THROUGH DARK AND TWIST [FORUM RPG']

Hello, welcome to a short RP 'Tabletop' game! It'll hopefully only take a few weeks to get through and will be pretty simple style-wise. Your stats will be small, your skills will be minimal and you will have to co-operate in order to escape capture.

The Story
You are one of a group of heroes who have found themselves inside a dark cell in a gothic-styled dungeon. You have no recollection of how you got here (though your memories of before then are fine) or why you've been captured, but it is up to all of you to work together to find a way out!

Your Build

You may choose one of four base classes:

Warrior: High POW. Medium INT and CON. Low AGI. +1 Armour.
Mage: High INT. Medium AGI and CON. Low POW. +1 Spell.
Rogue: High AGI. Medium AGI and POW. Low CON. +1 Lockpick.
Farmer: High CON. Medium AGI and POW. Low INT. +1 Food.

Eventually, as you gain levels, you will be able to promote to one of two hidden new classes. These will be based on how you've built your hero.

Stats

There are four stats:
CON - this denotes your defence, health and resistances against physical ailments.
POW - this denotes your strength, damage output and physical ability.
INT - this denotes your intelligence, magic and non-physical resistances.
AGI - this denotes your speed, acrobatic performance and luck.

Your class denotes your base stats, and you may add 5 points into any of those stats to customise your build.

Every time you level up you will gain 2 points to put into these stats and build your character. Experience will be based on damage done to enemies (each point of damage will be +1 EXP), so it benefits you to attack instead of standing back and letting others do all the heavy work.

Your Skills

You may start with one of the following skills, based on your class. Mages may pick two skills.

Warrior
Slash - A fast slash. Deals more damage based on your AGI.
Shield Bash - A protective stance that baits the enemy to attack you. If they do you will deal damage based on your CON.
Stab - A powerful attack that is based on your POW.
Critical Strike - An attack that does low damage but has a chance at dealing double damage based on your INT.

Mage
Wind Spin - Wind-based damage that hits all enemies. Based on AGI stat.
Fire Bloom - Fire-based damage that deals heavy damage. Based on POW stat.
Healing Dew - Water-based healing. Based on INT stat.
Protective Dust - Earth-based protection against ailments and damage. Based on CON stat.

Rogue
Shadow Strike - Low damage, chance to blind based on AGI.
Sweet Spot - Low damage, can maim a foe based on INT.
Slash Hack - A slashing attack based on POW.
Block Stab - Strike back for double damage if enemy attacks. Based on CON.

Farmer
Fumble Flail - Variance damage based on POW and dice roll.
Tumble Weed - Dodges all attacks for this turn, based on AGI.
Infuriate - Increases ally's attack for a turn, based on INT.
Slake - Heal self/ally, based on CON.

Your Items

You may start the game with one type of food, one piece of armour and one memento. Warriors may pick two pieces of armour. Farmers may pick two pieces of food.

Food
- Cheese and Bread (+5HP)
- Wine (+3HP, 2 uses)
- Jerky (+3HP, Guts)

Armour
- Leather Bracer (+1 CON, +1 POW)
- Boots (+1 CON, +1 AGI)
- Kneepads (+1 CON, +1 INT)
- Padded Tunic (+2 CON)

Memento
- Silver Coin
- Leather Sheath
- Wooden Pendant
- Silver Ring
- Diary Page
- Leather Pouch
- Lock of Hair
- Carved Doll

Weapons
You do not start with weapons - they will be found through your journey. As such it will very much be based on what you find. You may end up wielding some strange weapons indeed - from chair legs to chain whips to monster limbs.

Your Character

To join tell me the following:

Name: Name of your character
Class: The class they are
Stat changes: Where you spend your 5 points
Skill/s: Which skill/s they have
Items: Their starting items.

Phobia/s: (Must have one)
Description: Even just a basic one.
Image: If you have one. Not a necessity.

How to Play

You will be shown maps that you can explore. You will have a certain amount of turns overall to find your way out of the area you find yourself in, but there will be ways to increase that amount. This means you need to balance thorough exploration with moving through the dungeon. Don't explore enough and you might miss out on finding items to help you with your quest. Explore too much and you might find yourself failing the quest.

A turn will consist of one action per person. Most turns will be based on either exploring or combat. For the most part I'll be pretty lenient with what you can do - interacting with people or items in specific ways. There will be some limitations, but for the most part I'll allow almost any actions and react to them.

Exploration
- inspect: interact with different parts of the map
- heal: use items to heal
- move: go to the next map area
- rest: uses 4 turns to fully heal all party members. -1 food each.
- special: some maps may have special options like shopping or talking to NPCs.

Combat
- skill: use one of your skills
- heal: use an item to heal
- escape: move back one room. You will get two turns to recuperate (so you cannot sleep) but the enemy will chase you. Running too much can get you cornered and may cause you to fail in your mission.Y

Win/Lose Conditions
You will win the game if you manage to escape before the end of the allotted turns.
You will lose if you do not manage to escape before the end of the allotted turns, or if all of you DIED.

DIED is the loss of all of your LIFE during combat (and in some cases, outside of it). Each player will start with 3 LIFE. If you lose all LIFE you will have DIED.

There are some ways to gain more LIFE, and even a few ways to restore one who has DIED, but they are few and far between. You will lose one LIFE if your HP hits 0. At that point you will be removed from combat.

If everyone falls in a battle they will be transported back to the start of the dungeon and randomly lose armour, weapons and items. There will also be a 4-turn penalty applied, though all HP and MP will be restored and ailments will be removed.

Status Effects
There will be a series of status effects (ailments and buffs) during the game which affect different aspects of your character. I'll be adding them to the list as we come across them, but here are a few basic ones.

Buffs
Guts - If your HP hits 0 within the next 2 turns you will heal +1 HP

Ailments
Blind - Enemy chance to hit greatly reduced for 1 turn. (D6 roll by GM. 1/2 = hit. 3-6 = miss)
Maim - Reduces enemy ability. -2 Random Stat (D4 roll by GM)

Inventory Limits
There are limitations to your inventory space. You may hold up to 16 items. Food and consumable items will stack. Weapons, different treasures and armour will not. There are ways to increase your inventory space, however it is expected that you share amongst yourselves so that no one person has everything.

Keep in mind that you can only use the items that are in your own personal inventory. This means giving just one person all the food is a bad idea.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if one person is KO'd in battle then all their inventory is inaccessible until after the battle. If someone DIES, then some of their inventory will be randomly removed (amount is D6 roll, picked at random). You may pick up what is left from their corpse, however.

Passive Skills
Interaction may require the use of passive skills such as lockpicking, deciphering and the like. The success of these skills will be based on what your class is expected to know - dealing with animals, for example, is something Farmers will excel at, but they'd be terrible at reading ancient languages.

For the most part these skills will be based on where they fall under the different stat types - the higher the base stat for a class, the more likely they are to succeed and the lower the base stat, the less likely they will succeed.

I will determine successes through dice rolls. If a passive falls under a high stat (for example, lockpicking for a Rogue) then they will get two tries per turn for that skill. If they fail the first and succeed the second, then it will count as a success. However, depending on the skill some classes may not be able to ever succeed - if this is the case, I will let you know after one try at the skill.

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Micah
Male

Mage:

POW:
CON: +2
INT: +2
AGI: +1

Skills: Wind Spin, Healing dew

Food: Wine
Armor: Boots
Memento: Silver Coin

Arachibutyrophobia (fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth) and Iatrophobia (fear of going to the doctor)
Tall and skinny. His blue robe looks like it was probably once very high quality but is now thread bare and patched. His hat is a little too big, so he cut eyeholes in it because he got sick of pushing it back up every few minutes. His boots are fine traveling boots and it's clear that the reason his robes are so shabby is because he put all of his money and care into his footwear. He has a satchel in which he carries his journal, his personal grimoire, and various herbs that have no real use outside of spagyrics.

Looking at the Jerky's description, can you tell us what "Guts" is for?
Here's my character:

Roux (pronounced "Roo")
Male

Warrior

POW: +2
INT:

Skill: Shield Bash

Food: Cheese & Bread
Armor: Leather Bracer, Padded Tunic
Memento: Leather Pouch

Phobia: Gynephobia, the abnormal fear of women (because it's bound to lead to funny situations).

Description: A healthy young man used to travels and seeking adventure. He wears warm clothes and a circlet to keep his scruffy, fiery red hair from covering his eyes. He is very curious and likes to learn about things. In battle, he cares about the safety of others and often takes on a tanking role. He fears nothing except for 50% of the population.

Character Sheets

CELLBLOCK A

Dudesoft/Lit Meandr

Money Pouch
0 Sika
6 silver square coins

Skills
Critical Strike - An attack that does low damage but has a chance at dealing double damage based on your INT.

Equipment
Knee pads - +1 CON, +1 INT
Torch - +1 POW. If lit, fire damage. Lit, lasts 5 turns. (Makeshift weapon/Tool)
Metal Bar - +2 POW. (Makeshift weapon/Tool)

Consumables
1x Jerky - +3HP, +GUTS (If your HP hits 0 within the next 2 turns you will heal +1 HP)

Other
Diary Page - A personal effect.
Scraps of cloth

Seiromem/Ignithos

Money Pouch
0 Sika

Skills
Protective Dust - Earth-based protection against ailments and damage. Based on CON stat.

Equipment

Consumables
1x Wine - +3HP, 2 uses

Other
Carved Doll - A personal effect.
Empty Bucket

Kloe/Chloe

Money Pouch
0 Sika

Skills

Equipment
Boots

Consumables
1x Wine - +3HP, 2 uses
1x Bread and Cheese - +5HP

Other
Lock of Hair - A personal effect.

Bart_Sol/Jet

Money Pouch
0 Sika

Skills
Sweet Spot - Low damage, can maim a foe based on INT.

Equipment

Consumables
1x Wine - +3HP, 2 uses

Other
Wooden Amulet - A personal effect.
1x Lockpick - Useful for opening locks. Do have a habit of breaking in unskilled hands.

CELLBLOCK B

Mirak/Chadwick Foreman

Money Pouch
0 Sika

Skills

Equipment
Leather Bracer - +1 CON, +1 POW

Consumables
1x Wine - +3HP, 2 uses

Other
Carved Doll - A personal effect.

fearul/Jane Will

Money Pouch
0 Sika

Skills

Equipment

Consumables
1x Wine - +3HP, 2 uses

Other
Diary Page - A personal effect.

pianotm/Micah

Money Pouch
0 Sika

Skills
Wind Spin - Wind-based damage that hits all enemies. Based on AGI stat.

Equipment
Boots - +1 CON, +1 AGI

Consumables
1x Wine - +3HP, 2 uses

Other
Silver Coin - A personal effect.
Wooden Ring - A small ring you found under the straw bed. (unchecked)
Letter - A letter you found under the straw bed. (unchecked)

Avee/Roux

Money Pouch
4 Sika

Skills
Shield Bash - A protective stance that baits the enemy to attack you. If they do you will deal damage based on your CON.

Equipment
Padded Tunic - +2 CON
Leather Bracer - +1 CON, +1 POW

Consumables

Other
Leather Pouch - A personal effect.
1x Lockpick - Useful for opening locks. Do have a habit of breaking in unskilled hands.

Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Name: Chloé

Class: Farmer
Stats: +3 CON, 0 POW, +1 INT, +1 AGI
Skill/s: Slake

-Items-
Food:
Wine, Bread and Cheese.
Equipment: Boots
Memento: Lock of Harold's Hair

-Other-
Phobia/s:
Arachnophobia (fear of Spiders) and Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (fear of long words)
Description: An Energetic young girl with pink hair, who works as a farmer and is no stranger to love and will never tell a lie and desert you.

Name: Jet (Male)
Class: Rogue
Stat changes: +0 CON, +1 POW, +2 INT, +2 AGI
Skill: Sweet spot
Items: Wine, Kneepads, Wooden pendant

Phobias: Claustrophobia (Fear of confined spaces)and Ornithophobia (Fear of birds)
Description: A short, young man who has lived his entire life on the streets. His clothes are quite clearly ragged and dirty from his travels. He has been working as a mercenary thief for several years and cares little about other people, as long as he gets his money.
Image:
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Hell, I am going to sign up for this asap. However, right now I have like ten things on my plate. I'll try to gather my shit together by later tonight.

We just rescued a baby raccoon, got some comic work to do, and I am looking into the Bun-bo comic that fell to the wayside ...last year? Or was it this year? Eh. BBL.
I'm busy busy today but I'll sign up tomorrow
We'll start after then, then. >.<)b
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Holy crap i can be a farmer?

Chadwick Foreman the Farmer

POW: +2
INT:

Skill: Slake
Food: Cheese and Bread, Wine
Armour: Leather Bracer
Memento: Carved Doll

Phobia: Phronemophobia - Fear of Thinking
Description: Chadwick Foreman is a young farmer from the grassy hills of the south. Chadwick was taught how to care for livestock and the land since he was born, and used to lead a simple lifestyle in his farm where his only company were the cows and chickens that he cared for. One day his carefreeness got the better of him and he ate dumplings filled with brugmansia that he mistook for squash blossom. He literally has no idea what happened or how he got where he is, but the brugmansia's high toxicity has taken a toll on his brain, and he cannot strain it to formulate complex thoughts for when he does, he suffers horrible hallucinations.
Dudesoft
Name: Lit Meandr
Class: Warrior
Stat Changes: POW:1 INT:2 CON:1 AGI:1
Skill/s: Critical Strike
Items: Jerky, Kneepads, Leather Bracers, Diary Page

Phobias: Fear of pure darkness, dying alone, unknown horrors of the deep, falling from a cliff, tripping over a cape and being impaled by something pointy, orcs, demons, unspeakable ancient evils from the nether realm, and ventriloquist dolls. Yikers!
Description: Careful by nurture, Lit is not one to take chances. Always ready to plant his feet and aim carefully. There is no aspect of Lit's life that is without caution. Food must be thoroughly inspected, dungeon floors must be carefully tested, and dare anyone suggest opening a chest without first checking for tricky death traps! As the nature of his anxiety-ridden existence would dictate; Lit is lithe, fleet of foot, and his eyes are quite keen on locating danger.
He wears a simple tunic, simple belt, simple boots, simple mantle, simple earring, and Masterwork Kneepads of Protection. The worst nightmare an adventurer could possibly come across, is his knees being worn out. Safety first. The leather bracers on his person, were his grandfather's. The great adventurer, Moar Meandr. Lit wears them in his memory, trying to one day make his grandfather proud.
Image:

*fixed.
Dudes, you get 2 armours as a warrior~

INVENTORY information added to first post under How To Play
Dudesoft
Oh, I see. Sorry, wasn't sure what +1 Armour meant. This makes sense.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Name: Ignithos
Class: Mage
Stat changes: +3 Con +2 Int
Skill/s: FIre Bloom, Protective Dust
Items: Wine, Kneepads, Carved Doll

Phobia/s: Alektorophobia and Genuphobia

Description: Completely bald, without eyebrows, the young man’s eyes burn a bright orange. He wears little clothing, just basic cloth covering the important bits and his knees. Most importantly his knees. Extremely important.
Okay, I think I'll cut the limit there. Don't want too big a party.

Fearful, you're in providing you can post up your details soon.

8 is a good number.
Okay I'll be about 15-20 min
Name: Jane Will
Class: Mage
Stat Changes: +5 Int
Skills: Healing Due, Fire Bloom
Items: Wine, Kneepads, Diary Page

Jane Will is a math wizard, they can draw math graphs and can use math to solve seemly impossible problems like honesty

Dudesoft
Fearful, you get 2 spells.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
You could perhaps make it healing due lvl 2 if time runs out.
There is no level 2.