FINAL FANTASY XII ZODIAC AGE TRAILER ~

Pages: first 12 next last
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Final Fantasy 12 is my favorite FF of all time, I am SOOOO excited for this! This game had the most ornate graphics and world, I am in love with it all over again just watching the trailer. 2017 is such a long time to wait though

YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I really hope this means that people will give FF12 a second chance. It got a lot of hate for jumping on the MMO Combat Bandwagon when it came out and was sorely under-appreciated as a result.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
I think FF12's combat system was a tasteful move forward. It integrated the exploration and combat system nicely in a way that FF had never done before. Personally, having to transition into a different combat scene when you wanted to battle something would have been ridiculous for a game that pretty & emphasized on exploration.

People rabidly attack it yet FF13 and beyond have some of the most ridiculous concepts behind them... especially the recent FFs that are literally online games. FF12 does have its fans and I'm sure with the addition of the Zodiac Job system that comes from the PS2 International version the game will be much more sensible. (Plus there's a fast-forward option which makes the game a lot more tolerable for impatient people)

The International version of the game is noticeably better as far as gameplay is concerned:
1) espers are controllable (actions) and moveable, so they aren't entirely useless
2) The Job System forces you to specialize your characters instead of making them clones like in the original version (the jobs are permanent once chosen however, which is questionable but it really doesn't ruin the game)
3) there are miscellaneous fixes and tweaks that make the game better in general

Hopefully they make a PC version. Console exclusivity is bullshit for PS4/XBone games IMO.

If they make a PC version I'll finally get a chance to play FF12, which would be nice. I have the PS2 copy but I don't really ever have time (nor desire) to play a game that long on my PS2.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
The PC version is coming, no question. It will come after the PS4 release, but not by much.
yeah, like FFX, Type-0, FF3~9 (including the DS FF3/4 in 3D + TAY made exclusively for PC / mobile) they would not let it out.

B ut it was wise to wait a bit. FF12 will require a bit more from a computer than 10.

otherwise AAAA I'M SO EXCITED I THIN K FF12 IS LIKE THE MOST GORGEOUS STUNNING AMAZIN GAME OF ITS GENERATION
The best improvement in IZJS is being able to fast forward the shit out of battles.

Assuming this does come to PC I think this marks every main numbered FF game (and quite a few beyond that) are available on PC... except FF1 and 2! C'mon SE, when are you finally gonna make the originals properly available?
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Come to think of it, yes it is a bit odd you can't play 1 and 2 now...

I expect they would have just grabbed the PSP ports and been done with it?
author=Hexatona

They're waiting for a version with ruined graphics to come out, so it'll match 5/6
i honestly want an akihiko yoshida art-directed FF1 remake with somewhat radical gameplay changes :V
edit: a 3D one at that

edit2: imagine all the locations expanded and made intrincate and rich of lore
Coneria castle

and suDDENLY FF1 IS IVALICE ALL ALONG
I already played the Zodiac HD remaster ....emulated on PC.

author=GreatRedSpirit
The best improvement in IZJS is being able to fast forward the shit out of battles.

Assuming this does come to PC I think this marks every main numbered FF game (and quite a few beyond that) are available on PC... except FF1 and 2! C'mon SE, when are you finally gonna make the originals properly available?

The fast forward button kind of makes me wonder about the battle system in the first place, if it's so MMOy and unexciting isn't this feature a copout? I mean I've played the game fast forward and it just feels so wrong and weird, like the developers are admitting the combat is boring as fuck and plays itself. Idk it fits better with a game like Half Minute Hero.
author=Pizza
author=Hexatona

They're waiting for a version with ruined graphics to come out, so it'll match 5/6

I dunno what's going on over at Square-Enix, but someone from the FF mobile remake team need to go down the hall and visit the Dragon Quest mobile remake team's office and take some notes about how not to screw it up.
author=Darken
The fast forward button kind of makes me wonder about the battle system in the first place, if it's so MMOy and unexciting isn't this feature a copout? I mean I've played the game fast forward and it just feels so wrong and weird, like the developers are admitting the combat is boring as fuck and plays itself. Idk it fits better with a game like Half Minute Hero.

Why'd you think I enjoyed it so much?

FF12 never hooked me at all. I never cared for the plot, the game technically looked good but there was nothing memorable about it, and same for the music. The combat was similarly boring. I feel like the gambit system was a response to how a lot of RPG combat is super basic: If HP < 30% heal up, if you don't have a buff up cast MAGIC UP, if the enemy is weak to fire hit it with FIRE 2. Instead of trying to improve the combat they instead tried to streamline it with gambits. It becomes what you said: It largely plays itself until there's something you didn't make a gambit to handle or handle incorrectly and you can change it on the fly before letting the game resume. You watch a battle, see how it is turning out, and adjust your general battle plans for the AI to execute.

I'm glad they tried something different, its one of my favorite thing about the FF series, it was just a total swing and a miss. It's a style of game I never cared for. I'd rather take the older style that it tried to streamline over it just for the game to feel more involved in the game, even if my dog can chew on the controller and win.

For reference, I played IZJS last probably about 3-4 years ago when I found a translation patch. I think I only got two hours (not counting my hemming and hawing over what class everybody should be) in before I was just bored and never got back into playing it. I did beat the original a million years ago.

e: fuck now I remember getting lost in the great crystal ff12 fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooooooooooooou

e2: ninja edited in a bad opinion
Does this version fix the problem that only one spell can be used at a time? This was by far the worst part of Final Fantasy XII. If it does, I'll probably get it and otherwise I can't imagine getting it.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Damn, that's great. The graphical update will be cool. I really liked FF12, but I got distracted by other things at the time and never finished it. Even have the preorder metal case and everything. Definitely going to play this proper through. Music of Ivalice is my series favourite, and I don't really hate Vaan as much as I originally did. Back on ps2_ he was my in-town errand boy, while the cool characters were out adventuring.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=JosephSeraph
i honestly want an akihiko yoshida art-directed FF1 remake with somewhat radical gameplay changes :V
edit: a 3D one at that

edit2: imagine all the locations expanded and made intrincate and rich of lore
Coneria castle

and suDDENLY FF1 IS IVALICE ALL ALONG

I would so, so, so be down playing a FF1 with indepth, expanded lore/locations to the FF12 degree. I would cream myself.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I don't know, man. I think if you take a step back and look at Final Fantasy 1 objectively, it's a pretty lame setting.

The only thing that could possibly save it would be increased characterization. Half the fun of Tales Of games is hearing the party talk amongst themselves, and that's probably what got a lot of people through Bravely Default.

I'm just saying, there's not a lot of meat on FF1's bones. It's like trying to turn The Legend of Zelda into twilight Princess or Wind Waker.

Final Fantasy II has a slightly better chance as it tries to make the world seem a bit more alive.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Wait is this a sequel or just another stupid port of a game we already have

I have fucking had it up to here with Square Enix releasing ports of old games. We already have those games. We don't need them again with 17% better graphics, especially when they actually look worse most of the time because different things are upscaled to different degrees.

If this is a sequel starring Balthier and Larsa I'm excited. Otherwise gtfo.
LockeZ
Wait is this a sequel or just another stupid port of a game we already have

I have fucking had it up to here with Square Enix releasing ports of old games. We already have those games.

Making games (especially well respected & loved ones) more widely available to people is pretty much never a bad thing.

Hexatona
Final Fantasy II has a slightly better chance as it tries to make the world seem a bit more alive.

Yeah, FF2 is the one that honestly really needs an overhaul. It set out to do a lot of things and was critically held back by the hardware. It was super ahead of its time, but SE hasn't ever given it due diligence with modern sensibilities, instead just cleaning up and mimicking the shitty half-realized NES mechanics.

Brickroad made a really good blog post about this: Link

As for FF1, I don't think it needs a radical overhaul like that. If you want to see a game that uses the same setpieces and builds on them differently, try almost every other FF game and a large majority of JRPGs. It's not like nobody has touched the elements since then.

It seems perfectly fine to me to keep FF1 as a simple-ass ur example of where the series came from, since it really works fine the way it is now. Tinkering with it would only sour it, IMO (aside from standard bugfixing and shit that the new releases do).
Pages: first 12 next last