[RM2K3 PATCH] PICSINBATTLE/PICPOINTERS (FOR V1.11)

Pages: 1
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Update: The Pic Pointer Patch had a bug where it was incompatible with "move picture". Kind of a big problem! It has been fixed now, but needs to be downloaded and re-applied to projects.

Hi. I noticed a lack of support for some of the demanded features in the official version of RPG Maker 2003. I haven't seen Cherry around for a long time, so I went ahead and adapted his original PicsInBattle and PicPointer patches to work with the latest official version (1.11). Absolutely don't use them with RPG Advocate's unofficial release, I guarantee 100% they will eviscerate your runtime, and might even set your project folder/house on fire.

So what exactly are the possibilities here? Well, you can do some cool things like this:

Or make your custom menu system much more hassle-free.

Disclaimer(s): Both patches should be completely functional, but I'm not nearly as familiar with the RPG_RT binary as Cherry is. I've done minimal testing in order to ensure they work properly, and hope some brave souls here will be willing to take up the task of evaluating them further. Use at your own risk, and if something breaks, blame yourself, or god.

Pics In Battle Patch:
___________________________________________________________________________________
Main download: https://rpgmaker.net/users/Magi/locker/PicsInBattle_RPG2003_v111.rar
Backup link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04750727352824476121
___________________________________________________________________________________

Pic Pointer Patch LITE:
Updated 09/05/16
Main download: https://rpgmaker.net/users/Magi/locker/PicPointerPatch_Lite_V2_RPG_2003_v111.rar
Backup link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=03822293262261591427

There also shouldn't be any legal issues if you want to use the patches in your project, but because this is somewhat of a test-run, I haven't registered either of them with Enterbrain. I'm not even sure if that's required or not. If the patches work and you love them, please give all your credit to Cherry.

The readme files explains how each patch is used, and in fact they are (mostly) identical to Cherry's originals, which can be found here:
http://cherrytree.at/cms/download/?did=14
http://cherrytree.at/cms/download/?did=19
Thanks Magi! A lot of people have been clamoring for this (myself included). I'll be trying it out tonight. (─‿‿─)

For those who may know (Nessiah?), what's the procedure for Enterbrain/Deciga to greenlight patched or modified versions of Rm2k3 for commercial projects? Is it already in-process?
author=Blindmind
For those who may know (Nessiah?), what's the procedure for Enterbrain/Deciga to greenlight patched or modified versions of Rm2k3 for commercial projects? Is it already in-process?

I too would like to know this... >_>

So long as you at least buy the official version, it shouldn't matter which version you use for your game. The EULA rules kind of screw old-timers like us. :-/
Magi
Resident Terrapin
I'm curious if further development on RPG Maker 2003 has halted completely. It's in a good place for most people, but the time of the last update was nearly a year ago and I'm sure some people were hoping for one or two more updates. Still, the changes in the official release are great and are more than most of us could have asked for to begin with.

I think the EULA is specific about Advo's version being a messy can of worms if you choose to go commercial on it. I know some people were knee-deep in using the CGSS/DynRPG plugin, which makes importing into the official release all but impossible.

That brings me kind of to the next point: the PicPointerPatch. I've just modernized this classic feature for the official version, but have had to make changes so owners of the Steam version can enjoy it. The original patch required users to modify both their editor and the runtime, but my "Lite" version only requires the RPG_RT file to be patched. It's a bit more limited as a result, but sacrifices had to be made to ensure broad compatibility.

With these two patches, I think it should bring a very large amount of functionality that has been missing from the official version since launch. I don't have any plans to adapt more patches, but may consider it if there's adequate demand.
It's fine to use patches for the OFFICIAL VERSION. However making a commercial game with the pirated version is a no-no. You can't go commercial without registering with DEGICA/KADOKAWA first. (It's all in the EULA and there's another one called PATCH EULA for patch-related)

@Magi great job :D
Oho.

If it were again made possible to store the database ID of a skill inside of a variable, then the 2k3 version of SEM would suddenly become viable again. :|a

But great work on this so far. Just these two open up a bunch of doors for people.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Is there a patch for that or is it DynRPG related?
Hey, is this implementation of the PicPointerPatch compatible with Move Picture? Because I just get an error message when I try to pointer with Move Picture:
Assertion failure (Internal Error Information: LGD_Picture.pas, line 526

Otherwise, really good work! PPP is without a doubt one of the most important patches for 2k3
Magi
Resident Terrapin
I'm going to need to investigate that further when I have time. I ran a compare of the binary sections affected by this patch in the official and unofficial version and they were identical, so there is something else that may be going on.

Update: There was math error that is causing move picture to look for images in a part of the memory where nothing exists. It was the source of the assertion issue. I've recently released a fixed version of that patch.
author=Magi
Update: There was math error that is causing move picture to look for images in a part of the memory where nothing exists. It was the source of the assertion issue. I've recently released a fixed version of that patch.

Great, thanks a lot. :)
author=Magi
Is there a patch for that or is it DynRPG related?

https://rpgmaker.net/users/Skie%20Fortress/locker/battle_store_itemskill.rar

It appears to be a DynRPG plugin. Made by PepsiOtaku at that. I forgot that little detail. Props to him all over again. This patch single handedly saved my entire battle system back in the day.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Oh yeah, then it would not be feasible to make a patch since it relies on dlls and other files bundled with DynRPG. Maybe Cherry still has plans to adapt it to RM2K3's official release, or better yet, some kind of more official integration.

If not, maybe I'll get around to seeing what I can do to it... Someday..
I wanted to tell you here too that I really appreciate the effort which you are putting into this. Because of that, it slightly hurts me to tell you that this will be obsolete with the next RM2k3 update, which now moved back into "near future" (from "infinite void of the unknown" where it was before) because I'm now again able to continue working on RM2k3 updates.

I started with a big new feature for the next release last year, and now I'm working on it again to complete it and release it as update... It includes PicPointerPatch and PicsInBattle, but in a native, user-friendly way, and with more extra features and goodies... And it will be backwards-compatible to PicPointerPatch! (Not to PicsInBattle, though.)

Stay tuned...
Magi
Resident Terrapin
I went through some growing pains trying to follow and understand how the PicPointer patch was created, but any official support for either of these features is infinitely better! Having to rely on variables witchcraft is more susceptible to human error.

And it will be backwards-compatible to PicPointerPatch!

author=Cherry
I started with a big new feature for the next release last year, and now I'm working on it again to complete it and release it as update... It includes PicPointerPatch and PicsInBattle, but in a native, user-friendly way, and with more extra features and goodies... And it will be backwards-compatible to PicPointerPatch! (Not to PicsInBattle, though.)

Stay tuned...
Wow, that's pretty wonderful news.

Will those two patches mentioned above be the only additions, or will you include additional updates (such as animated monsters, etc)? I can imagine some of the others are a bit trickier to implement natively.

Regardless, very exciting though. XD
Animated monsters would be an idea too but I didn't plan this right now at least.

However, about the picture stuff, here is a teaser :D http://recordit.co/uTr2j8YOHa
Hi Cherry,

If that truly becomes implemented, a battle system I withheld programming into a game I started almost a decade ago will become a lot easier to implement than I though! Thank you very much!
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Hi everyone! I've updated the download links to point to a file hosted in my locker space. This should take care of an expiring link problem and also provide a stable download location until RMN dies. Or the world ends.
Pages: 1