SUMMER MOVIE WAGER

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
I had no idea Finding Dory would do so well. My strategy of betting on Middle America-caliber refuse is shaken.
The long-awaited sequel to arguably the most beloved Pixar movie ever made?

Yeah, that wasn't going to make money!
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=kentona
The Angry Birds Movie is the #2 videogame movie adaptation of all time (behind Tomb Raider). wow!

... Seriously? >_<
author=Ratty524
author=kentona
The Angry Birds Movie is the #2 videogame movie adaptation of all time (behind Tomb Raider). wow!
... Seriously? >_<

yes.

It's not a particularly challenging field of movies, mind you.

But The Angry Birds Movie is great! I loved it. Easily the best videogame movie adpatation I've ever seen. I liked it more than Zootopia and Frozen (but less than The LEGO Movie). It's Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs level, imho.

...I watch a lot of children's animated movies these days.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It makes sense that its doing well, with all the braindead people and kids these days with phones and app games
InfectionFiles
Not you or yours! I know you raise your kids with old games and the good stuff. I just feel sorry people don't have original stuff like Toy Story these days without it being so commercial. A movie based on an app game?! It's craziness!

edit: I'm just not a big modern person, so it's hard for me to understand this new generation and how coddled they are.
Each generation thinks that the previous generation is nothing but old farts and the next generation are useleas knownothings
InfectionFiles
But for ours it's actually true! 80s and 90s baby! That's all the good shit they are trying to remake/reinvent now
70s too, I guess. Marvel and all that fun stuff
Hint: all generations are useless and sanctimonious
InfectionFiles
author=kentona
Hint: all generations are useless and sanctimonious

That's kinda true, actually.
author=InfectionFiles
But for ours it's actually true!

I bet this has been said every generation too :D

author=Ratty524
author=kentona
... Seriously? >_<

I could say "seriously?" too but only in the sense that I had no idea Tomb Raider brought in so much money.

And I looked it up. Angry Birds has already made more money worldwide than Tomb Raider, though Tomb Raider did better in the US.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
i miss the the good old days when everything was made to sell action figures and toys, now they just try to push apps

damn millennials
one day I'll show you my kids' angry birds plushie collection
With about a month left I did a quick tally of the results currently:

1. Deltree, 41 points
2. Kloe, 38 points
3. Hexatona, 35 points
4. Kentona, 33 points
5. OddRabbit, 31 points
6. Shinan, 30 points
7. Pianotm, 26 points

Deltree currently has two spot-ons. With X-men and Conjuring 2
Kloe has the only 13-pointer with her prediction of Finding Dory at top spot.

Star Trek, Jason Bourne and Suicide Squad hasn't shown up in the top 10 yet and will probably shake things up quite a bit still. Other than that I believe most of the big movies have come out?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?view=releasedate&yr=2016&season=Summer
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Star Trek ended up being way, way better than I anticipated. Probably my fourth favorite Trek movie of all time. So, whoops.

Still, though, yesssss
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yeah, I absolutely loved Star Trek Beyond. It's definitely my favorite of the new films (it's the first one that REALLY feels like Star Trek.)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I thought Star Trek Beyond was okay. It took me a bit to really understand the plot and a lot of stuff thrown in felt mostly gratuitous (being mostly an action movie). I guess, with Star Trek, I generally prefer more of a balance between low key and flashy action, this mostly felt like I was watching a Marvel movie.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Yay! I got a 13-pointer! :D
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Ratty524
I thought Star Trek Beyond was okay. It took me a bit to really understand the plot and a lot of stuff thrown in felt mostly gratuitous (being mostly an action movie). I guess, with Star Trek, I generally prefer more of a balance between low key and flashy action, this mostly felt like I was watching a Marvel movie.

Yeah, well, it's still an Abrams production, so the pacing is still going to be similar to the previous two. Also, there were some plot points that weren't explained very well, but the sense of classic Trek was definitely there much more strongly than the previous two film. Unlike the last two movies, this one didn't forget that Star Trek is speculative fiction with optimism for humanity's future driving it.
Pages: first prev 123 next last