WIN SOME // LOSE SOME - WHAT GAME DID YOU THINK WOULD SUCK WAS ACTUALLY AWESOME, AND VICE VERSA?

Pages: first prev 1234 last
Command & Conquer is unplayable now? But then, what was I playing last night?
Because it lacks unit queue. Not to mention judging by the first few missions that the game was just spam to win. (which just made the lack of unit queue even worse) By comparison Tiberian Sun felt more rock scissors papery which I absolutely dug. But anyway, the lack of unit queue is a dealbreaker.
Did you play the game all the way through? Because I can assure you that spam to win isn't always the case. There are some really frustratingly difficult missions in that game! Taking out a damn Mammoth tank with 4 rocket soldiers is hard.

E:
heh, and on the subject of Queues, whenever I play a newer RTS they always have them and I always think "this game is EASYMODE". The frenetic play of C&C was so much fun.

Anywho, I am trying out OpenRA, which is an open source recreation of C&C and Red Alert but with modern conveniences like queues and such. I've only played it 3 times briefly (once was last night). Other than unit queues, they have also split up the building tabs into ones like Red Alert 2 where you have Buildings, Defenses, Infantry, Units, Airforce. Wall building is also like TibSun (where you can build a full length of a wall at once, instead of one tile at a time). Migs/Orcas/etc behave much like in Generals, where they can patrol an airspace. Oil derricks can also be captured. They also tweaked the tech hierarchies (which I don't care for, since I knew C&C and RA by rote and adapting to the new one is unfamiliar to me).
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=GreatRedSpirit
and you spend forever trying to find the right plot trigger so you can stop listening to this shit.
I laughed.

I guess i like chrono cross because it's artsy. It's very colorful and the music has that pretentious all-out feeling that's charming enough to be memorable (the song that stuck the most was the frozen sea's theme), the writing is an absolute clusterfuck and if 7 characters weren't already too many in Chrono Trigger i don't know what the fuck they were on when they thought adding 45 god damn characters would be a great idea.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Tomb Raider (2013)

I'll admit that I got the game because of all the praise the new Lara Croft got. How she's a much stronger character and her origin story very clearly showed how she came to be the badass treasure hunter she was known for in prior games. Well... nope. All I saw was Lara getting her teeth kicked in over and over again, which is NOT character development.

Getting beaten around by forces more powerful than yourself is absolutely a good START for character development, of course. Setting up a parallel situation where a character start off weak and helpless and slowly become stronger and stronger until they have the will and ability to overcome the perils once thought impossible is a great way to show progression. Unfortunately, the will was missing throughout the entire game. I can't recall a single instance where Lara actually took a situation into her own hands because she WANTED to. It was always "I have to climb this tower" or "I have to get help."

She never acquired the personality of a tomb raider throughout the entire campaign, either. She never seems to care about the historical artifacts she may or may not be getting. Yeah. A game called TOMB RAIDER has the raiding tombs part an optional side mission that will net you tiny upgrades for weapons that make such a marginal difference it barely even registers in your mind. Her historical background only serving as an excuse to put her on the island in the first place.

I feel you can replace Lara with just about any other person with any other personality and the adventure itself won't change a whole lot. For a game that was so fixated on Lara's development as a character, that's a very bad sign.
Pages: first prev 1234 last