ADVANCE COMPUTER ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

Pages: first 12 next last
Does any one think computer Artifical Intelligence
Will be able to make games on thier own or even be able to make rpg games like useing rpg maker on thier own one day like say giving it a an story idea like make a final fantasy game useing rpg maker
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I don't see why Artificial Intelligence couldn't make games. Most games these days are already made by Genuine Stupidity.
There have been some neat experiments done with procedural storytelling but nahhh, I think ultimately it'll be humans pulling the strings behind games. Even things like roguelikes where quests, maps, monsters etc are all generated, it's because a designer took the time to lay out parameters, repeatedly test what was fun and what wasn't, and essentially craft the whole game.

author=pianotm
I don't see why Artificial Intelligence couldn't make games. Most games these days are already made by Genuine Stupidity.
also: haa
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
why do they always give girl names to AI
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Hoping the computer it's on will get hit by lightning and the AI will turn into a hot lady.

Joke's on them, though, because all AIs are actually lesbians.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
People who believe in Artifical Intelligence, probably don't know how programs work :P
Imagine it will kinda be like some lazy game dev tells there insanely powerful AI what they want to play. Then it just kinda makes it for them?
author=Sooz
Hoping the computer it's on will get hit by lightning and the AI will turn into a hot lady.

Joke's on them, though, because all AIs are actually lesbians.

AIs have binary gender identities. (Hahageddit?)
author=pianotm

Welp :D

I guess we will have settle for generators inside game making software for now.

I do not see AI doing anything like that anytime soon. Although it might come up with a story/plot/characters/etc.

In the end, AI does what people teach it. It then uses the outputs to learn on its own, analyze them and change them again and again to prove results.
I think most is still dependent on human input though. Initial or not.

Let's say we have an AI actually capable of creating a fully working game.
We feed it data or let it scan today's market to get data about games.
What is the AI going to produce?
Something it finds favorable depending on the function that optimizes it and I guess people would love to put what they like there :D
Let's say the AI is not influenced. It would probably produce a game very similar to what is selling the most these days with stuff most people are looking for.

Hm. Dunno :D
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
iddalai
People who believe in Artifical Intelligence, probably don't know how programs work :P

Might be true, but then that would mean that the programmers from Microsoft don't know how programs work (insert joke here.), because they certainly believe that AI is possible.
iddalai
author=pianotm
iddalai
Might be true, but then that would mean that the programmers from Microsoft don't know how programs work (insert joke here.), because they certainly believe that AI is possible.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Microsoft programmers and Microsoft itself would love to SELL you the idea of AI.

"Sell" being the key word here ;)

EDIT: what we call AI learning is not even learning at all, it's just a program following the programmed rules, an AI is incapable of doing anything it wasn't specifically programmed to do. It does not learn, it does not think, for all the advancements we had, AIs are pretty much the same as when they were first created, they follow a set of rules programmed into them. The only difference is today we build bigger programs and have more processing power to run them.
AIs learn via artificial neural networks or genetic algorithms. Like ones used in Expert Systems.
Or small robots who learn to detect obstacles and learn to move around a room and clean it. Placing another obstacle makes the robot learn again.

But yeah, they need a set of rules and some functions that optimize the inputs/outputs again and again.

EDIT:
I think it depends on how we define the term "learn". In that case it is much more complicated although I think we should be talking "self awareness" in that case. A whole other topic :D

Unless we are talking AI in games where it really is mostly a set of rules so the term is more like "it is controlled by the computer".

I do not think we can see an AI making a game anytime soon though :D :D
Sooz
author=MadJak91
I do not think we can see an AI making a game anytime soon though :D :D

Dude, there's already at least one AI designed to make games. It's simple platformers, but it's also designed to create them as a "reaction" to a choice of input. I linked the project's page above, but here's an example, with annotations explaining the "logic" behind some design choices:

Generating a playable game shouldn't be too difficult for modern AIs, since a lot of gameplay comes from really basic, predictable rules. There's currently an AI that can learn to play (an extremely limited type of) games:

(This is supposed to start around 8:14; the beginning is a lot of preparatory remarks and technical talk.)
https://youtu.be/xOCurBYI_gY?t=8m14s
EDIT: Dammit I forgot RMN doesn't play well with the youtu.be links

We're not likely to see a computer-generated Final Fantasy anytime soon, but it's not like it's impossible for AI as we've developed it to make a playable game.

ETA: A more recent example of an Angelina game and some explanation of the design process as well as their future goals for the program:
iddalai
I just watched the "The Conservation of Emily - ANGELINA Playthrough".

A program that was programmed to make game levels (very much in the same way random dungeons are generated in games), knowing the space each jumping tile needs to be and all that, then it scans something (in this case it was an article) and was programmed to use key words to make the level, the level may even be created taking into consideration how many words the article has or something like that (just like games such as Vib-Ribbon generated levels from musics) and then it uses the key words to add stuff to the levels, i.e.: is there was the word "ball" in the article it would then search for a photo of a ball or a sound effect related to it (football) and use it in the game.

They may call it an AI, but it's just a program doing what it was programmed to do.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's not intelligence, just a program.
author=iddalai
EDIT: what we call AI learning is not even learning at all, it's just a program following the programmed rules, an AI is incapable of doing anything it wasn't specifically programmed to do. It does not learn, it does not think, for all the advancements we had, AIs are pretty much the same as when they were first created, they follow a set of rules programmed into them. The only difference is today we build bigger programs and have more processing power to run them.

No one is doing the method you describe to make AI. A lot of projects involve trying to replicate the neural networks that a biological brain has. I do not think you understand the advancements of AI and how they work.
iddalai
author=Darken
No one is doing the method you describe to make AI. A lot of projects involve trying to replicate the neural networks that a biological brain has.

What do you think neural networks are and how they work? They still work with programs within a set number of rules decided by the programmer.
It's still the same thing once you strip it down to its core, only more complex than simple rule-based programming.

author=Darken
I do not think you understand the advancements of AI and how they work.

I could say the same thing about you.
I think this became unnecessarily heated with mild personal attacks.
I believe in teaching meaning if I think someone does not understand something I take the initiative to politely explain the problem AND try to understand the point of view.
Saying "you have no idea so nah" is a cop-out :/

Anyway.

author=Sooz
We're not likely to see a computer-generated Final Fantasy anytime soon, but it's not like it's impossible for AI as we've developed it to make a playable game.

Thanks for your links and stuff. Point taken. I had no idea about it.
I think the topic was about a full fledged game like Final Fantasy or today's modern games but that is the way I took it.
I know about various generated games and stuff but I guess simpler games are possible then!

author=iddalai
What do you think neural networks are and how they work? They still work with programs within a set number of rules decided by the programmer.
It's still the same thing once you strip it down to its core, only more complex than simple rule-based programming.

They are able to learn based on outputs of the initial batch of inputs on their own. That is what we call learning here.
The human brain, in the end, works similarly. You only learn what you are exposed to and can. You also work with initial basic rules.
BUT
For the machine it is still data. And data is set. You do not just "think" about it like our brain does. So programmers still need to research it and functions that work inside the network. I agree. And one reason why I am not afraid of Skynets anytime soon :D

I guess that is why there is the push to research fuzzy logic. So that computers can understand vague terms and extrapolate from them. Still just numbers at the very bottom though... Yep.

Obviously accepting corrections. I am in no position to talk about this too broadly and my practical experience with AI and robots is limited :D
Sooz
author=iddalai
They may call it an AI, but it's just a program doing what it was programmed to do.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's not intelligence, just a program.

...what would your standards for "Artificial Intelligence" be, if it cannot, by definition, be a program doing what it was programmed to do?
iddalai
Here's the best way I can explain my point of view.

There's a difference between saying "a program is doing what it was programmed to do" and saying "an AI is a thinking program capable of creating original stuff".

The latter being what most people nowdays think AI is, or will be capable of, such as OP.
Pages: first 12 next last