SO... WHERE'S THAT RMNV5?

Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=eplipswich
Actually, who's the one who came up with the name rpgmaker.net?

That person should know better that coming up with the name rpgmaker.net would obviously mean the site would be catered mainly to RPG Maker.

Rast came up with the name around 2000/2001. He has been out of the picture for a very long time and never had anything to do with this incarnation of the site. Long after it went offline, some people from a loosely affiliated IRC channel (#rm2k) had the intention of bringing it back and broadening its horizons. You can probably guess who some of those people were
I wonder if the RMN domain name is registered. We could just go as RMN... it's what we're known as anyway. XD

(and that way we can still make fun with the letters, because obviously they mean Real Mean Nitpickers. No, wait, Running Man Nightmares.)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Liberty
I wonder if the RMN domain name is registered. We could just go as RMN... it's what we're known as anyway. XD

(and that way we can still make fun with the letters, because obviously they mean Real Mean Nitpickers. No, wait, Running Man Nightmares.)

Really Motivated Nitpickers
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Ruthlessly Merciless Naggers.
I consider RMN to be the rarest hidden gem I will ever lay my eyes upon.
I think it's possible for it to be more mainstream, though. If this was a goal.

From my past forum experiences communities tend to grow the most when you have a couple people really trying there best to 'give back' to the community as a whole.
One idea I had was to make some very comprehensive tile sets for the site to use this summer... or just resources in general idk, stuff to make stuff with.

A second idea I had was to release a number of indepth, clear, youtube tutorials.

Basically if your an inspiring fellow that inspires others then you tend to grow traffic. Social media and youtube would be important to spread the inspiring waves of inspiring inspiration
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Liberty

I've got a better idea. Change our name to saltmaker.net.
The name, as it was explained to me (by...kentona?) is that it's a site for RPG Makers. That is, the people who make RPG. The makers of RPGs. The RPG Makers.

Makes enough sense to me. No one says "What do you mean, close the WINDOW? I'M ON A MAC!".

Although I do suspect a lot of people show up here expecting all RPG Maker, all the time.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Oh crap. When the Snafu Forums were my main hangout place, and people started making threads about improving the site, a few months later this happened.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Liberty

Rusting Metal Nipples
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I don't know the technical details and possible issues a web address relocation would create (for example with already existing links), or what benefits and risks it could entail. But I think at least a first step towards encouraging more awareness of and diversity in different development tools could be to have something like an engine spotlight. In addition to the Featured Game, we could have a monthly rotation of a Featured Engine on the frontpage, leading to a place where a specific engine can be presented and discussed. Articles, resources and tutorials could be listed there, and impressive games made with this engine be showcased as well.

Also, on a more superficial level, would it be possible to slightly adjust the way taglines work? Specifically, could the usual taglines be set to appear on all subpages except for the frontpage, where it would just always show a static message saying something like "We support RPG Maker, Unity, Renpy, Unreal Engine 4, Sphere, and many more"?

Lastly, for everyone who is interested in sharing ideas on how to make supported engines more visible, I'd like to refer you to this thread as well.
I think while RMN as a name is ok, I think it faces another problem that we have discussed on and off.

A.) There is no proper mobile responsive layout.

B.) There is little community interaction outside of events. What do I mean by this? For one, our resources and dev section is a mess. It is something we want to fix for a long time now but there is a strange need to cram everything in the front page. There's also an issue that I feel in RMN, for some reason, doesn't like free distributed resources compared to every other RM* site. Which can be a good or bad thing.

C.) It is also hard to modify certain submissions to update unless I go directly to the submissions tab and search for it just to be able to edit it. And if you submit too much, it can take pages. This personally makes me not want to submit resources, utilities or that kind of stuff in RMN. Correct me if I'm wrong at this.

D.) RMN still doesn't support videos on game screenshot section. To find anything live you need to go to media/blogs. In other places like GJ and Itch, this isn't the case. So it holds little viewer retention on checking the gamepage if the screenshots/css layout isn't cool enough.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Liberty

author=WIP
Also I'm still butthurt that a stupid company bought rmn.com which would have been awesome to own.

So I guess it'd have to be dot net or something else?

author=Archeia_Nessiah
I think while RMN as a name is ok, I think it faces another problem that we have discussed on and off.

A.) There is no proper mobile responsive layout.

B.) There is little community interaction outside of events. What do I mean by this? For one, our resources and dev section is a mess. It is something we want to fix for a long time now but there is a strange need to cram everything in the front page. There's also an issue that I feel in RMN, for some reason, doesn't like free distributed resources compared to every other RM* site. Which can be a good or bad thing.

C.) It is also hard to modify certain submissions to update unless I go directly to the submissions tab and search for it just to be able to edit it. And if you submit too much, it can take pages. This personally makes me not want to submit resources, utilities or that kind of stuff in RMN. Correct me if I'm wrong at this.

D.) RMN still doesn't support videos on game screenshot section. To find anything live you need to go to media/blogs. In other places like GJ and Itch, this isn't the case. So it holds little viewer retention on checking the gamepage if the screenshots/css layout isn't cool enough.

These are some great points. Just from the viewpoint of finding resources, our system seems very clunky. Going through page after page trying to find what you're looking for can be a chore.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
in 2016 our profiles' lack of ability to like and share games on Facebook, Twitter etc. is a major hole in our basic functionality, because if it exists I sure don't know where it is.
author=Solitayre
in 2016 our profiles' lack of ability to like and share games on Facebook, Twitter etc. is a major hole in our basic functionality, because if it exists I sure don't know where it is.

Its been there since at least 2012.
Solitayre
How odd, I just investigated and it looks like these buttons appear on some profiles but not others.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=XoeisCooI
From my past forum experiences communities tend to grow the most when you have a couple people really trying there best to 'give back' to the community as a whole.

i think that's true. for example, the reason the md site didn't go anywhere after a while was because i was too selfish with my time and didn't invest in cultivating it, instead allocating 100% to my own projects. someone has to be the motivated leader-san, the true believer

inspiration is cyclical but the engine has to start somewhere
Solitayre
author=GreatRedSpirit
Which ones?

After further testing it looks like they show up on my work machine (a Mac) but they just don't show up on my home PC!

Huh, weird. Maybe the addthis control is being blocked by some security setting or addon? Try a different browser when you get home like IE, or messing with blocking addons like noscript if you use it.

At first I was wondering if somebody just blocked it using CSS, I know I contemplated it trying to get it to work with my dumb hacks before