BRAVELY SECOND?

Pages: 1
Have people picked up Bravely Second? How do you like it? How does it compare to the first one? What are cool new job classes? Does it make sense to pick up the limited edition book/soundtrack?

I loved Bravely Default, so I'm almost for sure getting Bravely Second the next time I head to the store... Just seeing what others thought of it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
It's terrific. It's everything I wanted out of a sequel.

There's no reason to pick up the limited edition. Squenix doesn't need more money.

Best parts:
-Wizard class is awesome; you get to alter your spells (-any- spells), like changing the turn order or making them go off at the end of each turn.
-Charioteer class lets you triple- and quad-wield weapons. Yes, four weapons at once. I mean, you'll die in one hit since it replaces the head/body slots, but hey...
-The new asterisk battle theme (literally, for new asterisks) is awesome. I had to warm up to it, since it's very different from That Person's Name Is, but it's worth it.
-The story is actually interesting and intriguing, instead of an excuse plot for twenty hours and then saying "okay it was a deconstruction of the genre all along!!!). Yew and Edea battle for MC-ness, but both are great. By the time I figured out who the villain was, I was, like, triple-hooked.
-Tiz is cute in every outfit ever.
-All of the new asterisk wielders are fabulous. Aimee Matchlock is probably my favorite (and her Hawkeye class is soooo good).
-They cost a million billion dollars, BUT you can buy costumes that override your asterisk!!!!!!!! You can finally use the Hunter asterisk without hating every cutscene!

Meh parts:
-Dungeons are still kinda dull. I've found the game to be much more enjoyable with a halved encounter rate but on Normal (instead of BD, which I played on normal encounter rate with Hard difficulty). Some dungeons do spice things up, though, so they're not all stale.
-The way you get the old asterisks is kinda take-it-or-leave-it. I personally like it a lot, but I can see how other people would hate it.
-Some of the higher-pitched voices still do that annoying scratchy thing.

Overall, it's a big improvement on what was a pretty good game. I'm thirty hours in and enjoying myself greatly. Where BD was "yay crystals and amnesia," BS actually delves into its characters and destroys them... beautifully.

Trying to figure out what secret is hidden in the subtitle "END LAYER" this time around.

Edea wins the special attack theme this time around, after being in fourth last time imo:

Sadly, Tiz went from best to worst theme. Makes up for it with cute outfits, I GUESS.
Awesome! I played the demo and Aimee Matchlock was in that as an asterisk, and - agreed - she was awesome. And that class is super fun!

I typically shut off random encounters in dungeon and just set it to 200% and grinded when I was getting low on level. But the random encounter slider is the best! And the demo had autobattle settings for high speed grinding, which was nice.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I'd be careful with autobattle. I haven't used it yet. As I'm sure you noticed in the demo (I played it too), you can chain battles together -- which is FAR more efficient for grinding, especially if you equip Astrologian's "no enemy preemptive attacks" support ability.

Also, you'll want to at least fight some enemies in the dungeons, I think. They outdid themselves with the bestiary this time -- as you kill more of a monster, like in the demo, the characters will fill in lots of extra chatter in the entry. It's really worth checking out.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Set in my sights
get you tonight
love in the crossfire
ready, aim, FIRE!
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to hear what other people's end parties were in The first Bravely Default.

I happened to use the loop where one character poisons everyone three times, then cures them of the status - with the ability that gains me bp every time I'm inflicted with a status effect. So, they get to brave four times every turn, and they get it all back and then some.

What was my setup? I think I had a vampire with dark knight - so I was using the ability where the lower your hp is, the higher damage you do + the ability where if I ever died I would probably be revived, a black mage to be the BP battery + buffing with performer skills as time allowed, a Spiritmaster / Whitemage doing the healing and making us immune to all elements, and a Dual Weild Ninja/Spell fencer who could either change their blade to be elemental weakness or to heal themselves with drain.

The only thing missing from the setup was an easy way to force an elemental weakness on an enemy, but it wasn't a big deal.
I never actually beat Bravely Default's good ending, I did the other ending, resumed a saved game, went to chapter 8, discovered the glory of the BP Battery, and just... lost interest in the whole thing. It's been quite a while now so I don't remember who I beat the other final boss with, I think it was:
- Pirate with Free Lunch
- Spirit Master/White Mage combo
- Ringabel rocking the pompadour
- ???????, I want to say Vampire/Apothecary mix

I'm about to wrap up Spirit of Justice so I ran off and bought Bravely Second while on other errands the other day. I should finish up SoJ this weekend so we'll see how BS starts up soon.
Pages: 1