[POLL] DO YOU USE PROJECT TEMPLATES?

Poll

Do you create project templates with pre-selected battlers, music, databasing, or anything of that sort? - Results

All the time, who doesn't?
10%
I've made a few, and have had decent success.
10%
I've made a few, but they've never developed into anything.
0%
No way, loser.
80%

Pages: 1
So a while back I was hunting down some open/free resources, gathering them together and organizing them into several folders for future project ideas, and as I'm going through all of the different battlers and resources and whatnot, it suddenly hit me: if I'm willing to organize resources into folders for use in future projects, then why not create templates for future game projects as well?

What I began doing is taking blank projects and importing resources into them. Different music, different sounds, tiles, and so on. Then I'd go through and organize all my tile sets. Then I'd grab some scripts or plug-ins (I'm a fan of MV and Ace both), and throw them into the folder. Then I'd copy that folder and duplicate it.

Then I began organizing stats and general items. "This project will use a basic attack formula of ATK * 4 / 3 - DEF * 2 / 3, and so on." I started making stats for different class archetypes. "I want a fight-ey character, so here's this baseline class with all default attributes, and I'm going to beef up its health and defense." Then that moved on to common events: here's a sound effects slot, here's a "character just walked through a door and I want a unique animation" slot, here's a "receive level 1 healing item" slot, and so on. Then it became battle mechanics: this game will be about playing with buffs/debuffs; this game will feature one-actor combat; this game features a small selection of skills the party members must equip.

Now I've got a few different folders that are blank, yet have resources added to them for future projects.

My question is, do you make templates as well for potential projects? If you do, what do you put in them? If you do not, is there a particular reason you choose not to, or are you like I am, where you simply didn't think about it until later? If you do, have you had any success in finishing projects based off of one of your templates?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
No. I'm lazy.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I often go into game projects without any clear picture of what I want to do, so yeah, I don't often do this.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Usually I'll set on what resources I have and how much to scale my game with. Making sure everything is consistent. Then I'll power through mapping first then events and dialogue and figure out stuff as I go.

Usually if I develop something to much before hand it rarely ever works the way I imagined it. I like going in knowing what I'm going to use from the get go
I have my own framework that I created, which includes things like a resource loader, game loop, options, scene manager, audio mixer, animation system, entity fundamentals, tilemap loading and rendering, GUI widgets, sprite palettization, screen transitioning, particle emitters, screen/entity rumble, node graphing, basic networking, and other stuff.
Each game is different so about the only thing I do is delete all the basic content that's already there (bar some stuff like animations). :shrug:

I do know some do, though, especially if there's a specific script set they like to use in all their projects. That's not me though.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
...How many games are you making that you can use a template more than once before the next RPG Maker comes out?
author=LockeZ
...How many games are you making that you can use a template more than once before the next RPG Maker comes out?

Some people breeze through games pretty fast... or pull a Craze/Liberty and have a billion on the go at once (that fall into the never-never of never-done).
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

LockeZ

don't try to vindicate how long you take
unity
You're magical to me.
I have a template system set up, but it's all blank templates for resources for new games, with templates for animation sheets, character sheets, the different tileset pieces, icons etc.
I have an Ace Playground Project were I test out different ideas before I start working on the actual games. That's about it, I think.

author=Craze
LockeZ

don't try to vindicate how long you take

LOL!
I have templates, always.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.

Wait a minute! What happened to the missing 1 percent???
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I may have used templates back in the early 2000's in regards to gammak in TsuK. There may have been a bit of template useage in regards to the first two games of my Matsumori series, as they used the same engine, and had very similar abilities/equipment/monsters. As a general rule though? No, not really.
I am only working on my first game, but sometimes when I have an idea that doesn't fit into my current game but I really like the direction it's going, then yes I will definitely finish it and put it in a folder for later use. I have several folders going for my next 2 game ideas including tilesets and character sprites.

I do all of my own art and tilesets myself, I hate using the premade RTP stuff! It's so overdone and overused. And I don't want to dig through licenses to use other people's art assets. That's fine for some people, but I really want my games to stand out and be unique so I create everything myself.

The only exception to this is music. I am not a musician whatsoever so I do use other people's music / sound effects and credit them properly for the usage.

author=Liberty
Each game is different so about the only thing I do is delete all the basic content that's already there (bar some stuff like animations). :shrug:

This. I have a "cleaned out" version of RMXP and that's as close to a template as I get.
Never thought about using templates before.... but I also don't make games that are similar to each other. xD
So... no. I don't use them. When a new idea pops up, I love to put everything that comes into my mind in the project, testing, exploring what is possible and what fit's the picture in my head...
Maybe I would use one for a sequel or so...
Pages: 1