RPGMAKER GAME JAM!

Pages: 1
I'm going to host a game jam, and the minimum amount of people we require is 1 Designer, 1 Writer, 1 Artist, 1 pixel artist, 1 Programmer, and a composer/sound designer, who want to spend a weekend creating a game. I've been searching the forums, and I can't really find any results regarding jams in the RPGMaker community, so let me know if you want to get in on one!

"But Subito, what is a game jam?"

A Game jam is like a collaborated practice, without a lot of commitment. It's a fun learning experience, but in teams. We pick a topic/theme, and try to finish a short game around it in 72 hrs. Then we have a post mortem, talking about what we learned, what went well, and what could have been better.

subitoVivace
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
PM the moderators about this. They'll help you set it up. Liberty's in a bit of a bind at the moment, but she's the one who most commonly sets up events. GreatRedSpirit, Solitayre, Ankylo, shinan...ordinarily, I'd say Deckiller, but he's been really busy. Kentona's the boss, so all roads lead to him.
if we're supposed to team up people with different skills to make a game in a short period of time i'd be totes up to be the Artist, so long as I can use the artwork I create during the time frame to release to the community for public use xD
This sounds more like they're recruiting for their game jam team, which better fits the job board. Not that I'd be opposed to somebody wanting to run their own game jam here or anything.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=GreatRedSpirit
This sounds more like they're recruiting for their game jam team, which better fits the job board. Not that I'd be opposed to somebody wanting to run their own game jam here or anything.

This, game jams usually involve individuals our small teams churning out games within a relatively short timespan.
Yeah, I'm hosting one - but I also only planned for one team. If there is more interest, I can set up other teams too. Technically, I'm hosting it through the rpgmakerweb forums. Not officially, just for the sake of learning together with someone I've never met before.

author=GreatRedSpirit

If it came off as I'm participating in a game jam, and need a team for it, that is not the case. I simply searched the RPGMakerweb forums for game jams, and noticed that really hasn't been done yet - which, as someone who attends jams regularly, left me astounded. Particularly since it's a community of game developers, haha!

So far, a programmer, character artist, level designer, and a writer want to participate, which is a pretty good team - but I can organize more teams if that's desired.
I want to keep everything in one place, for my own sanity, so here is the link to the RPGMakerweb post:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/63695-rpgmaker-game-jam/#comment-612652

For a complete team to be formed, we're still in need of one designer and one pixel artist. If you're none of these, but still want to participate, leave a message on the RPGMakerweb thread! The date we're aiming for is the 1st of July, and that weekend. :)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Is it normal for gamejams to have just one team, though? I dunno. It could be just me, but, I kinda feel like focusing on getting one team together might come across the wrong way in it of itself.

Good luck either way, though!
Yeah I never heard of a gamejam where there's only 1 game 1 team of people. The point is to be an open community thing where everyone can walk in and do whatever they want.
I think what you're looking for needs to be cleared up: Most people think of a game jam as something like a weekend to month long event where a bunch of people, sometimes in small teams sometimes solo, to a certain theme. The more I look at this it looks like you're trying to assemble a team to take part in a game jam instead of host one. I'm having brain farts and thought you were trying to do both but it doesn't seem like you're running a game jam at all.

If you are recruiting for a team you should post in the job board. You should also read the job board rules. It isn't just rules but a general guideline for trying to recruit some people: Very few people will sign up for some nebulous game dev with somebody they don't know. You need to convey your idea, it might interest some people to join up. You should also say what you've done on your own in the past, nobody wants to work with the "ideas guy" who doesn't contribute anything besides vague direction while expecting everybody else to do the heavy lifting of making the actual game. It helps to have a reputation of being able to make games on your own. They don't need to be big and fancy games that would make Final Fantasy games cry in shame, start smaller and expand as you get a grasp of your own skill levels.
I think what he's actually doing is making a personal challenge sort of thing where he and a group just make a game in a certain period of time to challenge themselves.

As GRS said, though, this is better fit for the Job board section as it's actually just you looking for a team, not an actual group teams event thing. It's more of your own personal desire to, say, make a game in a week with a group. Which is cool, but on this site we actually host events where people can sign up and mess about.

There'll be more in the near future, but we did just come out of one a few weeks ago so we're in a bit of a cool-off period. That said, it's a neat idea to challenge yourself in this way, but you do want to ask for people to join your challenge team in the job section.

Good luck!
^ this! Okay, I'll keep that in mind for next time. I gathered a bunch of people for this one, and we're all set for next weekend.

author=Darken
Yeah I never heard of a gamejam where there's only 1 game 1 team of people. The point is to be an open community thing where everyone can walk in and do whatever they want.

You have to start somewhere though, particularly in this community where there isn't really a huge interest of a game jam. I was going to make more teams if there was interest for it, which there wasn't. I also stated that one diverse team was the *minimum*, not that I was going to assemble just one team. But we have a strong team of 7 now, so it worked out well. Hopefully, we can show off whatever we make and possibly generate some more interest for a later jam, which means more teams.
Oh, there's a big interest for game jams, but usually when people host one they go through the moderators/staff to make it official. That way people can get badges and makerscore for it, as well as have a more co-ordinated effort and make a big event of it instead of a few people getting together to challenge themselves. Just keep your eyes out for the next event to see.

Or check out the turnout in the last few.
https://rpgmaker.net/events/rmnbday9/
https://rpgmaker.net/events/swapsies/
https://rpgmaker.net/events/rsggf/
Pages: 1