GAME ENGINE PROBLEM

Pages: 1

I think the image tells *everything*

*The game i want to create is like
Hyper Light Drifter+Yume Nikki+Pom Gets Wi-Fi+ The World Ends With You+Undertale
-yeah. that's hard
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
It might help if you define what aspects of what game you want to incorporate into your game so we can help you decide, though if this is going in the direction I think it is, I'd have to say Gamemaker Studio, at least between the 2 of those.
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
It might help if you define what aspects of what game you want to incorporate into your game so we can help you decide, though if this is going in the direction I think it is, I'd have to say Gamemaker Studio, at least between the 2 of those.

Oh, right. I forgot.
-Textboxes,dialogues,choices (which is really hard in GMS, even with a textbox engine)
-Puzzles(Two of them are ok. But to be honest, GameMaker Studio is better for that)
-Battle System (Looks like MV is better for that)
-stuff like that but not that important
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=MeYavuz

Depends on what you have in mind for the battle system actually; if you're going with something relatively basic, MV with some plugins will more than suffice. If you're going for something more complex for battles, it'll probably boil down to which you'd rather learn; javascript(MV) or GML(GM Studio).
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
author=MeYavuz
Depends on what you have in mind for the battle system actually; if you're going with something relatively basic, MV with some plugins will more than suffice. If you're going for something more complex for battles, it'll probably boil down to which you'd rather learn; javascript(MV) or GML(GM Studio).

java seems better. and java can be used in gm:s too. however, thank you! I am going to download MV trial right now!
Depends on the type of puzzle you're after - MV is capable of on=map puzzles and other kinds. I've seen sudoku done in an RPG Maker before and MV would have all the capabilities of copying that - as an example.
Same with battle systems. MV can do most RPG types easily enough and there's plug-ins for on-map action-based ones or customising the inbuilt ones.
Text boxes and the like are inbuilt and easily customisable as well.

Give some more details about what, exactly, you need and we'd be able to give you more of an idea of what each engine can accomplish for you. It's no use trying to use a screwdriver on a nail if a hammer will do the job better, and vice versa.
author=Liberty
Depends on the type of puzzle you're after - MV is capable of on=map puzzles and other kinds. I've seen sudoku done in an RPG Maker before and MV would have all the capabilities of copying that - as an example.
Same with battle systems. MV can do most RPG types easily enough and there's plug-ins for on-map action-based ones or customising the inbuilt ones.
Text boxes and the like are inbuilt and easily customisable as well.

Give some more details about what, exactly, you need and we'd be able to give you more of an idea of what each engine can accomplish for you. It's no use trying to use a screwdriver on a nail if a hammer will do the job better, and vice versa.

The puzzles are going to be like the ones in OneShot. So that's not a problem. Also, the switches are really important for me (it can be done on both. i saw a tutorial to 'How to make RPG Maker style switches on GM:S' on youtube. and, there will be games inside the game i will make (I mean, there will be a computer on the game, and another computer in a game inside that computer. Of course, that's part of the story. No one would take that pain for nothing.). Aaand.... Yes that's it. All the other stuff in my head can be done in both easily
Zeigfried_McBacon
author=MeYavuz
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
author=MeYavuz
java seems better. and java can be used in gm:s too. however, thank you! I am going to download MV trial right now!

Java is not javascript. Also, game makers javascript capabilities are very limited ot begin with
( https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/001_advanced%20use/extensions/creating%20extensions.html )
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
author=MeYavuz
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
author=MeYavuz
Java is not javascript. Also, game makers javascript capabilities are very limited ot begin with
( https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/001_advanced%20use/extensions/creating%20extensions.html )

i know, i am just so lazy to write 5 letters.
Also, i didn't know.
Zeigfried_McBacon
No worries, no worries. You're new and some of us just wanna help. Different engines use different things to do what they're supposed to do, and it often means that as a result one of the bigger factors is the language it was made in, or uses to make stuff, but I'll spare you that lecture.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Why not both?
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
You know, I do still have a key for GM:S Pro, if you're so inclined, from some Humble Bundle way-back-when. It'll get you the OS X and Ubuntu exports as well

you should totally PM or something me if you want it

but this is assuming you have neither the engines to begin with
author=pianotm
Why not both?

Because i'm 12, and don't have money to spend for nothing.

author=TehGuy
You know, I do still have a key for GM:S Pro, if you're so inclined, from some Humble Bundle way-back-when. It'll get you the OS X and Ubuntu exports as well

you should totally PM or something me if you want it

but this is assuming you have neither the engines to begin with

Well, that's very nice! I'll pm you if i decide to GMS!
Through the image i didn't understand but one thing i got you know that you want to create a game as you wish.
Pages: 1