FINAL FANTASY MAFIA (GAME OVER)

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
OK. This mafia game is now happening for real.

Due to the fact that over two months have passed since the initial signup period, I'm going to need anyone who signed up before and still wants to play to re-confirm that you still want to play.

I am also opening the game up to anyone else who wants to sign up.

However, the primary gimmick of this game was tricking people into publically picking Final Fantasy roles for something else and then using those choices for a mafia game instead. While it's obviously not possible to keep the same exact gimmick for new players, I'd at least like to keep the more basic aspect of "You can choose what you get but not really."

So, for new players who didn't sign up the first time, I need two things:
1) You can pick a job or class, but not a specific ability. One ability from that job or class will be chosen for you.
2) I also want new players to choose an item from the list in the original post. But you won't actually get the item you choose. But I want you to choose anyway.

RULES:

Each game consists of several town aligned citizens and a small group of scum aligned mafia killers. The players must catch and lynch the killers in order to win. This game follows rules which are modified from the typical mafia.

BASIC RULES IN EFFECT:

1. Do not share any PMs from the moderator. Your private messages must be kept secret. You may describe what was in them, but directly quoting any portion of them will result in mod-kill.

2. The game is divided into day phases of 48 hours and night phases of 24 hours. There will be no talking on the main thread during night phase. Members sharing private chats may talk at any time.

3. No talking to other players about the game outside of Mafia, and NO PMING! You can PM me, but that's it. Obviously, the no PM rule is on the honor system but if I find out, there will be consequences.

4. Each day, players discuss who is most likely to be mafia and vote for one person to be voted off of the game. Voting follows standard rules. Votes are to be presented in the thread, using the following format: #Lynch lockez. If you for any reason you change your mind, use the following tag: #Cancel A lynch is successful when more than half of the players vote for the same person, or when the 48 hour day period ends. If there is a tie when the day ends, multiple people will be lynched.

5. Each night, scum will tell me who they want to kill, and other players will use their powers and items. Scum will have their own private chatroom to discuss who to kill.

6. You must post daily. If you're not talking, you're not playing the game. If you're not playing the game, then why are you here?

7. No editing posts. Only the moderator may edit his posts, and he can also edit you right into the grave if you break this rule too many times. However, double-posting is allowed in this topic.

8. No dead posting. If you're dead, you're dead.

ADDITIONAL RULES:

1. Kinda-Public Roles. Every player has a power, which were chosen before the game started. Most powers can be used once per night phase. Although you all know the names of each-others' powers, you don't know what they actually do. You can only try to guess.

2. Items. Similarly, every player starts with an item. Most items can be used only once and then are used up. Although you all know the names of each-others' items, you don't know what they actually do.

3. Experience Points. If someone is lynched during the day phase, and you were one of the people who votes for them, you gain 1 experience point. At 2 EXP you reach level 2, and at 5 EXP you reach level 3. Each additional level grants you another ability, which will not be publicly posted. It is to your benefit to join the bandwagon!

Once we get enough people, I will be sending out PMs to each player describing their role and their powers, and then we will get started.

For posterity, here is the original post I used to trick people into joining this, thinking it was a Final Fantasy themed tabledtop RPG:

Several years back I did a Final Fantasy forum RPG using modified Roll To Dodge rules. Then Dudesoft took it over for a while and changed the rules to a different system. It involved travelling through a merged Final Fantasy world where players travelled through the Narshe Caves and found Vincent Valentine losing control of his powers at the end of them.

The game last time had people creating characters by picking Final Fantasy abilities that Dudesoft and I then translated into tabletop RPG rules. For example Yellow Magic picked Draw as his starting skill, this let him absorb a single-use spell from an enemy that he could save to use later, and the spell depended on the enemy. Avee picked Bare Hands which caused his unarmed attacks to have the same hit bonus as weapon attacks.

And now I'm doing something again that's gonna be sort of similar! Yay! Simpler rules this time though.

This game will be very fast-paced and short compared to most tabletop forum games, and I don't expect it to last more than a couple weeks at the longest. Don't think of it as a long-term commitment, jusy be willing to log on a couple times per day while it's running.

The game system is extremely simple. You have no stats and no skill modifiers and no bonuses and no talent trees and no classes and no equipment and no crafting system. You don't even have HP. Pretty much the only RPG thing you have is experience points, which let you level up and gain more abilities by killing things. I'll explain the rules in a little more depth once we have players signed up and the game is about to start.

I would really like it if a ton of people joined. We had fourteen people the first time, which was the busiest forum RPG we've ever had, and I loved it. That eventually became too much for me to handle, but this time the game will be very short so it'll be fine!

To sign up right now all I need from you is one ability and one item you'll start with.

ABILITIES
When you join you can pick one usable spell or ability from any Final Fantasy game. Your character will have that ability. I will do my best to approximate the effects of that ability in this game's gameplay; it may not be as powerful as it was in the original game. Please try to pick actions, rather than passive abilities, due to the simple and statistics-free nature of the gameplay. You will be able to use your ability once per day.

ITEMS
You can pick one starting item from the following list:

Potion
Ether
Phoenix Down
Buster Sword
Gunblade
Auto Crossbow
Crystal Shield
Clothes Made Entirely Out of Belts
Wanted Poster Identifying Yourself As Captain Basch Von Ronsenberg (Don't Listen To Ondore's Lies)
Smoke Bomb
Plot-Relevant Pendant
Moogle Charm
Suspicious Package, Addressed To The Village Of Mist
Interceptor the Dog
Al Bhed Primer XIV
Collector's Catalogue
12 Hour Looping Video Of Tidus's Laugh
Tissue

Original players who cancelled:
Ilan14 - Quick Attack / Wanted Poster
Jeroen_Sol - Mug / Interceptor
Avee - Dispatch / Gunblade
Unity - White Magic / Plot-Relevant Pendant
Seiromem - Slots / Tidus Video

Players
Pianotm - Summon / Suspicious Package, Addressed To The Village Of Mist
Liberty - Protect / Crystal Shield
Dudesoft - Rage / Al Bhed Primer XIV
Kloe - Heal / Tissue
XoeIsCooI - Rend Shield / Smoke Bomb
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK - X-Dress / Buster Sword

Psy_wombats - Drain / Ether
Blobofgoo - Spirit Link / Collector's Catalogue
InfectionFiles - Polka Polka / Clothes Made Entirely Out of Belts
Ratty524 - Hide / Auto Crossbow
Gourd_Clae - Reflect??? / Interceptor the Dog
SZandex - Row / 12 Hour Looping Video Of Tidus's Laugh
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I like how Tissue (consolation prize of Gold Saucer) is a starting item. Whosoever starts with it, their quest can only go downhill from there.
This looks really interesting, so I may try it!

For an ability, I think I'll pick Quick Attack, because why not?

For an item, I'll gladly take the Wanted Poster Identifying Myself As Captain Basch Von Ronsenberg Of Dalmasca! XD
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I'm game!

For the ability, I'll take Summon.

For the item, I'll take Suspicious Package, Addressed To The Village Of Mist.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Cool! I'm totally in!

I'll pick Mug as ability, and Interceptor the Dog as item.
author=LockeZ
Avee picked Bare Hands which caused his unarmed attacks to have the same hit bonus as weapon attacks.

...And never got to use it because he died on the first roll. XD

I'm definitely interested in this new game!

My ability will be Cyan's Dispatch/Fang.

My item will be Gunblade :D

Protect as a skill and Crystal Shield as a starting item.

author=Corfaisus
I like how Tissue (consolation prize of Gold Saucer) is a starting item. Whosoever starts with it, their quest can only go downhill from there.
I dunno, I think the worst would be the laugh track. At least a tissue has some use.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Liberty
Corfaisus

I dunno, I think the worst would be the laugh track. At least a tissue has some use.

Torturing an enemy...?
author=pianotm
Liberty
Corfaisus
Torturing an enemy...?
Unless you also start with earplugs you'll also be torturing yourself. 'Tis a double-edged sword.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Easy, just make yourself a deaf character. Problem solved!
But then you have the issue of also being deaf in order to counteract that. That's a negative effect forced on you due to having that item - a negative you wouldn't have if you just went with the tissue.

Tissue > Tidus laugh track
Jeroen_Sol
I like how we're discussing the usefulness of random junk items that were probably thought up in five minutes in a forum game. XD
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Cool to see this happening again. Good luck!
author=Jeroen_Sol
I like how we're discussing the usefulness of random junk items that were probably thought up in five minutes in a forum game. XD

It's part of the fun. X3
unity
You're magical to me.
I'll take White Magic and Plot-Relevant Pendant :DDDDD
I'll pick Smoke Bomb and Rend Shield
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Dudesoft! Join! You won't be disappointed!
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I'll have the Slots ability and take a 12 hour looping video of Tidus' laugh!
author=Seiromem
I'll have the Slots ability and take a 12 hour looping video of Tidus' laugh!

All I can see is Cait Sith using his megaphone to broadcast that video. ;.;
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=LockeZ
Dudesoft! Join! You won't be disappointed!
You will be, with my spotty availability... If there's still room tonight, I'll sign up.

wait no... EDIT:
Ability: Rage
Item: Al Bhed Primer XIV