TO MOVE OR NOT TO MOVE? THAT IS THE QUESTION...

Pages: first 12 next last
So, I've been discussing my game with someone over on another forums. They think that it'd just be better to move my game over to a more recent program, such as MV. However, obviously I do not have the money to buy such an extravagant thing (and I don't particularly like the idea of having to be on Steam to even use a program...). I did get the trial version to see how it differed from 2k3, and I can see quite a few differences in it that I like. Being able to check monster statuses is a big plus, but also having built-in Encounter Half, Encounter None, Double Gold, Double Item Drop Rate, Pre-Emptive Strike Up, Nullify Back Attack, MP Cost Rates, Hit Rate adjustments, Item healing, forcing action, built-in Cover, etc. are all something that I really, really wish default 2k3 had. I mean, yes, there's DynRPG which I use, and it has been a great tool for my game.

However, would it be wise at this point in time to even TRY to transfer a 8-9 year old game, 40+ hours worth of gameplay, roughly 70-80% finished, to a newer maker at this point? I understand where the person is coming from, 2k3 IS really outdated and there are glaring issues with the maker that makes my game in particular kinda...jarring to play and really outdated?? But imagining all the work I'd have to do put everything back in, IF I could (I don't know if 2k3 sprites and tiles would work with MV, and I don't know what things from DynRPG I would lose transferring over. Add onto that that I don't know anything about scripting and that kinda kills some things here and there. And oh god putting in all the skills and enemies and maps and characters and auuuugh!!). I don't know, I just need opinions on the matter...
Might as well switch over to MV IF you plan on remastering or remaking your completed game.

Its too much of a hassle to transfer at this point, since you're halfway done with your game. If you have the time, dedication and the finances, go ahead but if not might as well stick to what you have now. ;)

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Definitely do not switch up now. Finish your 2k3 game and then move onto MV or VX ACE for an entirely new game.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Finish your damn game.
It all depends if you want to finish your game or not. The fact that it's a 8-9 year old game suggests that maybe you don't actually ever want to finish. In that case do move on to a new engine. And do so every four or five years or so. The game will be in perpetual development and you will never have to worry about anything other than porting the bits you've already made and never actually make progress.

However if you do want to finish your game don't move.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
author=InfectionFiles
Definitely do not switch up now. Finish your 2k3 game and then move onto MV or VX ACE for an entirely new game.
unity
You're magical to me.
The program doesn't make the game great, the developer does. True, 2k3 has a lot of rough spots, but plenty of talented developers have made very enjoyable games with it.

Keep in mind that just because MV has a lot of improvements doesn't mean it'll automatically improve your game, and it'll add so many hours to the development time that, unless you are super dedicated to remaking everything, probably isn't worth it.

author=Shinan
It all depends if you want to finish your game or not. The fact that it's a 8-9 year old game suggests that maybe you don't actually ever want to finish. In that case do move on to a new engine. And do so every four or five years or so. The game will be in perpetual development and you will never have to worry about anything other than porting the bits you've already made and never actually make progress.

However if you do want to finish your game don't move.

This is good advice ^_^
Transferring that 8-9 year old game into a new engine is going to turn it into a 12-13 year old game easily.
author=LockeZ
Finish your damn game.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Merlandese
LockeZ
Finish your damn game.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=pianotm
Merlandese
LockeZ
Finish your damn game.

EDIT: lol lazy posting. xD
Oh my, that's a lot of people saying to finish it lol. I knew Locke would say that, seeing as he's seen what's in it already, but I'm surprised by how many other people are saying that too!

@Shinan: I actually DO want to finish this thing. The person also hinted at just dropping the game outright and treating it as a bygone experiment, but I'd hate myself if I just did that hue. Of course, the only reason it's taking me so long is because I'm having trouble coming up with ideas lately (if it weren't for a couple dungeons, I'd have had this beta done already and moving onto completely fresh territory for the game!). That, and I spent a good 2 years or something going back and fixing bugs, maps, updating characters, etc. to make the game better heh.

@Unity: I suppose that is true. Many people in the past have liked the game as it is (and many others have not, but that's just how it goes ha), even with the issues 2k3 has so I guess I'm doing SOMETHING right.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Xenomic
Oh my, that's a lot of people saying to finish it lol. I knew Locke would say that, seeing as he's seen what's in it already, but I'm surprised by how many other people are saying that too!

@Shinan: I actually DO want to finish this thing. The person also hinted at just dropping the game outright and treating it as a bygone experiment, but I'd hate myself if I just did that hue. Of course, the only reason it's taking me so long is because I'm having trouble coming up with ideas lately (if it weren't for a couple dungeons, I'd have had this beta done already and moving onto completely fresh territory for the game!). That, and I spent a good 2 years or something going back and fixing bugs, maps, updating characters, etc. to make the game better heh.

@Unity: I suppose that is true. Many people in the past have liked the game as it is (and many others have not, but that's just how it goes ha), even with the issues 2k3 has so I guess I'm doing SOMETHING right.

Eh, I guess my only advice here is "fail faster." There will be people who will shit on your work and it's definitely going to crush your motivation, but now's the time to think of why you do what you do. Do you accept the fact that every project you make is likely to be bound for failure in some sense and yet still persevere to make a finished work while taking it as a learning experience, or do you dwell on this negative feedback and endlessly tinker at your game while ultimately not having a real portfolio as a result?
Yeah, I know that anything I make, whether it be Let's Play videos, sprite art, or RPG Maker game, is going to be deemed as a "failure" to quite a few people out there, but can't let that stop me aye. I already committed myself to doing this for this long, I'm going to try to see this particular project to the end if possible. I just hope it's not another 8 years before I finish hue.
unity
You're magical to me.
If it makes you feel any better, I think your Final Fantasy spell compilations are awesome, and I have used them as an attempt to learn how good animations work :D
Well, at least someone uses it for something lol. Some of those were a pain to do, like the FFII ones (oh god the FFII ones). Showing everything off in general is a massive pain in the bum. T-T
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
My best advice is if you're 70%ish complete then wrap up your project as quickly as you can. I've done this even to my beloved projects because I feel I want to move on or instead of trying to remake a game in a newer engine, I wrap up what I have in a decent manner and then start a new game in a "better" engine.

if you don't want it to drag OR see it fail then give it a proper outro and move on with your game making. :)
@InfectionFiles: Yeah, I have the entire story already set up in my mind, it's just a matter of getting there. I already cut out 11 filler dungeons (because they weren't needed anymore), so that's a lot less to deal with, but still quite a bit more to go through left. That's not including sidequests and optional stuff that I'm not doing until after maingame is done, IF I do them. ^^;;

The biggest problem is mapping for me, because it takes me ages to actually get mapping done. Monsters, I can handle for the MOST part, bar coming up with some unique ideas. Eventing, no problem. Mapping? It just doesn't end!

@Zeello: I THINK I may have seen that at one point actually. o.o
I'd like to agree with what most people are saying. I feel you will find a lot of value to finish the game first, then work on other projects.

I have 4 completed games listed and I've only been on this site since January. Four games! And they're not the best (though a couple are well appreciated), but I took the advice of "fail faster."

Another good tip I picked up here, was to wrap up the game when you feel you've done enough. It's good to set goals for your game length, but if you have been working on it for years and there seems to be no end in sight, perhaps you may consider cutting some excess content you'll never complete. If you feel you've done enough and you've run out of ideas on how to proceed, perhaps that's where you should call it quits and finish the project early. Better than to never finish it at all!

There's a story about a wise man that went to write a book concerning all that he had learned over his life. However, after 10 years, he realized he had learned so much that everything in the book needed to be rewritten. So he got rid of the book he was working on and started over. Ten years later, he realizes again that he has grown in wisdom over the years, so he throws out the old book and begins writting a new one. This process continues until eventually the man dies of old age. The book never gets finished, and he was never able to share his wisdom.
Pages: first 12 next last