[POLL] WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN A RMN MEET?

Poll

Would you be interested in an RMN Meet? - Results

Yes - in the US (please state your preferred area)
22%
Yes - in London, UK
20%
Yes - elsewhere in Europe
10%
Yes - elsewhere (please state your preferred area)
18%
No YM, you suck
14%
No YM, RMN sucks
12%

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=NeverSilent
author=Yellow Magic
Yeah, worth adding that I don't mind taking the day-off for Friday, so it could end up being at least two days - and maybe the Sunday as well for whoever's interested/available.
Great! I'm not entirely sure yet what day I'll be returning home, both Saturday evening and Sunday are possible options for me. So I'm fine with just basing that decision on what the others prefer. I'm probably going to arrive early on Friday morning, if all goes well. But if nobody else is ready yet at that point, I don't mind waiting a bit at all.
Okay that's fine. I'm definitely free from 12th-14th myself.

author=Yellow Magic
I mean, do you have any immediate suggestions? I've only been to London once before, and that was a long time ago. Thanks for the offer, either way!
Honestly, not hugely, because I've only ever stayed in hotels here or flatshares...I guess you Jeroen, yourself and Shinan could get an AirBnB together? THere's also the whole hostel approach (my cousin came over once and said the Indian YMCA was okay. Added advantage in that it's a 20 minute bus ride from my place!)
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Cool, thank you. For now, I'll start looking around a bit to see if I can find something. But once I know something more, or if I'm having trouble, I'll definitely get in touch with you.
If whoever else is planning to come wants to organise something together, though, I have no issues with keeping that in mind either.

P.S.: I bought my ticket to London! I'm pretty excited already.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
I wish I could go. All I can say is, don't die, any of you. Don't be injured, don't get sick, just have fun. Also, set up a Skype for at least Saturday so people from RMN can awkwardly watch you all have fun, while wishing we were there.

Darn my young age.
Alright time to get those plane tickets. And dig up the passport. And hope that I didn't misremember when my vacation is :D
I was wondering when I'd see a meetup manifest again finally.. XD

If we ever decided to do one of these closer to home (Boston or New York?), I might be down.
Yellow Magic
PARTY IN LONDON WOOOOOOooooooOOooooooooooooprobablyjustvideogamesallday
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Drink just one beer and don't go to bed too late!
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=Yellow Magic
PARTY IN LONDON WOOOOOOooooooOOooooooooooooprobablyjustvideogamesallday

What's wrong with video games?

Seriously though, I'd actually like to look around in the city a bit, too. I have seen a good amount of the well-known sights and such, but that was about 8 years ago. And going to see the typical tourist stuff is fine, but being able to visit London together with someone who actually lives there and knows the place in a different way seems at least as interesting to me, if not more so.
And I'm sure we can come up with lots of cool stuff to do. I mean, I would like to think we all have at least a few shared interests, right?

author=oddRABBIT
I wish I could go. All I can say is, don't die, any of you. Don't be injured, don't get sick, just have fun.

Thank you! And don't be sad. Considering how many members around the world RMN has, I'm confident this isn't going to be the last time that people decide to set something like this up.

author=Shinan
Alright time to get those plane tickets. And dig up the passport. And hope that I didn't misremember when my vacation is :D

Do you have any idea yet how long you are planning to stay, and where? I'm currently thinking I'll probably leave on the 14th instead of the 13th, as I had originally planned. Since me going on a short trip abroad like this doesn't tend to happen quite that often, I think it would be kind of stupid to already leave again just a day after arriving.
Should we try to find accomodations at the same place or in the same general area in order to make communication and organising things more convenient?

author=Cap_H
Drink just one beer and don't go to bed too late!

The first part - no problem. The second one - I won't promise anything.
Yellow Magic
author=NeverSilent
Seriously though, I'd actually like to look around in the city a bit, too. I have seen a good amount of the well-known sights and such, but that was about 8 years ago. And going to see the typical tourist stuff is fine, but being able to visit London together with someone who actually lives there and knows the place in a different way seems at least as interesting to me, if not more so.
And I'm sure we can come up with lots of cool stuff to do. I mean, I would like to think we all have at least a few shared interests, right?

Yeah, there's quite a bit of stuff to do/check out here. Off the top of my head (and by no means an exhaustive list)

- Tate Modern (abstract art stuff, free)
- Science Museum (free)
- National History Museum (right next to the science museum, also free)
- Trafalgar Square inc. Portrait Gallery (FREEEE)
- Leicester Square inc. Chinatown (although if you don't like crowds, avoid!!)
- Camden Town and the infamous Camden Market (my endz, more or less)
- Shoreditch (hipster land)
- Brick Lane (loads of Bengali restaurants, a cool record store and also hipster land)
- Oxford Street (shopping land)
- Shopping on the King's Road or High Street Kensington (former is more famous, but I prefer the latter)
- My place, so you can see a Londoner's amazing living standards
- Don't know if you guys drink or not, but if you do, Brewdog is worth checking out
- Meltdown Gaming Bar (very close to wear I live, but I've never actually been)
- Waterloo Bridge, for a spectacular view of London

I think there's also some sort of geek convention that Shinan posted somewhere happening that weekend in Hammersmith (west London).
ESBY
extreme disappointment
if you're drinking at brewdog make sure to ask for Hardcore IPA
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Oh man, this sounds amazing. I don't think we're in any danger of getting bored.

author=Yellow Magic

Out of curiosity, how big is your apartment?

author=Yellow Magic
- Don't know if you guys drink or not, but if you do, Brewdog is worth checking out

I drink very little and very rarely, and I feel uncomfortable around drunk people, but I'm not a complete teetotaller either.

author=Yellow Magic
I think there's also some sort of geek convention that Shinan posted somewhere happening that weekend in Hammersmith (west London).

I took a look at that, and while it sounded interesting, it's also something that would probably only make sense as a full-day activity. And since reservations are almost closed, the tickets have become pretty expensive. I'm not sure if this would be the best choice at this point, to be honest.

By the way, since I'm not in Slack: Have you been discussing anything there that I may have missed, or did anybody else express interest there? I'm honestly a little surprised how few people actually seem to be thinking about joining in, considering the vote count of the poll.
Do you have any idea yet how long you are planning to stay, and where? I'm currently thinking I'll probably leave on the 14th instead of the 13th, as I had originally planned. Since me going on a short trip abroad like this doesn't tend to happen quite that often, I think it would be kind of stupid to already leave again just a day after arriving.
Should we try to find accomodations at the same place or in the same general area in order to make communication and organising things more convenient?

I was thinking of trying to get in midday Thursday or Friday and leave midday Sunday. So being fairly close to each other would probably be pretty helpful. I am bad at traveling so any help I can get to navigate a place that has more than 100 people/km^2 is something I appreciate :D

For activities I like wandering around aimlessly. Last time I went to London (for LonCon) I had a couple of hours to kill before having to be at the airport so I jumped on the metro and got off at a random station and just walked around a bit...

This is exciting and scary. Even if it's only three of us so far :)
I feel you

The land area of Saskatchewan is 588,239.21 square kilometres with a population density of 1.8 persons per square kilometre.
Yellow Magic
author=ESBY
if you're drinking at brewdog make sure to ask for Hardcore IPA

Bruh. Let's just keep it at Punk IPA, k?

author=NeverSilent
Oh man, this sounds amazing. I don't think we're in any danger of getting bored.

author=Yellow Magic

Out of curiosity, how big is your apartment?

"Apartment" is putting it very nicely - I live in a bedsit, meaning my bedroom is my kitchen. I also share the toilet with neighbours I never speak to.

I drink very little and very rarely, and I feel uncomfortable around drunk people, but I'm not a complete teetotaller either.

THat's fine with me - I'm pretty much the same, tbh.

I took a look at that, and while it sounded interesting, it's also something that would probably only make sense as a full-day activity. And since reservations are almost closed, the tickets have become pretty expensive. I'm not sure if this would be the best choice at this point, to be honest.

Again, fine with me...

By the way, since I'm not in Slack: Have you been discussing anything there that I may have missed, or did anybody else express interest there? I'm honestly a little surprised how few people actually seem to be thinking about joining in, considering the vote count of the poll.

Nope - afraid it really is just the three of us at this point. Jeroen plz

author=psy_wombats
Who all is going again?

Just me, Shinan and NeverSilent for now...
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
If I lived in the UK, I'd definitely go. But i can't leave for that long around because of work.

If y'all ever want to meet in Texas(ahahaha) I have enough room for a good deal of people to stay as well as being near San Antonio so we would have stuff to do.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
author=InfectionFiles
If y'all ever want to meet in Texas(ahahaha) I have enough room for a good deal of people to stay

But what if one of those people is a psychotic serial killer who is plotting to kill you all right now?!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Then I guess the news would have something to report!

"Inside the mind of a indie developer"
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
THE MURDERER DUCT TAPED INFECTION FILES TO THE CEILING. THE SUSPECTS ARE NEVERSILENT, YELLOW_MAGIC AND SHINAN. BUT WHAT'S THIS??? APPARENTLY DECKILLER WAS ACTUALLY ALIVE! AFTER AN INVESTIGATION CELESTIA YELLOW_MAGIC FINDS SOME BLOOD ON A CURTAIN, AND A WINDOW. BLOODY CURTAIN AND WINDOW ADDED TO TRUTH BULLETS.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I would love to take part! Only problem is, money=0 + live in South America. :D
Hope you guys can have a nice time wherever the meeting will take place.