NEED HELP MAKING A GAME!

Pages: first 12 next last
Ok so first off I want to stress that I AM NOT asking for someone to do the work for me. I want to learn how to make my own mmorpg.

Let me be more clear, I want to learn the necessary skills for making a Massive multi-player online role playing game.

I am planning to have pretty specific game mechanics in my game, some of those may include:
-Fraction choice: There are two fractions which you can choose from, these affect your map which in contrast affects your exhibition site, and in contrast the equipment you can collect.
-Character creation
-Row placement: The characters within a party can be organized in a row from a column of two characters each.
e.g
E C A V
F D B S. Monster
-You are what you wear system: No leveling involved, your stats, skills, class and passives are completely dependent on your equipment.
Base combat: a group within a fraction fights with another group within a different fraction.

Id like to be clear that I am not asking about this stuff in specific, this is just some of the stuff i want in my game.

Thank you o all who reply.

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Do you know how to make a non-mmorpg?
No sorry... Id like to be more clear that I have no experience no experience in programming... so some site teaching me how to create these things...
the tutorials here are a little too difficult.
InfectionFiles
MMORPG games are extremely difficult and require either a lot of people or a few prodigies. It can be done but it's not an easy task by no means and isn't something you can be taught quickly I imagine.

I remember there are free "mmo makers" but I can't recall the names, so try googling something along those lines.

but it's a big undertaking, not trying to squash your dream but maybe start with an rpg maker engine like VX Ace and see how you fare and like it. Even a single game isn't easy!
Also mmos will require server and stuff, don't forget!
I think I have enough time and patience to make an mmo, and I can easily get any of the rpg makers for it... I also have alot of time to study any programming guide, however I feel like they are too advanced for me...
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't pretend to know what all it takes to make an MMORPG. However, as far as programming tutorials for beginners go, Trihan's "Slip Into Ruby" series of articles comes to mind.
InfectionFiles
All I'm saying is maybe try your hand at a small game first trying to use use your ideas and see how it feels!
I don't know, man. Making an online game using rpg maker is like breaking your legs off to join a marathon.

My best bets for this task would be either Unity, or Unreal. Source might also work.
I think you're really underestimating the production of a MMORPG, Valor... If you google on producing a MMORPG of your own, most game developers, even the experienced ones, will highly recommend you not to start with creating a MMORPG until you've at least created a few RPGs of your own (in fact, most commercial game developers start with creating RPGs before venturing into creating MMORPGs). Creating a MMORPG is more of like the advanced stage of game development, and it's usually not wise to jump into the advanced stage of anything without going through and grasping the fundamentals first.

A MMORPG is a lot more than a RPG. Besides knowing the fundamentals of a RPG, you also need to know a lot of other stuff like networking, running a server, keeping players interested. Because a MMORPG needs a player base to survive. And production of a MMORPG is usually a team effort, not a one-man show. You also need a lot more programming language to create a MMORPG than a RPG.
Hmm... well i guess you guys are right... i guess i could start with an game that has these mechanics first... anyone know any guides for absolute beginners?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Valor
Hmm... well i guess you guys are right... i guess i could start with an game that has these mechanics first... anyone know any guides for absolute beginners?

It highly depends on what engine you are using as to how those mechanics would be implemented. For example, the "row placement" idea sounds like it could be an implementation of a side-view battle system. I imagine character creation to be fairly minimal, as every stat/skill/elemental property/whatever is attributable to equipment. With the "fraction choice" idea... this is a bit difficult for me to get my head around. All I'm gathering is that it has some affect on the maps, and item drops. Are we talking about an inverse proportion (ie: the more of one thing, there is less of the other) or a ratio (every X of one thing there is Y of the other), or what?
You are right about the side view system, and the character creation system.

For the fraction its just... well... Its like a large organization, and each organization is set in another part of the continent. X has some equipment thats special, and Y has others so yes i guess it is a ratio of the sorts...
InfectionFiles
Well, having two sides to a game that each have their own area adds a nice replayability for players. that's always fun! Maybe think about it in that way as the player would be able to see both sides of the story!
author=InfectionFiles
Well, having two sides to a game that each have their own area adds a nice replayability for players. that's always fun! Maybe think about it in that way as the player would be able to see both sides of the story!

Thanks.. I mean i think im thankfull... I am not exactly sure what you meant by that.
InfectionFiles
If you have factions, like two sides fighting eachother and have a different land and weapons/items then you can build two sides to the game. So at the start of the game the player can choose which side to play on so that would give the player the option to play through one side and beat it then play through the other factions story if they want to. Each side will be different and give the player something new and could see the full story by completing both sides
This is if you make your story a single player game first, of course. I'm saying it could be interesting even for a single player game to play/see both sides!
Oh cool... i guess your right, but i still dont have much of an idea on how to make a single player game first.
InfectionFiles
A fun first single player game for you might be a small scale story within the world you want to create. nothing big but it takes place in the same time/world as your big ideas. Something just so you can get your idea out there!

Also check these out:
Eclipse Engine

Xtreme Maker

hmm.. ok, but im pretty sure some of the things i want from the the makers your offering dont quite have what im asking for. So im gonna go ahead and ask this:

Any easy game programing languadges that can help me make this small game?
InfectionFiles
Oh, I was thinking an RPG Maker to get your feet wet. like Rpg Maker VX Ace since it has a lot of support and is easy to use
Oh... well ok i suppose... but what would i do after that?
Pages: first 12 next last