SUMMER MOVIE WAGER

Pages: first 123 next last
Alright so I just listened to the /filmcast episode on their 2016 Summer Movie Wager. And maybe this could be a fun activity for any film fans on RMN.

You make a top 10 list of movies you think are going to make big bucks this summer (+ 3 "dark horses") and then score it and see who wins.

The rules from /slashfilm:
2016 Summer Movie Wager Scoring:
  • Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).

The rest of the scoring goes like this:
  • 10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
  • 7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
  • 5 points if it was two spots away
  • 3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
  • 1 point for each dark horse that makes it into the Top 10

The scoring is tabulated so that you get the SINGLE HIGHEST point value for each pick- that is, if you get number ten right, you don’t get 13+3, you only get 13.

The rules as stated also only counts American box office and I will use Box Office Mojo as the source. US-only is fine by me. So the top list should be what 10 movies do Americans most want to see.

So is anyone up for it? I'll make my list later. And anyone participating should have their list in by Sunday (short notice I know but I only just thought of this).

And to make it more interesting. The person who wins could get a prize! If we can't come up with a more fun price I'll just give out a Steam game (or GOG game or whatever).
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
I'm in! Here's my hastily-cobbled list:

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. The Angry Birds Movie
3. Finding Dory
4. X-Men Apocalypse
5. Independence Day: Resurgence
6. Ghostbusters
7. Suicide Squad
8. The Conjuring 2
9. The Purge: Election Year
10. Pete's Dragon

Dark horses:
Bad Moms
Ben-Hur
Star Trek Beyond
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I don't actually know any movie that's coming out so I'll just choose the ones that are in the Release Schedule of the site Kenton linked which sound likely!
1• Finding Dory
2• The Secret Life of Pets
3• Ice Age: Collision Course
4• The Angry Birds Movie
5• Captain America: Civil War
6• X-Men: Apocalypse
7• Independence Day: Resurgence
8• Now You See Me 2
9• Suicide Squad
10• Star Trek Beyond

EDIT: I forgot the horses!
. Warcraft
. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
. Jason Bourne
Is there a list of 'summer' movies? Is Civil War (which comes out in the Spring) a "summer" movie? When does it end?

2. Finding Dory
3. X-Men: Apocalypse
4. Star Trek Beyond
5. The Angry Birds Movie
6. Suicide Squad
7. Independence Day: Resurgence
8. Warcraft
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
10. Jason Bourne

Dark Horses:
Pete's Dragon
The Secret Life of Pets
Ghostbusters
Deltree
May 1st through Labor Day (September 5th in the US this year), according to the rules.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
2. Finding Dory
4. Money Monster
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Independence Day: Resurgence
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
8. Ice Age: Collision Course
9. Snowden
10. Suicide Squad

Dark Horses:
Ghostbusters
Angry Birds
Rachet and Clank
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
God it was a trial just coming up with 10 non-doomed-to-fail movies.

2. Star Trek Beyond
4. Finding Dory I guess
5. Alice Through the Looking Glass
6. The Angry Birds Movie
7. Independence Day: Resurgence
8. Ghostbusters
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
10. Suicide Squad

Dark horses:
Ben-Hur
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping <- best goddamned title on earth
Central Intelligence

Let 2016 be forever remembered as the year where everyone just gave the f*** up because civil war is coming out so why even bother.
pianotm
Hexatona
God it was a trial just coming up with 10 non-doomed-to-fail movies.

I know. The only movies that make it these days are garbage. The Marvel movies are the only real exception and the Disney ones are just candy with no nutritional substance. When you get a really good movie, nobody gives it a second look. Green Room should have been a number one, but it doesn't even make any lists...except Cannes Film Festival.
Alright so I was offline over the weekend. But I guess it is time to make a list before Sunday is over.

2. X-men: Apocalypse
3. The Secret Life of Pets
4. Independence Day 2
5. Finding Dory
6. Alice Through the Looking Glass
7. BFG
8. Jason Bourne
9. Star Trek Beyond
10. The Nice Guys

Dark Horses:
The Angry Birds Movie
Suicide Squad
Ghostbusters

I actually thought that I'd do some kind of research or something. But I literally just wrote down this list in fifteen minutes looking at lists of movies...

Like... I wish I could predict what this year's "Pitch Perfect 2" is...

author=pianotm
I know. The only movies that make it these days are garbage. The Marvel movies are the only real exception and the Disney ones are just candy with no nutritional substance.

Let's be honest. The Marvel movies are also just candy with no nutritional substance :P
pianotm
Shinan
pianotm
I know. The only movies that make it these days are garbage. The Marvel movies are the only real exception and the Disney ones are just candy with no nutritional substance.

Let's be honest. The Marvel movies are also just candy with no nutritional substance :P

Mmm...mostly. The Disney Marvel movies are, definitely (except the Incredible Hulk...the one with Ed Norton), and most of the non-Disney one's are too, but the X-Men movies tend to be pretty good and actually do try to tell a story that makes you think, even if I do complain that they don't follow the comics at all.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I feel as if a majority of movies nowadays are candy with no nutritional substance.

The fact is that it's a slowly dying business, since more people are turning to streaming and more interactive media as oppose to going out to theatres.

If the movie also doesn't bombard viewers with product-placement ads and flashy special effects, it probably won't even be viable in this current market. That's actually how films are getting by these days.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
I'd don't know anything about movies, so I'm just going to have a random combination of movies that others have posted. Hopefully, it's correct.

2. Secret Life of Pets
3. Finding Dory
4. Angry Birds
5. Independence Day 2
6. Star Trek: Beyond
7. Jason Bourne
8. Alice: Through the Looking Glass
9. Ghostbusters
10. Suicide Squad

Dark Horses:
BFG
TMNT: Out of the Shadows
Warcraft
pianotm
@Ratty, I would hardly call 2 billion dollar tickets a dying industry, though there's definitely an effort on the part of studios to see who can make the cheapest, low quality crap possible. I mean, there's a reason that the CGI in a lot of 90s movies looks better than the CGI in today's movies.

I mean, shit, I've played FFXIV. I know what CGI is capable off. I mean, shit you want to lick the damned monitor. Yet movies with a budget just as big can't make the Hulk look any better than a crappy Cartoon Network character? Bullshit.
author=pianotm
I mean, there's a reason that the CGI in a lot of 90s movies looks better than the CGI in today's movies.

Oh man 90s CGI was the worst. There is a whole era there of blockbuster movies with "cutting edge" CGI that just looks terrible today. The parts that don't look terrible are the practical effects. CGI was used sparingly but looking at nearly all 90s movies that used CGI it's just pure garbage.

On the other hand today cgi is so widely used that entire shots are nothing but. And that gives stuff a different kind of terribleness. A kind of... ungroundedness where every thing in a shot is completely fake. A bit of that uncanny valley stuff.

But even this slightly unreal feeling of watching something where nothing is done in-camera is miles ahead of all the cgi work in the 90s.

EDIT: Also I'm going to say that the deadline passed. And anyone who I see with an "edited by" on their list from this point on before it ends is disqualified :)
Deltree
The plane crash in Air Force One is the "Colin's Bear Animation" of 90s cinema
author=Shinan
author=pianotm
I mean, there's a reason that the CGI in a lot of 90s movies looks better than the CGI in today's movies.
Oh man 90s CGI was the worst. There is a whole era there of blockbuster movies with "cutting edge" CGI that just looks terrible today. The parts that don't look terrible are the practical effects. CGI was used sparingly but looking at nearly all 90s movies that used CGI it's just pure garbage.

On the other hand today cgi is so widely used that entire shots are nothing but. And that gives stuff a different kind of terribleness. A kind of... ungroundedness where every thing in a shot is completely fake. A bit of that uncanny valley stuff.

But even this slightly unreal feeling of watching something where nothing is done in-camera is miles ahead of all the cgi work in the 90s.

EDIT: Also I'm going to say that the deadline passed. And anyone who I see with an "edited by" on their list from this point on before it ends is disqualified :)

I know how I am going to win
pianotm
Compare to the apatosaurus in Jurassic Park (1994), a CGI effect that still holds up, and to the gallimimus stampede, the two big CGI effects from that movie. Most people will have a hard time coming up with later CGI effects that can really compete with those two, except possibly Jurassic World, and the planetary vista CGIs from the Star Wars prequels.
so how am I doing so far?
author=kentona
so how am I doing so far?

You are pretty spot on with a lot of them.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?view=releasedate&yr=2016&season=Summer

Like right now you have exact matches on your top 3, and your 5 is currently 4 but your 4 hasn't opened yet.

If it ended now I bet you'd win :)
stupid Conjuring 2 is gon mess me up. And Warcraft is tanking! and TMNT 2 is doing worse than I expected.

Also, the death of Anton will give a boost to Star Trek Beyond, I bet... RIP

The Angry Birds Movie is the #2 videogame movie adaptation of all time (behind Tomb Raider). wow!
Pages: first 123 next last