PLAYSTATION OR XBOX, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Pages: first 12 next last
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
I played a ton of games here on RMN, much prefer 2D looking games not 3D like all those on the internet.

Began my love or addiction depending on how you look at it, with The Legend of Zelda on the Nintendo 8bit.

Now, for some reason I'm considering a new console but again, prefer the older type games....also, I heard one of them, PS or XBOX allowed you to play the older game on the newer console...is it the PS or the XBOX??

I actually purchased a Used XBOX ONE from GameStop but without any instructions and considering when I hooked it up to my TV, I was totally ignorant about the part where they wanted me to join XBOX on the TV. I was never able to get past the initial instructions so could not get any of the used game I purchased at the same time to actually work. I was to embarressed to tell GameStop a person of my age did not know how to work the damn machine :)

So, here I am asking about the PS and XBOX, which one allows you to play the older games for that console, such as the Final Fantasy games.

Thank you in advance for any help to solve my problem :)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
PS4 doesn't have a lot with it at the moment. If you want to be able to play old Final Fantasy games, go with PS3. You can buy remasters of all of them in the PS store. You can't get them on PS4. Not just FF: Parasite Eve, Xenogears and Xenosaga, Rogue Galaxy, the Star Ocean series. There's a lot of great old games for 5 to 10 dollars labeled as PS Classics.

XBox, I don't know about, but I doubt you can play any of the old Square titles sincy they were exclusive to the PS. Tri-Star games like Star Ocean only seem to be on the PS, too.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I'm sure all three major consoles on the market right now allows you to play older games.
pianotm
Ratty524
I'm sure all three major consoles on the market right now allows you to play older games.

I have both a PS3 and a PS4. Trust me. Neither are backwards compatible, and PS3 has significantly more PS Classics available than PS4 does.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The Xbox's online store mostly has western RPGs, there are very few JRPGs. In fact there are not many Japanese games in general, because Microsoft is an American company and the original Xbox was a total commercial failure in Japan. It has almost no old 2D games.

You can also just put certain Xbox 360 games in the Xbox One and some of them will work fine. Not all of them though. I think they've been gradually adding backwards compatibility for more and more Xbox 360 games in system updates? Right now there are about 200 Xbox 360 games playable on the Xbox One. Here's the list. As far as notable RPGs go:
Dark Souls: YES
Dark Souls II: NO
Demon's Souls: NO
Final Fantasy 13: NO
Final Fantasy 13-2: NO
Final Fantasy 13-3: NO
Borderlands: YES
Bioshock: YES
Bioshock 2: YES
Fable 2: YES
Fable 3: YES
Fallout 3: YES
Fallout New Vegas: NO
Skyrim: NO
Dragon Age: NO
Dragon Age 2: NO

As an Xbox One owner, if you want to play older games, I would absolutely recommend you buy a PS3 or a Wii U.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
just get a nicer pc and buy an external HD for your suikoden and megaman isos
Probably the Wii U? The virtual console market is filled with old games dating back to the NES era. It is also completely backwards compatible with all Wii games.

The Wii U is probably my second favorite console I've ever owned (after the SNES).
PS3 or Wii U if you want a better selection of older games.

PS4 does not have the PSOne library, but does have some PS2 games that are up-rendered to 1080p. Rogue Galaxy and Wild Arms 3 in 1080p are very nice indeed.
Linkis
God give me strength :)

First, thank you all for trying to help me.
I in fact still have my Super Nintendo, Game Cube and an XBOX ONE that I can't figure out because I bought it used and without an instruction manuel.

I just finished a internet search for a new or used PS2/PS3 or WiiU.

It looks like the PS2 has more of the games I enjoy, RPG/ADVENTUE, but then I
read the reviews about overheating and breaking down....

Maybe I should just stick with the games I love the best....RMN games :)
that's always the right answer, in the end
Linkis
And that's why you make the big bucks :)
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
You can also invest in a good enough PC and dedicate yourself to emulate older games.

I really can't recommend any of the newer consoles to anyone who likes old games.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
If you don't want to do it on PC there are cheap old systems out there or even specific system that are somewhat newer systems that replicate the old systems that play old games. Like NES or SNES. They are basically physical emulators if that's what you prefer.

But otherwise there are a ton of emulators that you could work with and PC games that would be hella fun to play!

Edit: also to note that PlayStation is awesome. Grab a PS2 and you get almost all the PS1 games and some real gems. I like Xbox360 but stay away from Xbox One for now. It's not worth it with all the online bill shot especially for offline games which is just retarded.
pianotm
Unfortunately, you guys seem to be forgetting that Linkis is an old man. Emulators for the NES, and Sega Genesis are easy enough to work with. You just download them and use the right file applications for each emulated title. But CD based emulators require a little bit of knowledge and skill. You have to install the drivers manually. You have to figure out how to get them to read applications as discs in the drive. Also, in most cases, you have to download the drivers from the actual machine, meaning, you have to actually own a PS2, and figure out how to transfer its drivers to your computer (thank goodness it has USB ports), and the only emulators that are really worth a shit simply refuse to accept bootleg drivers, meaning you absolutely have to know how to do this.

Seriously, imagine a war vet in his 70s doing this. I spent two days trying to get a PS2 emulator to work and finally broke down and bought another copy of the game I wanted to play. I used to have the original PS2 fatty, but it's reader borked, and I ended up getting a slim. It runs my cds lopsided so it grinds a groove in them. I ended up having to buy the HD FFX/X-2 because every emulator was written by holier-than-thou software engineers who was adamant that no bootleg drivers would taint their code, and kept telling the actual drivers I downloaded from my actual PS2 were bootleg, because let's face it, when you download proprietary software from a console, it's bootleg.

For everyone insisting that Linkis get a PC with emulators, are you going to go to his house and get it all set up for him? I didn't think so.

Buying an old PS2 seems to be a better option, but a lot of titles, particularly PS One titles, are getting a lot harder to find in their original formats, and some are getting quite expensive.

At this point, anyone who is not recommending the PS3 simply isn't facing reality. The likelihood that a man in his 70s has time or inclination to work with cd emulation headaches is frankly non-existent.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Yeah. Like piano I have no room for emulators. For one I like having a physical copy or platform to handle. Emulators are too finicky. I still have most of the old consoles to hook up and play on my big screen with a controller so I can't condone an emulator for the sake of ease and fun.

Edit: also if you truly don't want any bullshit get a PS2. Straight up.
Linkis
Damn, things were going along nicely until pianotm decided to begin calling me names. Elderly veteran or elderly gentleman would have been OK, but old man?, that really cut me to the quick :) Yes, pianotm, I be the geezer of RMN :)

And, what the hell is an emulator?? Sounds like something my DI called me at Parris Island :)

So, I talked with my great nephew this afternoon. Silly sucker went and joined the Marine Corps. Stuck in Pensacola, FL. for the time being till classes begin.
Turns out he used to work for Gamestop and said he could walk me through the proceedure to hook it up to my new 50" Samsung smart TV.
Said all I have to do in order to get past the first screens that want to sell me stuff in pound the B button :)
Think I'll try hooking up that thar Box I got on Thurs. cause I gotta see the Docs at the VA on Weds. :)

Again, thanks to everyone for your input and
@pianotm, I know you were not trying to be mean and upset me.
Actually, if nothing else works, I just might try that PS2 idea cause I
do think I might enjoy several of the games.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
My grandma set my pc to run MAME games since i couldn't figure out how to configure it myself.
Linkis
That's OK Mirak, I found this for you so you can do it yourself and not feel ashamed........http://mamedev.org/
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
That's ok. That was like 10 years ago.
pianotm
Linkis
And, what the hell is an emulator?? Sounds like something my DI called me at Parris Island :)

Eat crow, emulator supporters!

Linkis
Damn, things were going along nicely until pianotm decided to begin calling me names. Elderly veteran or elderly gentleman would have been OK, but old man?

I actually worried about that after I posted it.
Pages: first 12 next last