site, and the viewers.
Might be a good place to host monthly highlight videos: short trailers or commentary for featured/spotlighted games, and things to that effect.

I was thinking tutorial/how-to videos for RM, but I know that RMWeb tends to cover that pretty frequently.
A little late to chime in here, but yeah, it'd be fantastic to have some additional avenues (YouTube comes most to mind) to get our RMN-specific content out there, beyond the site itself.

There are already a lot of developers who post frequent video-blogs or gameplay snippets, so I doubt it would be difficult to unify it under some sort of central "hub" channel.

Do Liberty and Nessiah still hold "rights" to handling the podcasts? Tbh, it'd be nice to diversify with the guests just a bit, similar to the old RMNCast. Or perhaps we could look into different mini-podcast "shows" specifically for a review or game-design discussion. There are already a few members I can think of who would probably be great interviewers.

Has anyone reached out to you yet, Mog?
I've been trying to think of things to start a Youtube page about for years now. I just haven't had an incentive to try to start one all by myself, but if we're putting heads together for an RMN channel that may be the golden opportunity I've been looking for.

Ever since I started following Markiplier and watching guys like Egoraptor and others, I heavily considered trying to tackle the Youtube field as a Youtuber. At first I considered doing videos on how to do things in certain RPG Maker programs (Like simplistic event construction, what things do, etc) I just never found the time to get my hands on any sort of a webcam. I might have to seriously look into it if this is going to be a thing.

Edit - I forgot to mention I've been doing live streams of classic retro video gaming for a group of my friends for some time now, so I at least have the programs to get started!
author=Blind
Do Liberty and Nessiah still hold "rights" to handling the podcasts?

I believe sure, but I'm unsure on the exact situation with that. Hopefully they chime in with that!

author=Blind
Has anyone reached out to you yet, Mog?

Not yet, but people are free to!
I only found out about this thread now, so I may be a bit late, but I agree with everything mentioned so far (except that I'd actually like to see some interviews on the channel as well).

The RM Extra Credits sounds very promising. A continuation, or a new season/reboot of the RMN Catalog would be pretty cool as well. We could also have videos of some Hidden Gems/RMN Classics etc. Reviews in video format would be awesome too.

I think it's important to have some form of content that is uploaded with a decent consistency (every week/month etc.). YT channels usually feel a lot more alive that way.

I apologize for any potential grammar mistakes.
Things I support that's already been said:
author=Ratty524
May be beyond the scope of the channel, but I've always wanted to see an "Extra Credits" type of show specific to RPG Maker, discussing things like game design and how it pertains to the engine, the history of the engine, dissecting the trends of people who play RPG Maker games, etc. I think there are a few of those out there, but those type of discussions aren't really as prolific.

author=Housekeeping
I'd love to see trailers for upcoming games on there. Can you set up playlists or something on youtube that redirect to videos on other channels?

author=SgtMettool
I was thinking tutorial/how-to videos for RM, but I know that RMWeb tends to cover that pretty frequently.

Concerning the last one, I don't think RMWeb does much with the older makers. There are also some third party programs that could get some love on there (like utilities or DynRPG).

Another idea:
A series where someone let's plays only the first hour (or so) of a game, reviewing it along the way. If you have someone with a solid enough understanding of game design, it would not only be a good opportunity to help designers improve, but it could be enjoyable to watch.

For those wanting to make YouTube videos on the cheap:
CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/) is a great free option for recording your screen. While the "lossless" codec it uses doesn't necessarily play nice with other video software, you can easily drag it into Windows Live Movie Maker or the Apple equivalent and convert the video into 1080p before manipulating it.

Audacity (http://www.audacityteam.org/) is a free audio recording software option that is, in my opinion, quite nice in general. I combine it with a headset someone threw away (so junk, basically). I then manually go through and clean up sound spikes (the stuff Pop Filters prevent) and make liberal use of the Noise Removal function. While the noise removal does change my voice, the end result is clear and easy to listen to. There's also a Leveler option to keep the volume more consistent (useful when trying to balance with background music).

There are obviously better options out there, but that's the best free setup I know of.
Well, it's not that we held rights, just that we were the only ones who decided to do it and do the work for it. And we had a lot of different people on (and a list of people who have yet to come on), just we two were the main hosts. That said, if you want to do a podcast, there's nothing saying you can't.

I'm gonna pick the catalogue back up from where it left off - for those who don't know, I was playing the first ten minutes of every game on the site. Every. God. Damned. One. Got to about 80 and stopped because at that time I had computer issues.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I want to see videos of people's cute pets.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Liberty
I was playing the first ten minutes of every game on the site. Every. God. Damned. One. Got to about 80 and stopped because at that time I had computer issues.

I... wow. How many of those actually went anywhere within 10 minutes and how many still had you in the starter house o3o

author=SgtMettool

I'd think it'd be a good idea for things that would either be hard to explain or really wordy or something.. Point is I think some things require a video to follow along with depending on what it is

Anyways I'd happily help along with this depending on what needs to be done (and maybe I'll even get a chance to play some games)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
What if we had a "pick of the month" where we would cycle through a certain number of members who each month would talk about an RMN game they've played for a while and rather enjoyed? I'd totally be a part of that cycle of people if more wanted in.
Some were shorter, a lot were longer. There were some where i was like nooooo I cannpt play any more of thisiiiisdf, but hey, I endured.

I'm also thinking of an idea of using the youtube to give a quick run-down of the misao topics each month. Like just talk about the games. I might do that.

so many things i want to do, only x amount of time in the world ;.;
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
I'm also thinking of an idea of using the youtube to give a quick run-down of the misao topics each month. Like just talk about the games. I might do that.

I'd like to see something like this. Maybe some kind of LP showcase by various people, so it doesn't turn into "PLAY UNTIL YOU DIE, LIBERTY. YOUR OVERLORDS COMMAND IT!"
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
Maybe also round-robin a game, if you know what I mean? Play for so long, send the save on to the next guy down the line, ya know? Could be interesting depending on the game being played
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I'd be happy to do editing and general helping out as needed and if guys want little doodles of thumbnails and videos and what not
Pages: first 123 next last