SO... WHERE'S THAT RMNV5?

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
What's the scoop and the future here?

There are definitely some issues I've noticed on the site. Majority probably caused by me years ago. And a lot of my (baaaaad) UI decisions remaining.

There a GitHub repo for it or anything? I'll be honest in that I see Gamejolt pretty much kicking this place's ass when it comes to technical prowess. Which makes me a bit sad, so I was wondering what the latest word was.
Yeah, but CROS quit his job to do GameJolt full time. I can't compete with that.

I haven't made any free time to work on the site since about 2014. ankylo has been fixing up and enhancing things here and there, and dealing with server moves and server crashes.

We do have a Git repo. I don't have the connection info handy here at work, but you can ping ankylo for it if you have his contact info.

Welcome back?
A while ago I inquired about the possibility of bringing a new site admin/tech/builder guy on board (is that a feasible 'thing' to do? I don't know, hence why I asked), did anything come of that?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=kentona
Yeah, but CROS quit his job to do GameJolt full time. I can't compete with that.

I haven't made any free time to work on the site since about 2014. ankylo has been fixing up and enhancing things here and there, and dealing with server moves and server crashes.

We do have a Git repo. I don't have the connection info handy here at work, but you can ping ankylo for it if you have his contact info.

Welcome back?

Right, GJ is able to generate enough revenue to fund itself. RMN obviously isn't in that position.

Didn't say I was back!
author=kentona
Do you know a guy?

Do I know a guy in particular? No, I do not; but I also don't know enough of the present situation to start looking (nor am I a programmer therefore I don't 'run with that crew', so to speak); where are we at? Where do we need to be? What are the finances required to get there and what finances does the site bring in now?

I mean, if RMN v.5 is something that could eventually happen if x thing happened, we should example what y thing we need to be doing. Could the site/community help? That kind of thing.

What did anklyo say?
author=WIP
author=kentona

Welcome back?
Right, GJ is able to generate enough revenue to fund itself. RMN obviously isn't in that position.

Didn't say I was back!

By your phrasing it sounded like you wanted to work on RMN's codebase again.

author=Feldschlacht IV
author=kentona
Do you know a guy?
Do I know a guy in particular? No, I do not; but I also don't know enough of the present situation to start looking (nor am I a programmer therefore I don't 'run with that crew', so to speak); where are we at? Where do we need to be? What are the finances required to get there and what finances does the site bring in now?

I mean, if RMN v.5 is something that could eventually happen if x thing happened, we should example what y thing we need to be doing. Could the site/community help? That kind of thing.

What did anklyo say?

ankylo and I are kind of in the same boat, in that we are both full of potential ideas but lack the wherewithal to implement them while at the same like reluctant to, say, "give the keys to the kingdom" to just anybody else.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
My offer still stands, not that it means much though.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
I've wondered where RMN5 is lately too. Not based on any real need, but rather the realization that RMN 4.X deployed over 5 years ago.

author=kentona
ankylo and I are kind of in the same boat, in that we are both full of potential ideas but lack the wherewithal to implement them while at the same like reluctant to, say, "give the keys to the kingdom" to just anybody else.

I remember once upon a time when some plucky developer randomly offered to be an admin. That worked out okay.
WIP
author=kentona
By your phrasing it sounded like you wanted to work on RMN's codebase again.

I've thought about it. But I also don't know if the thoughts I have are better suited to something I make myself, or try to drag RMN through it. I did the "drag RMN through it" thing in the past. Worked sometimes.

author=rcholbert
I remember once upon a time when some plucky developer randomly offered to be an admin. That worked out okay.

It did.
Starscream
I really wanted to photoshop a picture of WIP to add a hat saying "MAKE RMN GREAT AGAIN", but like with all things RMN my reach exceeds my grasp.
as a paranoid dictator, I am innately distrustful of any individual whom I perceive to have the wherewithal and opportunity to usurp my power, which does not bode well for the hopes that one user may rise up to lead us to the promised land.

Plus, all of the people I did elevate were ensnared by Degica's tendrils - and are now little more souless puppets masquerading as friends of RMN, waiting patiently for an opportunity to strike and take me down and assume control of RMN.

But I'm onto them!!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Hey Degica never ensnared me!

Wait...why didn't they ensnare me? Am I not good enough for them? This is an outrage!
author=rcholbert

Yeah, what the fuck were you guys thinking anyway?

"Hey, some schmoe just messaged me out of the blue asking to be an admin, should we do it?"

"I don't see why not!"
WIP
author=rcholbert
I really wanted to photoshop a picture of WIP to add a hat saying "MAKE RMN GREAT AGAIN", but like with all things RMN my reach exceeds my grasp.

Maybe I'll make it myself. I'm vain that way.
Full disclosure, if it wasn't painfully obvious already; I know dick about programming, so please excuse any stupid questions.

With that being said, is 'help with a website' always synonymous with handing over the keys? If trust is an issue currently, couldn't someone volunteer with just a specific 'snippet' of code to work with instead of having full run of everything under the hood? Like, I could give someone a manual to my car to figure out what's wrong with it as opposed to handing them to keys.

I mean, I do think even that is just a temporary solution though; we need to start thinking how to figure out that issue long term or else we'll be sitting on RMN v.4 for the rest of time.
Starscream
author=WIP
I've thought about it. But I also don't know if the thoughts I have are better suited to something I make myself, or try to drag RMN through it. I did the "drag RMN through it" thing in the past. Worked sometimes.

RMN reunion confirmed. GET HYPED.
I found the PM exchange:

08/21/2007 03:35 AM
kentona to WIP:
We need some more admins online more often.

I hate to see this site stagnate since I think it has potential, but it does seem to be neglected lately.

If you are looking for another Admin/Mod/Someone who can approve submissions, I am willing to put my name in the hat. I am online frequently enough to keep the site rolling until the other admins become more active.

Come back to RMN WIP,
kentona

08/21/2007 03:40 PM
rcholber to kentona and WIP:
kentona,

If you are serious about becoming staff, we would like to offer you the status of a RMN administrator. We need to get some activity going and we think you're the man for the job!

Let me know either way,

Holbatron

SUMMARY OF BENEFITS

Hourly wage - $0 (time and a half for overtime)
Bonus - 1000 times your yearly RMN salary.
Profit Sharing - This requires we make a profit. roflcopter
Vacation - Working here is so fun  you won't need one!
Medical - Like Canadians need a crappy HMO.
Dental - You will be the prize of England.
Life Insurance - We'll send a farewell e-mail. =(

kentona to rcholbert:
Do I get EXP?

I accept the position and will gladly take on the mantle of Admin here at this great site. (There are no hazing rituals, are there?)

Thanks,
kentona

It took all of 12 hours to assess and promote me.

author=Feldschlacht IV
Full disclosure, if it wasn't painfully obvious already; I know dick about programming, so please excuse any stupid questions.

With that being said, is 'help with a website' always synonymous with handing over the keys? If trust is an issue currently, couldn't someone volunteer with just a specific 'snippet' of code to work with instead of having full run of everything under the hood? Like, I could give someone a manual to my car to figure out what's wrong with it as opposed to handing them to keys.

I mean, I do think even that is just a temporary solution though; we need to start thinking how to figure out that issue long term or else we'll be sitting on RMN v.4 for the rest of time.

The way it is set up now, to be able to promote the code, build it, and deploy it that person would need access to RMN's webmin console. ...which could probably be restricted to RMN's dev server, leaving ankylo or myself (or WIP) to do the promotions to RMN's production environment. hmm....
WIP
author=rcholbert
RMN reunion confirmed. GET HYPED.

Easy there, friend!

It just seems a lot of the ideas I had way back in the day for RMN are far more feasible these days. And also way more frictionless. It was a big pain in the ass getting everyone synced up to the same SVN repo, or deploying the site. These days, things like Github take care of that. Cloud hosting is wham-bam amazing slam, too.

The biggest thing being that I am very impressed with the Gamejolt client. I still remember years ago telling Ankylo I wanted a client-side app. But there was pretty much no way for me to create that. There's plenty of viable tools these days.

But also: do my ideas even fit with what RMN is? I like people using RPG Maker, but I have no interest in it myself. How do you get people to play games more than making them?

Also I'm still butthurt that a stupid company bought rmn.com which would have been awesome to own.
author=WIP
How do you get people to play games more than making them?

This is an interesting Catch-22 because part (and only part of) of the answer to this is 'getting people to make better games', hence my big interest in the site promoting and building things like scripting, game development stuff on Youtube, and attracting talent. RPG Maker Web totally has us beat on the scripting and community activity thing.

Then, part of our job as a site is to promote those awesome games as well. Really awesome games. I don't want RMN to feel as it's just another site full of people hawking their RTP-generic-game #352 that we accepted because we're nice.