FINAL FANTASY MAFIA (GAME OVER)

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean, you and he can both run your games right now if you want, there's no limit to how many forum games can go on at once.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Well, I can be online a few times per day to post actions just fine, but mafia games are on a whole different level of investment.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
As Libby and Jero said, it's hard to do a mafia and two at once would be really hard...
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
You know, as a compromise, you could postpone this particular game for a little while until all participants have more time again (and have calmed down about the surprise Mafia trick). The rules and the list of sign-ups can stay the same, it's not like some delay between the sign-ups and the actual beginning of the play time would destroy the game, correct?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, that's fine if people want to, though I feel like it might actually cause more problems, since people signed up expecting the game to start very soon and take up their time over the next couple weeks.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
LockeZ, you choose and I'll follow, it's okay! :D
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Or, instead of letting people pick new items and skills or randomly deciding new ones, you could just ferry over our skills and items to whoever replaces us. Then they will still have been picked while someone was unaware the game was a mafia game.

I'm sorry, I won't be playing anything as intense as a mafia game for quite a while. My upcoming forum game will be long-term as well, so I'm only going to play laid-back games until that's over and done with.
LockeZ
Well, I tried to trick people into thinking it was a faster-paced RPG with several turns per day to combat this exact problem. Apparently I failed?
Oh... Well, sorry LockeZ, but I wasn't really planning on playing a Mafia game, so I can't really play now. Sorry. :(
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Call me crazy, but, I was specifically avoiding this thread because I thought it was a forum RP. Though, if one must be fair, I'm not really sure if I'd be more up for this if I knew up-front that it was a mafia game.
LockeZ
Well, this was a failed experiment. I fully expected people to do what Marrend did, but I was pretty sure that no one would do the opposite, since mafia takes so much less attention and time than an RPG in my mind. Obviously I was wrong and other people think of them very differently.

GAME CANCELLED INDEFINITELY
Aw.

I'd guess over-exposure of mafia. When we play it doesn't tend to last long - a few games before people get sick of it. Personally I've been part of three recently, so I'm a bit burned out, which is why I was after something short RP-wise - especially since you marketed it as a short, simple RP game. I was looking forward to that. There were a few who didn't want to play but others do, so don't give up yet!

Effort-wise, I think mafia takes more out of you because you do have to search through what's been said before and you can't trust anyone, where-as RP is more reacting to what is being presented to you. You can have your stats on hand for quick use and you don't have to search back and look for clues in past posts or second-guess fellow players much.

A hybrid game could probably work out well - trying to defeat the dark lord before he takes over the world, but knowing there's a traitor in your party...
unity
You're magical to me.
Aw, and I changed my avatar and everything.

Ah well.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Well, on the bright side, you've motivated me to run a couple weeks-long mini RP.
I'll open sign ups tonight.
Oh. Um. Awkward.
>.>
<.<
:shuffles and sits on notes:

Carry on.
LockeZ
Inb4 Dudesoft's game is ALSO mafia
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
ffffff
spoiler alert!
Fine. NM. CANCEL GAME INDEFINITELY.

-Moves aside for Liberty-
But it will be back later?
LockeZ
OK. This mafia game is now happening for real.

Due to the fact that over two months have passed since the initial signup period, I'm going to need anyone who signed up before and still wants to play to re-confirm that you still want to play.

I am also opening the game up to anyone else who wants to sign up.

However, the primary gimmick of this game was tricking people into publically picking Final Fantasy roles for something else and then using those choices for a mafia game instead. While it's obviously not possible to keep the same exact gimmick for new players, I'd at least like to keep the more basic aspect of "You can choose what you get but not really."

So, for new players who didn't sign up the first time, I need two things:
1) You can pick a job or class, but not a specific ability. One ability from that job or class will be chosen for you.
2) I also want new players to choose an item from the list in the original post. But you won't actually get the item you choose. But I want you to choose anyway.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
In it. I think I picked something, like...a long freaking time ago.

Here we go.
me
For the ability, I'll take Summon.

For the item, I'll take Suspicious Package, Addressed To The Village Of Mist.