LEGEND MAKER

Pages: 1
I just downloaded the alpha demo for Legend Maker (formerly Zelda Maker). This has once again reminded me of the difference between an alpha and a beta. It's not bad, it's just very early in development. I had some fun playing around with it anyway though.

What's there right now is rather limited, and nothing is explained, but it's enough to make a dungeon with chests, enemies, items, and some simple old-school "puzzles" in the way of movable blocks, bomb walls, key-doors, etc.

I was very excited when I saw it come back up with the new name. I had seen it a while back and didn't know what happened to it. Evidently they had to do a lot of redesigning graphics and so forth in addition to the name change. If anybody's interested they do have a facebook page at Dream Mix, and the kickstarter just went live a couple of days ago.

I had started making a "Zelda parody" with RMXP, but being able to do it as an actual adventure in the proper style is going to be so much cooler.

Has anybody around here been following this? Are people excited about it?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I had never heard about this software.

So is it like SMBX but eagle-eye Zelda themed?
Might give it a go when (and if) they end up releasing a full version with customization options.

Shame about the developers not having a dedicated website for the engine, all i could find when googling was a subreddit and the aforementioned kickstarter campaign.

I hope they pull it off. I can think of a few things that i'd like to do with an engine like that.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
How does it compare to Zelda Classic?
I haven't actually tried SMBX yet, although it seems like I would have. It is eagle-eye view style. They also have a youtube channel with a number videos and a facebook page where they respond pretty well to questions. Dream Mix is their company name.
Dream Mix at facebook...
and on youtube.

Zelda Classic... OMG, I think that may actually be what I thought used to be Zelda Maker before they changed their name. I had remembered seeing some kind of Zelda game-making engine a long time ago, and when I went to look for it, I found Legend Maker. Now I'll have to download Zelda Classic so I can compare.

Unfortunately, I have some work to do first, because last night Bill Gates decided I needed to have Windows 10 installed. It was a long angry night. Now, I feel like I should either create a new system back-up disc, figure out how to revert to Windows 7, or both before I install any more new programs.

... it installed Candy Crush King on my computer ... that game is like the mascot for everything I hate about smart phones. I do not want a computer that works like my phone, I already don't like the way phones work. But I digress!

Since it is no longer directly a Zelda themed, Legend Maker has original artwork and graphics that are something like a hybrid of Zelda and RPGMaker. The way the interface is set-up in the alpha is extremely fluid, but since it is only one component of the whole program I don't if it will always be that way. I can say that I had a lot of fun throwing together an old-school style dungeon in relatively short time.
wtf Windows 10 installed Candy Crush on your machine??
E:
'Humanity weeps as Candy Crush Saga comes preinstalled with Windows 10'

fuck.
So, I made my backups and accepted my fate with Windows 10, then I installed Zelda Classic for comparison. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out why I can't maximize it and gave up, it's just so tiny! So, I changed my screen resolution while I was working with it, no biggie. This thing is SO extensive! At this point, I sort of understand why, but I have to admit it was intimidating to try and jump into. I think I'll have some fun working with it, but I'm definitely going to finish reading the tutorial before I try again.

As far as comparing Zelda Classic to Legend Maker, it's hard to say for sure, because the demo that's out for LM is so streamlined right now. I don't know how many options/features might be added along the way, or exactly what the interface will look like in the end. Right now, it seems much more intuitive and fluid, but again it's very limited so that may not be as true of the full program.
The best way I could put it is that by comparison
Zelda Classic kind of feels more like using FFHackster, while
Legend Maker feels more like an RPGMaker.

In the end, I think I may learn to use Zelda Classic for making games that are specifically Zelda stories/parodies/fan-fiction, and use Legend Maker for more original games of similar gameplay style. I am now excited about both!

RE: Candy Crush
People who think Hollywood is out of ideas should take a closer look at the app store on their phone. There are more versions of that thing than Tetris at this point, and don't get me started on puzzle games that try to act like they're RPG's. I can feel the bile rising...
Oh, and by the way, programs in windows 10 are now referred to as apps. Not applications, just apps. Apparently, Microsoft wants to make the experience of using your PC, tablet, and smartphone more fluid and similar, and they've decided to make the PC feel more like a phone rather than the other way around. Right down to having an "App Store" on your PC. Also, the new calculator is fugly. Like, you know the comments Weasel makes about how Deadpool looks? That.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Zelda classic is NOT Legend Maker. Also, ZC is working on a major update in the form of a 3.0 release.

Mirak
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Also, ZC is working on a major update in the form of a 3.0 release.
Will they hopefully make an interface that's above 'poor' this time? I'd pay good money for that.

Although to be fair that only time i ever used zc it looked like this

so i don't know if they've already civilized the software.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Mirak
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Also, ZC is working on a major update in the form of a 3.0 release.
Will they hopefully make an interface that's above 'poor' this time? I'd pay good money for that.

Although to be fair that only time i ever used zc it looked like this

so i don't know if they've already civilized the software.
They definitely updated the UI, but it's still a bit hard to use.

It looks more like this now:

Windows 98 instead of Commodore.
I think I might try the Demo for Legend Maker. I've seen the videos and it looks somewhat interesting, as I am a fan of Zelda games myself.

In fact, I like to consider Zelda games to have inspired my passion to make games.
Mirak
@Ratty: Well let's hope the next update pumps it up to XP quality.
Legend Maker has a subreddit where people are posting levels made with the demo. So, I put my little trilogy of dungeons up. You have to move the save files into the correct folder right now, but that's a temporary situation (they have a "How To" video if you need it).

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendMaker/

The "Post levels here" thread is pinned.
Pages: 1