5%
Arabic
5%
Mandarin
0%
Other(Specify)
5%

Pages: first 12 next last
I've had many ideas in the past of languages I wished to study. French, Spanish, German, Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic. I never got to far with any of them.

I feel I got the furthest with Japanese though. I went absolutely insane with learning it at some point. It was summer and I was unemployed, I spent every moment of my day either listening to Japanese, reading Japanese or studying Japanese. According to Anki I memorized over 1000 kanji in a month on top of everything else. Think I burnt out though? Idk I stopped completly.

I feel I got the furthest with Japanese, because
I have a thing for Japanese media. I view language as a door into another world. If you know a language, suddenly the world opens up more.

I've always liked the idea of being able to read and speak Japanese. It also is cool because it gives me a 'reason' to consume the media much more in depth like.

Not to mention you could even have online 'japahomies'
How cool is that?

I thought Mandarin would make most sense for making money... and money is nice. I thought French too because the 'New York' of canada, is French.

But good old 'moonspeak' as Lorne calls it, a derogatory term for any 'confusing' eastern language. Idk moonspeak sounds more romantic to me then derogatory...

Anyways what's your thoughts?
*edit I guess this is a poll poll. Idk what that means.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I've always wanted to learn Japanese. I've also always wanted to learn Cantonese.
Mandarin, or more specifically Chinese (Mandarin includes dialects, and there are quite a lot of them such as Hokkien, Cantonese and Hainanese) would be a fun language for you to learn because Chinese is basically virtually all Japanese Kanji, but with completely different pronunciations.

For me, while English and Chinese are my native languages, I've recently learned Japanese as well. Definitely a fun language to learn ^_^

If I were to learn another new language? Hmm... probably Korean?
I already know English and a good amount of Spanish. I'd probably want to move beyond the Latin languages to something like Japanese. I've always loved their culture!
Cliche of me to say, but Japanese... so I can watch anime and play vidya games and read mangas.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I'm learning japanese soooooooo, probably that!
:D

English->Japanese->Cantonese
Wow it's like risk or something.

World Domination.

I heard it's not actually as hard as one might think to keep Hanzi and Kanji separate from each other.
The trick is to learn the characters within a context (sentence)
And the real trick is to learn the language with the language it's self, when you get to that point...

And also it's not as hard as people think it is.
Reading a symbol is not any different then reading a word.
When I read a word, it's ,more or less a symbol kind of...
I don't pay attention to the letters that much at least.
And it's just a bunch of shapes, really...

Knowing 30k symbols is not much different then knowing 30k spellings...
Or at least it's not as different as a lot of people make it out to be.
No idea actually.
Tried German but meh.

I do not think I have the correct attitude for learning languages, haha.
Some people can pick them up really quick though :O

I would need to use it a lot in some way to have the language constantly refreshed :D

I am Slovakian so I had to learn English. As much as that means something these days...
Spanish, since places that speak Spanish are the most likely places I'd go on vacation (ie- the Caribbean). And if I ever visit Europe, a combination of my english, french and spanish would probably be enough for me to muddle through conversations! Or at least get me a beer!
author=ken
I ever visit Europe, a combination of my english, french and spanish would probably be enough for me to muddle through conversations!

The key word is Europe. Not EASTERN Europe ;)

author=tona
Or at least get me a beer!

This I can confirm though!
Although... Vodka priateľu, vodka!
author=TMU
For a sec I thought that was Russian, it almost makes sense in Russian.

Slovak :D
So you are not terribly far off ;)
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=TungerManU
I suppose for the sake of getting closer to some of the cool peeps in this community I wouldn't mind also learning German, Tagalog, Turkish and possibly Finnish, although the last three would be a nightmare to learn.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of German, either! I'm extremely glad it's one of my native languages, because it means I never have to properly learn its grammar rules. German grammar is a pain in the absolute butt.

I would like to learn Russian myself at some point, but I doubt it's going to happen any time soon. I'm already having trouble keeping up with the other languages I know or am learning.

How dare you forget about K-Town Xoe :'(

Germans pretty damn awesome.
Germany is fucking awesome too.
When I was learning it I used German Dubbed anime as my study tool XD
ehehe...

Back in the day nearly all my online art friends live in Germany.

Das leben ist harte aber ich bin harter.

Russia I think is really cool too though I don't really know much about them besides there painters... Who are, mind you.
The best of the best.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
XoeisCool
Russia I think is really cool too though I don't really know much about them besides there painters... Who are, mind you.
The best of the best.

Here, learn some musicians: Modest Mussorgsky, Islamey Balakirev (listen to "The Lark"; you'll swear the goddess lives), Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Anton Arensky, Alexander Borodin.
Wow we're really putting the 'j' in 'jrpg'.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I want to learn French above all else. There's so much I want to do and see in France, but my Canadian-French learning stopped after bare fundamentals.
Japanese is on my list, but probably never happen. Girlfriend is being tutored in it though!
German would be cool, so I could properly see my Omi's homeland. Other than that, I have travel partners I can rely on to translate.
(getting lost without a language is a strange brand of fun, too!)
Pages: first 12 next last