MAFIA GUIDE; HOSTING, SUGGESTIONS, AND DISCUSSION

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I think I'm going to run a game. It'll probably be basic with a small hook. Nothing like the Exorcism Mafia I did.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Yeah! Do that while I try to figure out how to balance a role madness game.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Okay, psy, I'm going to steal your rules list.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I'm claiming the next game after Muffle's.
REMINDER TO USE THE
[MAFIA]
tag in your title when the game actually starts. To edit the topic title scroll to the bottom of the page of the topic and hit Edit Topic.
Jeroen_Sol
Huh, wow, seems I made a pretty balanced game at 49.5% town, 50.5% scum win. I made some handwavey assumptions in AI though, such as scum being 1.5 times as likely to be lynched as town. Still, seems my intuition was pretty good.

Actually scratch that, I forgot about a very important part of one of the roles. It's actually about 54% town, 46% scum, though the biggest factor in that is that scum is assumed to be 1.5 times as likely to be lynched. If not, then it's 43% town, 57% scum. If it's 1.2 times, then it's 49% town, 51% scum.

If people are up for another game already, I'll put up the page tomorrow. If not, I'll wait a bit.
Haha, scum 1.5x more likely is very optimistic.

Anyway as much as I like mafia a week cooldown minimum between games in general would be really nice -- I probably wouldn't sit out, but I'd sure as hell get burnt out.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
I'm definitely burnt out for a little bit (not too long.) additionally I would prefer to run a game than play in another one. I actually talked about it earlier but then psy ran his and people just posted them nonstop ever since. (that said I don't want to do it in the near future so do whatever)
Jeroen_Sol
Alright. I'll wait about a week then. Or longer if Cave does decide he wants to run his game then.

One of the biggest reasons I want to host right now is also to prevent myself from getting burned out, because man I had forgotten how stressful scum games can be.

author=psy_wombats
Haha, scum 1.5x more likely is very optimistic.

Do keep in mind that with say 2 v 7, that still means there's only a 30% chance of lynching correctly. At 2 v 3, it'd be 50%. At 3 v 5, 47%.
Cool.

Also, I'd like to propose that we enforce that all games come through this topic first and not sign up for ones that don't, just because otherwise the "sign up before slots gone" mentality takes over the "please vet/delay the game for site sanity reasons" one.
Jeroen_Sol
I agree. It also prevents the (accidental) ninja'ing of games that's happened sometimes.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yes, I'm just not sure everyone knows about this thread.
Also, I would like to host one in may or even july, so it's almost time to start a new queue.
Jeroen_Sol
Beside the game I'm working on right now, I'm also thinking of hosting a quick chaos game on Discord. Voice chat optional. It's Town of Salem, just like last game, and it's called Vigilantics. Everyone is either a ToS vigilante (commit suicide after a misfire) or a witch (redirect player A to target player B. A and B may be the same player). Witches don't know each other's identity, but both sides need to kill the entire other faction to win. We'd need to find a time when everyone can be online, day phases would be like 10 minutes, night phases 5. I'd probably need 5 more minutes to work out the results of the crazy redirection chains, leading to days of about 20 minutes total. So if we can find a time when everyone can be online for like 2 hours that might be a fun, not too serious game.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You can't do voice chat optional. You can do voice chat, or you can do text chat. You can't have some players speaking on voice chat and some not. That doesn't fucking work in a game that is entirely about reading other people.

Also, IMO, a game that comes out to numerically 50/50 is wildly imbalanced in favor of town, because that 50/50 is assuming that nobody in the game has any skill or success at reading anyone else's lies. It assumes everyone only either votes based on info from power roles, or votes blindly. Town should win if they correctly base their lynches on who is acting scummy. They should not have a 50/50 chance of winning even if they completely fail at that.
Jeroen_Sol
That's true. Then I guess it's voice chat unless one of the players can't/doesn't want to, in which case it's text chat.

author=LockeZ
Also, IMO, a game that comes out to numerically 50/50 is wildly imbalanced in favor of town, because that 50/50 is assuming that nobody in the game has any skill or success at reading anyone else's lies. It assumes everyone only either votes based on info from power roles, or votes blindly. Town should win if they correctly base their lynches on who is acting scummy. They should not have a 50/50 chance of winning even if they completely fail at that.

Hence the "scum is 1.5x as likely to be lynched thing"
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Ah, I thought you meant that was caused by some mechanic you were adding. OK.
Equally likely is the way to do it, that's what most models use. Scum is just as good at weaseling around and manipulating the vote as town is at sussing out its liars. Usually better.

also if please consider when the last town RMN win was, where it's supposedly so easy to find liars
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
Town WOULD have won two recent games, this last one and umineko, if deadlines had been in the evening!!
Jeroen_Sol
I do like being able to be active around EOD, but with most of the players being American, deadlines being in a time convenient to them would be best.

Except I'm probably hosting the next game so oops, that's not going to happen.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I'm curious when Mafia is gonna burn out again. Especially when it's the same people over and over. That's fine and all, but jeez.

I may gonna have to join soon.