VL GOTHIC FONT NOT FOUND

Pages: 1
Hello. I've ran into a little snag. One of the people that downloaded my game informed me that the game won't play because the VL Gothic font couldn't be found. I would like some advice on how to fix this problem. And after I've uploaded a game, can I reupload with a corrected version?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I think I might have seen the comment on your gamepage. The question that occurs to me is how did you package the game? If you used VX Ace's built-in compressor, I'm almost certain it includes the font file for you. If you used WinZip/WinRAR, or like program, it would only include the "Font" sub-directory if it already existed in your project directory.

As an alternative...

author=Marrend
What I've done more recently for VX Ace games is run Tsukihime's resource-checker (with a few edits) and create a self-extracting executable that has the necessary RTP files with it.

As for the question as to whither or not one can edit an existing download, this is absolutely possible. Go into Manage Games (Black bar at the top, just under your user-name; first option) and find the link to the game you want to update. From there, find the "Downloads" icon/link, and there should be a selection of available downloads, plus a "New Download" button at the bottom. You would select a currently available download. From there, I believe there's a place to select a URL to associate the download with, or to upload a file. Use the appropriate option for your situation.

Note that updating a download in this manner would not produce a notice to your subscribers. Depending on how major the update is, you can let people know that the game has been updated via a comment ("I have updated the game to include the font files. Sorry for the inconvenience!") or via a blog, if the update has a lot of info/changes to relay.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Create a new folder in your project file and add the VL Gothic font. You'll find it in C:\Windows\Fonts.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Here you go:

https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/37917/locker/VLPGothicRegular.ttf

https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/37917/locker/VLGothicRegular.ttf

Put these files in the Fonts folder of your game, and it should run correctly. I'm not sure what the order is, but the player's computer checks if the VLGothic fonts are installed, then checks if these fonts are in your game's Fonts folder. If the computer can't find the fonts anywhere, the game won't run.

I'm not entirely sure if players need to install these fonts on their computer or if the game can run with the fonts in the folder, but it couldn't hurt to, since installing them will mean they'll never have this issue again. Either way, players have nothing to lose by installing these fonts.

I had a similar issue with my latest release, and installing the fonts solved the problem.
pianotm
@Red_Nova Technically, if you have the font, you shouldn't need it. The problem here is that whoever is having the problem doesn't have the font, so including the font in your project with a folder named "Fonts" solves the problem.

If I understand the OP correctly, x/he's not the one having the problem, but one of the people using the program, so x/he probably has the files.
Okay. Thank you so much for your advice.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Yeah, the installation was just general advice for players, but the Fonts folder was directed primarily at Crystal. I had a similar issue with my lastest demo, actually, and the solution I gave them solved their problem, so I was just relaying that to Crystal.
author=pianotm
@Red_Nova Technically, if you have the font, you shouldn't need it. The problem here is that whoever is having the problem doesn't have the font, so including the font in your project with a folder named "Fonts" solves the problem.

If I understand the OP correctly, x/he's not the one having the problem, but one of the people using the program, so x/he probably has the files.

I was also missing the font files in my game, so I recompressed the data, making sure the font files were included. Thank you all so much for your help.
Red_Nova
No problem!
pianotm
Glad we could help!
Pages: 1