WHY AREN'T YOU FUCKERS IN IRC?

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
You're missing the fact I hang out there all the time now.

Addendum: Slack is a bad avenue for community interaction.

There are also easy Chrome apps for IRC, such as this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/byrd-irc-client/endimfdcgfnlmoankhocnkhgohmoecoi
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
I guess I should figure out how to join it without the Opera web browser that I'm too lazy to reinstall.
all the cool kids are on slack apparently
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=Darken
all the cool kids are on slack apparently

Slack is a shitty way to fill the need.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Because fuck IRC.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Why is IRC better than Slack?
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I already use Slack at work so it's 100x more convenient!

also people love using emoji and inline pics
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I love Slack better than IRC. :)
WIP
Slack is great for collaboration and organization. I use it constantly at work. I could easily see RMN staff using it.

But for the masses? Seems very ill-suited. Both IRC and Slack share a similar problem of high-friction. AKA, it takes setup to work. But Slack is higher friction than IRC, requires authorization, etc. Waste of time for the general populace.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
As an actual tool to help us in gam mak, I see slack easily being very detrimental. There's a significant number of people who use it and conversation threads get lost really easily. IRC on the other hand, seems like more junk to dump in my computer.
author=WIP
Slack is great for collaboration and organization. I use it constantly at work. I could easily see RMN staff using it.

But for the masses? Seems very ill-suited. Both IRC and Slack share a similar problem of high-friction. AKA, it takes setup to work. But Slack is higher friction than IRC, requires authorization, etc. Waste of time for the general populace.

Yeah I prefer IRC but ~network effect~ so I lurk slack now. It all hooks up to pidgin so it looks the same anyway. Plus there are people on slack who never showed up on IRC, so, eh.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
80% of my Slack usage is on my mobile - show me a decent IRC app with a consistent UX between different types of devices and I might check out IrC again.

Also alot of people found IRC unwieldy in the past for whatever reason, and Slack is much more user-friendly.

Is it ADMIN-friendly? Not so much. I also dislike the fact that all our data, including emails, are on Slack servers...

Like the EU, it's not perfect, but at this point we need it anyway. Open to alternatives, though.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
That's an ugly way to ask a question.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
LMAO @Cap_H, That works as both Violet Crawley and Professor Minerva McGonagall...
IRC is blocked at work.

Slack is not.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Speaking of slack who do i ask to authorize me?
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=Mirak
Speaking of slack who do i ask to authorize me?

Um, any of the mods, so people like YM, Libby, Ziggy, Frogge or Mawk :D

IRC? I tried that once, but it seemed really clunky and awkward, and took me like 10mins to just get to the chat... and the emojis are so boring there!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Sorry WIP but trying to say Slack is more onerous than IRC couldn't sound more backwards to me.
WIP
author=Solitayre
Sorry WIP but trying to say Slack is more onerous than IRC couldn't sound more backwards to me.
Look two posts above yours.

To add more to this discussion: Slack and IRC both have problems. IRC doesn't have a great universal client, especially on mobile. Slack's entire business is derived from their client not being garbage, so it's pretty slaick.

IRC has the interoperability and freedom Slack doesn't.

My ultimate thought: RMN runs its own IRC server tied into the existing user database and allows instant-on chat via an Electron-powered client. I actually fucked around with the thought and got a prototype functioning in a couple hours.
You know, we are looking for a code developer for RMN's codebase...