EDUCATIONAL GAMES?

Pages: 1
So, I finally figured out what I want to do with my life RPG Maker MV: an educational game that introduces biology to kids. I want the game to be a fun learning experience with some focus on gameplay and story too.

I just have some questions...

1. Could fun gameplay distract some children from learning? I'm thinking of making the gameplay mostly about puzzles, quizzes and other problemsolving elements.

2. Is it bad that I don't have an academical background yet? Would that alone make people dismiss the game?

3. Are there any educational games that you adore or abhor? What are common pitfalls? What would you like to see more in educational games?

Thanks in advance!
1.) I don't think it would, Children learn best when they're having fun. Its easy for them to retain information that way, as long as the objective of your puzzles/minigames/quizzes/etc. can be associated to the lesson.

2.) Nope it won't, but it's an advantage to have an academical background because you have a firm grasp and knowledge of the subject.

3.) I like educational games that don't force a lot of information for you to learn in an instant (mostly large blocks of text), I prefer it when something complex is broken down to simple bits and pieces of information with accompanying visuals.

You have to keep in mind the target audience, which age group/grade/year are you referring to?
Thanks!

I'm thinking of making the game for around 6- to 12-year-olds. I know that's quite a large group to appeal to, but I like some challenge. Thinking of borrowing some elementary level school books to see what to include :-)
Ahh, I remember some old edu-tainment computer games I played when I was a wee' tike. Point and Click adventure-style games are actually a tried and true way of simple education, depending on the puzzles of course. Something important to keep in mind is not let the context of what the player is doing mechanically obscure the actual educational material, or else the "education" would be more of an annoyance to the player
Do young uns' still play these nowadays? Who knew. Well, if that's what you wanna do, then go for it.

1. Fun distracts anyone. Especially children.

2. It's not a must to have an academic background, but it certainly helps. I'm guessing being a parent is just as good at teaching you what works with kids.

3. I did play some when I was a kid. I can't recall the name of a single one, though...
Some of my most fond memories are from educational games.
I don't remember the names of any of them, but I could describe in detail about them.

One of the most memorable ones was on the old iMac's, those colored monstrosities.
Some cartoony game where you could fight or compete with different evil groups and you had to do things like math, or type really fast, ect.

Go crazy and keep us updated!
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Number Crunchers is the best.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/HGFCpAOaQfg[/youtube] Check out this edutainment game. It was made in RPG MAKER. I haven’t played it myself, but know a few people who have.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=SnowOwl
3. I did play some when I was a kid. I can't recall the name of a single one, though...
Mathblaster XD
author=InfectionFiles
author=SnowOwl
Mathblaster XD

Mathblaster was awesome.
I think this is a good idea. Yes, there're a lot of similar games for children now. Especially in learning languages. Children playfully perceive information, nevertheless, it is very effective and provides a good knowledge base for the future. There were no such applications before, the only thing I used was free sources and where I could read and be inspired by some ideas for myself, such as this one SPAM DO YOU SPEAK IT Therefore, it's wonderful that so much attention is given to the educational process now, and even for the smallest children, educational games are being created. Thank you for this!!
SNES: Mario is Missing. It features the trans-America pyramid.
I also played Math-blaster pc version.
Light bot, pbs kids are among the best educational games.
I would also like to add here the importance of proper gaming accessories including SPAM DO YOU SPEAK IT
, mouse, keyboards and chairs also play major role in providing effective gaming experience.
I just forgot to add Adventure academy, amazing educational game
Pages: 1