[RM2K3] STEAM VERSION OR TSUKURU?

Pages: 1
I'm almost pissed off that the legit Steam version seems inferior to the Tsukuru version because it contained an updated engine while the games made with Tsukuru can be patched with stuff like DynRPG.

Unfortunately i was starting to make a game with the Steam version and there aren't no extras that also work with the legit steam version.
Should i use the Steam version or the Tsukuru version?
Is there a compatible patch program that works with the new version, or there aren't really no one?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Off-hand, I would say use 2K3, since you paid for it anyway. Though, I'm not sure how refunds work on Steam, if that's something that you're considering.

However, if the question is about how to make the program do what you want, maaaaaaybe 2K3 (or TsuK3) isn't the right choice to begin with?
author=JohnLeagsdurg
I'm almost pissed off that the legit Steam version seems inferior to the Tsukuru version because it contained an updated engine while the games made with Tsukuru can be patched with stuff like DynRPG.

It's only inferior in the fact that it doesn't support patching. It has many bug fixes, extra features, and way better display options. It's also seems way more stable.

author=JohnLeagsdurg
Should i use the Steam version or the Tsukuru version?

Depends what features are you trying to add to your game. I would never switch over just because there potential for more features. If there's something you want that official 2k3 can't provide and you absolutely must have it then yes switch otherwise I'd look for a work around.

author=JohnLeagsdurg
Is there a compatible patch program that works with the new version, or there aren't really no one?

I almost certain there isn't anything like this available.

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
As much as I like 2K3, if the inability to patch is your issue, I would sooner upgrade to VX Ace and use RM2K3 style graphics before I used the bootleg version, simply because with VX Ace, you would have the scripting you need, and you would still have the option of releasing your game to the general public. With the legal versions, all of your games can be uploaded to Steam.
The reason i asked this is if there are systems like the Materia from FFVII or the Summon system that can be made within the engine (and the new version of course) and aswell tutorials how to make customized window menus.
I'm also looking for tips and tricks like special effects, minigames, etc.
pianotm
Materia? My knowledge isn't advanced enough for that one to know for sure.

Summoning? Easy enough to do with each engine with eventing using standard skills, some artistic animations, and a bit of creative eventing in the common events.

There's actually a 2K3 tutorial on this site for limit breaks (it's for the Tsukuru version, but it's the same). Menu systems, minigames: A lot of what you're asking for is covered in the tutorials section. For materia, you will probably need some kind of scripting. I don't know what can be done for 2K3 at the moment. I know Cherry is (supposedly) working on making dynRPG compatible with the Steam version, but I haven't heard another word about it since Kentona officially made the statement when 2K3 came out.

You're only making me want to recommend VX Ace more because it has full sets of scripts available specifically to make Final Fantasy fangames exactly like what you're looking for.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
You can do just about anything in 2k3 with enough programming knowledge. People just side with VX Ace because of its more traditional approach to scripting (and that, as pianotm brought up, you can copy paste other people's hard work into your game for *free*).
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Corfaisus
(and that, as pianotm brought up, you can copy paste other people's hard work into your game for *free*).

I could be misinterpreting this part of your post, but... is this such a bad thing, necessarily? Outside of wanting to do something for yourself to see if you can do it, if a script exists that does something that your game wants to do anyway, why not just pick it up and figure out how it works?

Unless the complaint is about developers that don't bother figuring out how scripts work, and just throw it into the game as-is with no further adjustments? Not all scripts are designed that way, sure, but there's some that absolutely are.

Er, sorry for the tangent!
You can patch legal 2k3, but the issue is that nobody is making patches for it yet. :-/

Try VX Ace (or even MV) as others have said, although the clunky map editor is a huge deal-breaker for me, personally.
You can event a materia system in 2k3. I've done it before. It takes a lot of work, though, and you have to understand the program and how it works in order to get the most out of it - as with most things in life, really.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Marrend
author=Corfaisus
(and that, as pianotm brought up, you can copy paste other people's hard work into your game for *free*).
I could be misinterpreting this part of your post, but... is this such a bad thing, necessarily? Outside of wanting to do something for yourself to see if you can do it, if a script exists that does something that your game wants to do anyway, why not just pick it up and figure out how it works?

Unless the complaint is about developers that don't bother figuring out how scripts work, and just throw it into the game as-is with no further adjustments? Not all scripts are designed that way, sure, but there's some that absolutely are.

Er, sorry for the tangent!

What I've got a problem with are the games where a Yanfly script is clearly the most polished part of their game. Back in good old 2k/3, you'd have to at least put in the effort to copy paste something and make it relevant to your game (and avoid the mob that knows where you ripped something from because you clearly aren't good enough to do that yourself) rather than have a system that's 90% complete for you and you just have to throw your own characters models onto it.

It's like using sample maps. Why bother making when you can steal instead?
pianotm
Corfaisus

It's not my fault they *offer* it for free (and most even let you use them for commercial games for no more than the price of writing their names in the credits.). Not everyone knows Ruby or C# and making video games is a lot more than code. I offer my art for free (except my handdrawn stuff, because arthritis makes me feel like not sharing). I offer my music for free. Why is scripters offering their scripts for free a problem? What does using them make us?

You know what? Fuck scripts! JohnLeagsdurg, go ahead and use 2k3. It's my favorite anyway. We'll make a materia system if it kills us. I'll help! We can figure it out together. Then we'll write a tutorial about how to do it, and everyone who wants to use it, can. And we won't shame them for not doing the work themselves.

(@Corf. this is mostly snark, so don't take it personally. I've just been in the mood for sarcasm and off humor lately.)
If you're using scripts you should be editing them fit your project anyway, guys. You know, unless it's something super basic like always-run or bug fixes. Feel no guilt for not messing with those or for using them. It's like using free-to-use edits and resources. Why not use them? :shrug:
Actually, doing a Materia System isn't that impossible. If you make a custom menu and events you can actually work around things: slots, AP, spell learning, commands and summons, all those can be made with Skill Learning commands, switches and variables.

It is a lot of work though

What is however much more of challenge is making the status modifiers of the materias, especially since they are based on percentages. While making the status modification itself is actually rather simple, keeping track of it with changing levels and equipment seems a bit too hard.

I've been curious about it myself, though: I always thought VX Ace an MV were essentially superior in every sense to older makers such as 2003, especially since I always assumed scripting allowed you to pretty much bend the game and how it went, meaning if you were using older makers such as the official releases of 2000 and 2003 was because you just chose something simpler or wanted an old school approach.

I mean, personally am using 2003 because I really don't like the VX Ace graphics (personal thing, nothing else) and I have absolutely no idea how to script and feel I wouldn't be able to fully use the newer makers, not to mention I wouldn't be able to produce a game that could actually hold itself in the many ones made nowadays by entire teams and all that.
pianotm
@Aoleorz: Giving it some thought, if each piece of materia had the percentage based status modifiers, would you really need to track them? I mean, we know what those percentages are and all you would really have to do is give the materia that property and simply make it percentage based. If that causes a problem for the player character, well that was one of the dangers you were warned about in the FFVII tutorial shop: if you weren't careful, you could end up with detrimental stats.

Also, as for graphics, you can find 2000 and 2003 graphics adjusted for VX Ace without too much trouble. If you like, I could actually alter some files for you. It's not hard. Also, most scripts come with variables for people like us so you don't have to know scripting to adjust them properly. It's actually a lot of fun sometimes to go through a script and play with the adjustments.
author=pianotm
@Aoleorz: Giving it some thought, if each piece of materia had the percentage based status modifiers, would you really need to track them? I mean, we know what those percentages are and all you would really have to do is give the materia that property and simply make it percentage based. If that causes a problem for the player character, well that was one of the dangers you were warned about in the FFVII tutorial shop: if you weren't careful, you could end up with detrimental stats.

Also, as for graphics, you can find 2000 and 2003 graphics adjusted for VX Ace without too much trouble. If you like, I could actually alter some files for you. It's not hard. Also, most scripts come with variables for people like us so you don't have to know scripting to adjust them properly. It's actually a lot of fun sometimes to go through a script and play with the adjustments.

Well yeah, right now i'm having a problem with a evented title screen i'm making with the new steam version...

Look out for my other thread: https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/20878/
@pianotm:

I was talking about a possible materia system the issues pecentages modifiers have in RPG Maker 2003. I dunno the options VX and owards have, I wouldn't be surprised if you can alter it with precision, but in 2003 you need to use variables and work around with events. While memorizing the status, getting the percentage and adding or substracting it is not that hard with variables, the issue comes when you character levels up (how does that extra x% adds on), when you change equipment (how does the x% track the changes), when you add or remove the materias and so on.

I mean, I didn't use a materia system in my game, but I did try to have a class system similar to Golden Sun where the class boosts base stats by x%. While getting the base boost was easy enough, the levelling up bonuses and changing to other classes made the status tracking impossible without falling appart due to how hard it was too keep adding that x% to any change, be it equipment or other bonuses, so I tried something else. Though I could make the skill learning and AP system without much trouble, but it was quite a bit of work.

When it comes to scripting, I literally have no clue whatsoever of doing absolutely anything. I have found out that it isn't uncommon for users to simply take sample or public scripts and modify them, but I can't even manage that XD, I wasn't talking about only making your own scripts. Then again, perhaps it isn't that terrible to actually try to learn.

I didn't know you could change Graphics in VX Ace. Thanks for letting me know, I'll keep it in mind. And I do appreciate your offer, but I am not using VX Ace. To be honest, I am a bit torn whether continuing using 2003 or changing to something newer.

@JohnLeagsDurg: I really wish I could help you, but custom menus are the sole thing I still have no idea how to do.

On another thing, are we sure no plugins work for the steam version? I only tried one: RMCheker to change the in game icons in menus and it worked fine. Though it may be an exception.
pianotm
@Aeleorz, I can understand most of that. As for the scripts, they usually come with instructions, labels that say EDIT HERE, and the spots where you edit being clearly marked. Some scripts aren't so clear, but you can generally find the user editing spots because they're using Ruby labels instead of code.

This is a section specifically from Yanfly's Ace Engine Core:

#=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    # - Screen Resolution Size -
    # RPG Maker VX Ace has the option of having larger width and height for
    # your games. Resizing the width and height will have these changes:
    # 
    #              Default   Resized   Min Tiles Default   Min Tiles New
    #    Width       544       640           17                 20
    #    Height      416       480           13                 15
    # 
    # * Note: Maximum width is 640 while maximum height is 480.
    #         Minimum width is 110 while maximum height is 10.
    #         These are limitations set by RPG Maker VX Ace's engine.
    # 
    # By selecting resize, all of the default menus will have their windows
    # adjusted, but scripts provided by non-Yanfly Engine sources may or may
    # not adjust themselves properly.
    RESIZE_WIDTH  = 640
    RESIZE_HEIGHT = 416

That's the section where you adjust your game window's size. It's pretty straight forward and all of Yanfly's scripts are easy to adjust like this.
Pages: 1