WHY AREN'T YOU FUCKERS IN IRC?

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I agree thar integrated chat would be cool. I'd still use Slack also, though.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=CashmereCat
I agree thar integrated chat would be cool. I'd still use Slack also, though.

My thought is that there should be a unified approach to things. If Slack is the baseline of what real-time chat is supposed to be, then the RMN chat would need to do the same. Then there wouldn't BE a Slack.

It's community dividing having things in splintered places.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Yeah, these things shouldn't be happening outside of RMN, even if it's connected by that. It should all be happening here so we can become a unified community and thrive off that.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Part of what I liked about IRC when everyone was on there was that things were a bit more fluid. It's annoying having all of slacks rooms.

Also, IRC is basically always a bit of a blank slate. Anyone can go on, and has ease himself into what's going on. Anyone can log in as anything, so there's less baggage attached to who's who.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Liberty
I used mIRC. It didn't do that. :shrug:

I use mIRC and it does all of the server-connecting, channel-joining and logging-in-with-Nickserv stuff for me because I set it up to do so. Out-of-the-box mIRC and most IRC clients are a blank slate and won't do much of anything without being told, but there are plenty of options and customization to fine-tune the client to specifically what you want or need.

Other stuff most IRC clients support include: Logging, pinging you when someone mentions your name (or any text string for that matter), file transfers (DCC), private messaging, ignoring/blocking users, and more.

mIRC has a scripting functionality too, so you can even get it to power a bot or service of some sort completely autonomously too, should you want it to. Other IRC clients can also perform similarly if they have a scripting functionality as well.

---

Also, it was brought up earlier that Slack had to disable automatic authentications because of a spammer problem. I'm not sure what Slack has in terms of moderating capabilities, but IRC can handle situations like that relatively well by enforcing either an invite-only mode on the channel (mode +i on the channel), enforcing a registered-users-only mode (mode +r on the channel, if I recall correctly) where anyone who wants to come in needs to be registered with Nickserv, or moderating the entire channel (mode +m on the channel) and allowing only people with voice (+v) or operator rights to speak. Bans can also be placed either very broadly or very specifically depending on what hostmask you choose to ban, too.
That's nice and all, but slack does it without having to set shit up. Also, it's just a lot more visually appealing and works well. Without having to delve into scripting and doing all sorts of bullshit to make it look/act like a more modern chat program.
I guess going into an options menu is too much for some people.
Umm... requesting access and validating your account IS "setting that shit up" for Slack
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
Finally! We can all disagree with something.
You can even have annoying bots spamming in IRC, too. Aren't you happy?
author=kentona
Umm... requesting access and validating your account IS "setting that shit up" for Slack
(Except when you get in early enough that it was literally two seconds and automated ;p

I clicked a link one time and was in.)
KingArthur
author=SnowOwl
You can even have annoying bots spamming in IRC, too. Aren't you happy?

I don't actually recall any coming into our channel, but if one does decide to come in we can smite it down easily enough.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Honestly, the real differences between Slack and IRC are negligible.

Slack has real usernames and requires some slight hurdle to start, persistent messages, a better handling for certain media, and multiple rooms

IRC is basically anonymous, non-persistent messages, accessible from a variety of vectors, and one-room.

I guess the real question to ask is - why does RMN have a chat in the first place? Why are we using it? Is it just a faster general shoot-the-shit forum? A place to get help? Is it where people can talk to collaborate on game projects?

It's a bit of all three. I guess I just feel, if you're not going to use RMN's forums and private messages, IRC fills the first two roles better, and the third slightly poorer than Slack.

Most of all I just feel like it's unfortunate to have both at the same time since it just splits up the chatbase.
KingArthur
IRC has Nickserv, a network service bot that handles username registrations and logging in to them, so it's not all anonymous. In particular, you need to be registered to have any automatic voice/operator status given to you and channels can be set to only let registered users in depending on the channel modes active.

Also, it's only "one room" because we only registered one channel. We can register more channels if there is a need for them. Like if we wanted #rpgmaker.net-welp or whatever we can register that to use as well. =V

Though if we ever elect to run multiple IRC channels, it might be easier logistically for RMN to just host its own IRC server rather than using SynIRC.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=Hexatona
Honestly, the real differences between Slack and IRC are negligible.

Slack has real usernames and requires some slight hurdle to start, persistent messages, a better handling for certain media, and multiple rooms

IRC is basically anonymous, non-persistent messages, accessible from a variety of vectors, and one-room.

I guess the real question to ask is - why does RMN have a chat in the first place? Why are we using it? Is it just a faster general shoot-the-shit forum? A place to get help? Is it where people can talk to collaborate on game projects?

It's a bit of all three. I guess I just feel, if you're not going to use RMN's forums and private messages, IRC fills the first two roles better, and the third slightly poorer than Slack.

Most of all I just feel like it's unfortunate to have both at the same time since it just splits up the chatbase.
This is more the discussion I believe should be had. I was talking to some folks in IRC last night about it.

Mainly, what role does anything (forum, Slack, IRC) serve? If all these things live in different pockets, it's hard to see them being cohesive. Slack and forums are asynchronous and persistent (if you pay for it with Slack). If you like the persistency of Slack, do you feel the same about forums? Is it an interface issue at that point?

If real-time chat is supposed to be for entirely ad-hoc communication, I think IRC is the better approach foundation. It doesn't require authentication or registration. A web-based IRC client can join the RMN IRC in mere seconds.

But that doesn't seem to be how people want it. People like being known. I think that, even if registration isn't required for IRC, it's recommended and silly to not use.

author=KingArthur
Though if we ever elect to run multiple IRC channels, it might be easier logistically for RMN to just host its own IRC server rather than using SynIRC.
There would be some other benefits involved with this as well. Such as shared registration.
Slacks for 'real talk'
Also procrastination.

I'm to young to know what IRC is.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=WIP
Mainly, what role does anything (forum, Slack, IRC) serve?

Well right now it's a relaxing get-away from the dick-headed cliques who plague the forums.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Ratty524
author=WIP
Well right now it's a relaxing get-away from the dick-headed cliques who plague the forums.

Really? Because for me there's plenty dick-headed cliques plaguing Slack :/

Therefore I used it a bit and then stopped using it.
WIP
author=XoeisCooI
Slacks for 'real talk'
Also procrastination.

I'm to young to know what IRC is.

Define what "real talk" is compared to the forums. This seems like a very real topic. If RMN's forum looked more like chat, what is the functional difference?

author=Ratty524
author=WIP

One dick-headed clique for another? There's always cliques somewhere. And that isn't a great response to an actual design and organizational question.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I wouldn't call the clique in Slack dick-headed. There are cliques that are better than others.

Also I think Xoe is referring to the #realtalk channel that is reserved for political matters in Slack.