SO ERM... MIGHTY NO. 9

Pages: 1
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Remember this topic a couple years ago?
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/15705/

Well, good news is that it's finally released!

... and it's pretty much hated by everyone.

I haven't played this yet, but it kind of sucks to hear that it failed to be the Megaman successor it was pent up to be. From what little I've seen so far, it doesn't look BAD per se, but it looks as if it took some of the worst aspects of later Megaman games (lousy VAs, bad tutorials) and made it its own game.

The trailer is also a cringe-inducing embarrassment:

"CRAZY ADDICTIVE, LIKE POPPING BUBBLE WRAP ADDICTIVE!"

I also like how Sonic the Hedgehog's twitter dropped a nifty burn on the developers:

... They really have no room to talk.

So this game and its kickstarter are now the subject of a lot of controversy these days. What are your thoughts on this whole thing, especially those who played the game?

To me it seems like "too much hype to meet anyone's expectations". I'm reminded of Night Cry in particular. You gotta hype things a lot for crowdfunding/marketing in general and no game (crowdfunded or otherwise) will live up to someone's hyped-up ideal. I haven't played the game itself so I won't speak to its quality, but for all the messes that can come out of kickstarted projects, there's been some cool stuff too. I've seen some people use Mighty no. 9 as an example of why crowdfunding doesn't lead to good games, but eh, I don't think so.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
I'm still waiting for Megaman Legends 3 though.

author=PentagonBuddy
I've seen some people use Mighty no. 9 as an example of why crowdfunding doesn't lead to good games, but eh, I don't think so.

If we use FNaF as an example (considering that the game has been open to crowdfunding but never did it receive a single amount even a penny doesn't exist there), we should focus more on the game rather than the money the fans give to make us motivated... and also the hype-control as well.
author=PB
To me it seems like "too much hype to meet anyone's expectations". I'm reminded of Night Cry in particular. You gotta hype things a lot for crowdfunding/marketing in general and no game (crowdfunded or otherwise) will live up to someone's hyped-up ideal. I haven't played the game itself so I won't speak to its quality, but for all the messes that can come out of kickstarted projects, there's been some cool stuff too. I've seen some people use Mighty no. 9 as an example of why crowdfunding doesn't lead to good games, but eh, I don't think so.

I dunno, I heard the game pretty much objectively sucked, even taking all of that into account.
I've heard mediocre things and "yeah it was bad but I've played worse", myself... at least from the folks I know who have played it, so this is not a large number

"Bad but I've seen worse" is still not good though, and I think some of the backlash is coming from the hype + how easy it is to tear into kickstarted projects for being disappointing (since people often have a much more personal stake if they were a backer)
It wasn't so much the hype that killed it for a lot of people as it was the shadiness and lack of communication from the devs. Having to open a second kickstarter for voice acting, and opening three separate kickstarters for Red Ash (with their own series of shadiness) makes it seem like they were taking the crowdfunding thing as far as it could go.

And with them immediately franchising MN9 before the game was even released makes you wonder how much of the 4 million actually went towards development.
I played some kickstarter demo awhile back and it was pretty bad. The dash mechanic sort of negates itself by actually making it super mandatory but also annoying to use since it requires you to anticipate how many hits an enemy can take before you're allowed to dash into it. MMX was just fine having dashing not the main gimmick so I don't know why no one on MN9 said anything back in the early prototypes. Also the level design is pretty sparse and lacking, you're pretty much spamming shots without thinking too much on navigation just dashshot spam to the point that it makes the Mega-Man genre look bad. It seems like most of this hasn't changed.

I haven't paid attention to the drama around it too much but I watched episode 1 of the documentary on youtube. There's something really off about how game development or any project process is presented when the guys have no idea on how big of a trainwreck they're on. I guess you can't really avoid it but it's interesting to me.

I think the thing that killed it was Infunae's decision to think of this game as a franchise, cartoon, toy line etc. when it's obvious that it isn't quite Capcom anymore. Apparently he's more business man than designer but it's a pretty hard fit when it comes to making a self funded platformer game. I also find it weird that so much effort was spent on porting it to every system imaginable all at once when it doesn't run remotely well on any of them. You look at Inti-Creates other games and they seem to be good just by virtue of being well within their means. I really don't know man.
To be fair to the Sonic twitter guy. They're not in charge of the games, they're in charge of the zings. And boy are the zings good...

Regarding MN9, my view on kickstarters are usually pretty chill. You know, "a fool and his money". You should be acutely aware that you're throwing your money at promises. If I'm not mistaken, their TOS says (or used to say) that pledges are basically donations. And as such, I'm not exactly sure how valid is it to expect receiving a product at the end of the day that lives to its hype. Or at all.

That being said, talking about expectations: Coming to learn that you cannot trust the one person in the world from whom you'd think it would be reasonable to expect a good successor to MegaMan, gotta sting. Special when we're talking about millions of dollars... Ouch! I can at the very least understand if people are pissed and want to mock it, even if I don't agree with everything they say.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Yeah... Sonic might've had room to talk if Mega Man crashed and burned way back in the 90s and never picked up again, but it's an undue potshot at best. It's like one of those cringe comp Sonic fans thought "This... this is my moment!" and just dug in with no sense of self-awareness.

But that aside, I haven't played Mighty #9 and chances are I probably never will so I'm going to take someone else's opinion on its quality as truth. If it's universally panned, it's probably for a good reason.

You know it's bad when you give someone something for free and even they don't want it.

$3.8M? Oh well.

If you're gonna post Sonic's potshots at MN9 this is the best one:

e: Context is in the MN9 Masterclass trailer ratty posted
The game's graphics just look so horrible and bland that I don't even want to try it.

I do like most of the recent Sonic games (Colours and Generations were pretty good imo).
Ratty524
author=GreatRedSpirit
If you're gonna post Sonic's potshots at MN9 this is the best one:

e: Context is in the MN9 Masterclass trailer ratty posted

Oh man now that's gold.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
People on Steam are defending this game by claiming that Megaman Classic wasn't anywhere near as good as it's factually proven to be (1 and 2 are too hard and the level design is bad) and that nostalgia is the only thing keeping people from liking Mighty #9 more.

They're also saying that it's too early to hate it because the game was in development for years. Duke Nukem Forever, anyone? Oh, and Mighty #9 is better because the graphics are better than pixel graphics. ??????

I don't say this anywhere near as often as I used to, but... fucking kids, am I right?
Ratty524
author=Corfaisus
People on Steam are defending this game by claiming that Megaman Classic wasn't anywhere near as good as it's factually proven to be (1 and 2 are too hard and the level design is bad) and that nostalgia is the only thing keeping people from liking Mighty #9 more.

They're also saying that it's too early to hate it because the game was in development for years. Duke Nukem Forever, anyone? Oh, and Mighty #9 is better because the graphics are better than pixel graphics. ??????

I don't say this anywhere near as often as I used to, but... fucking kids, am I right?

I think Darken gave a nice summary as to the flaws of the game, and some reviews I've seen on youtube as well. It may have some of the same elements as a classic Megaman game, but it doesn't really utilize those elements in a way that's fun, and the bullshit it throws at you really hits you as a result.
I'm watching an LP of it and the game is just mediocre in every way. It's not a train-wreck like Sonic 2006 or Metroid Other M, it's just boring. The game would be merely obscure if it wasn't for the broken promises.
I think I'd be more inclined to finish the game if it didn't look and play like it was made in LittleBigPlanet.
Judging from LP's of it, and going off what I've seen, one of the gripes I have is that the stages are a mixed bag of treats: Some are cool and still have some sort of challenge while others are completely lackluster and boring.

The boss fights are probably one of the few strong suits, and that's not saying much if it's complete chore to get to them. But even then, some of the bosses are poor imitations of what's come before them...

However.

I keep this in mind: We're talking about a guy who's worked on Mega Man most of his life, and after awhile, it starts getting harder and harder to make new, innovative stages/bosses/abilities without rehashing/retreading what's been done, and better.

At best, M#9 is a mediocre platformer at best and was handled rather poorly by the dev team. This is one of the instances of a Kickstarter promising so much and not delivering.

But eh, they tried. Didn't do so well, but they tried.

I know that the Wii U version of the game is buggy beyond what's on PC and other digital platforms. Tis sad.
Pages: 1