[RMVX ACE] MORE DETAILED CHARACTER SPRITES?

Pages: 1
Hello, all.
For a while, I've been thinking of trying my hand at creating completely custom character sprites. However, I'm not a spriter myself. I work with large pictures most of the time, rather than itty-bitty ones. I thought about using the techniques I use in digital art to make sprites, but they always come out looking kinda silly (or at least pretty crude-looking) since they're so small. This leads me to my question: Is it possible to make larger-scaled characters (Say, doubled the size) and then have them fit properly into a single 32x32 grid space? Or at least enlarge the grid to be big enough that they fit in-game properly?
Thanks in advance.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yes. If you're making a larger sprite, simply put a $ at the beginning of the file name. You can make a sprite literally any size you want.
author=pianotm
You can make a sprite literally any size you want.
I realize I can technically make the sprites as large or small as needed, and I've done so to put XP sprites into VX ACE, but if you move beside a wall and your sprite's larger than 32x32, you'll wind up overlapping, which is what I'm trying to avoid. To rephrase my question, Can I make a larger sprite, and then have it fit the 32x32 grid blocks, OR can I enlarge the grid blocks to fit the sprite sizes? (I'll go edit my original post to be more specific. Sorry for the confusion.)
pianotm
You can't make the tiles bigger, but why can't you make your walls taller? For the standard sprites, I make my walls 2 tiles high. For 70px sprites, I make my walls 3 tiles high. The doors, you can make any size, too. Just make sure to put !$ at the beginning of the file name.
I can, and have. However, if your sprite is wider than normal, and you go completely to the left or right, and run into a wall, you'll notice you're character's sprite is past the wall. This is my only real problem with making larger sprites. (If you've never seen this before, try creating a test actor with one of the larger $ sprites, and run into a wall.)
pianotm
Try putting your sprite in a larger square so that there's more space around it.

For example, instead of putting your 70px sprite in a 100x100 space, make it 100x125 or 100x150, giving her or him a bit of a buffer for collision detection.
You could also try a script that zooms a character sprite as well as other functions.

I personally use this in my project:
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/1283-event-position-fine-tuning/

Another method, is designing tilesets that accomodate large-sized sprites.
author=pianotm
Try putting your sprite in a larger square so that there's more space around it.
I hadn't thought about that! I'll certainly try it out and see if it works the way I want it to. ^^

author=Kaneshon
You could also try a script that zooms a character sprite as well as other functions.
Personally, I've yet to find something like this, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

author=Kaneshon
I personally use this in my project:
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/1283-event-position-fine-tuning/

Another method, is designing tilesets that accomodate large-sized sprites.
Not really what I was looking for on the script, but it's still really interesting, and I've actually wondered if there was something like that.
I figure that, if I can manage to get the character sprites to work, I'll proceed to make a larger sprite sheet to go with.
Pages: 1