OIDPAT'S "ART" TOPIC

OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
author=Dragnfly
author=OldPat
Marty's supposed to look a bit cool and good looking (There's a reason why he's always sorrounded by chicks, after all. Well, ok, he was rich as well, but...). Think of him as a much more stupid, a much more silly and a much less badass version of Ryo Saeba from City Hunter and you get the picture.
I always saw him as one of those types of guys that women would be really attracted to... until they spent time with him. Basically, if they saw through his tricks (like Flo did) then they'd see him as an annoyance. They'd either stay for the money and looks or push him away, and the ones who pushed him away he'd just get attracted to. It's a vicious cycle.

Guy with the nasty skin - Freakin awesome. He seems like a real schemer too.

Christmas - I'm surprised that snow isn't melting with all the HOT in there.

Sketches - Your expressions and line work are good as always. Actually, this topic lets me see that you're getting way better. Also, man those lips:) I'm usually surrounded by anime art so lips are usually not a focus (or they don't have any at all) so sometimes I forget how nice they make a lady look when they're drawn properly. Most artists I know draw them like giant slugs sticking to the girl's mouth.

Thank you, Dragnfly!
It makes me happy to know that some improvements can be seen. I'm trying to reach a high level when it comes to drawing artworks, doing design for characters and such(and basically every other aspect of game development). It's still a veeery long road for me, I still lack so much, but for now I won't stop!

author=Dragnfly
Guy with the nasty skin - Freakin awesome. He seems like a real schemer too.

Oh, you'll see. 8D

author=Dragnfly
Christmas - I'm surprised that snow isn't melting with all the HOT in there.

Perhaps it actually IS melting! Will never know, since the artwork is not animated.
After finishing this drawing I wasn't all that satisfied. Something for me went horribly wrong while doing it somehow. But the more I look at it, the more I like it. Although I did very stupid mistakes with her anatomy.

author=Dragnfly
Sketches - Your expressions and line work are good as always. Actually, this topic lets me see that you're getting way better. Also, man those lips:) I'm usually surrounded by anime art so lips are usually not a focus (or they don't have any at all) so sometimes I forget how nice they make a lady look when they're drawn properly. Most artists I know draw them like giant slugs sticking to the girl's mouth.

I think every part of the body deserves attention, as it helps with expression a lot. Drawing lips is one of those things, they really boost a character expressivness for me.

I'm getting used to it, but when I decided to draw more precise lips for the first time I too felt it was really difficult. And the first lips I ever drawn were far worse than slugs! xD

But I'm happy that I learned, they really help. Especially in games like Karma Flow where I need the women to be somewhat sexy, elegant and "almost realistic" looking in order to help "boosting" the noir aspect of the game (sexy femme fatales are common in most old-style noir movies) and do a bit of contrast with the game's overly "dirty-and-evil" criminal atmosphere.
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
I used to be very good back when I was a teenager but then I got essential tremor (it makes my hands shake) and it gets worse with age. Now I can't even carry a full cup of coffee and since I haven't drawn seriously in 20 years I've lost all my artistic sense.

Lately, I've been using free 3D models, posing them, cutting pieces off of one and sticking them onto another until I have generally what I want. Then (if I have the money) I get an artist to redraw it.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
author=Dragnfly
I used to be very good back when I was a teenager but then I got essential tremor (it makes my hands shake) and it gets worse with age. Now I can't even carry a full cup of coffee and since I haven't drawn seriously in 20 years I've lost all my artistic sense.

Lately, I've been using free 3D models, posing them, cutting pieces off of one and sticking them onto another until I have generally what I want. Then (if I have the money) I get an artist to redraw it.

That's unfortunate. I'm really sorry to hear that, Dragnfly.
It's good to have feedback from a fellow artist, then. You do make games and create characters based on pieces from 3D models so I doubt your artistic sense is completely gone as you said.
Those are other ways to do art, after all.

Since I owe you a lot, just know that if you need someone to redraw your 3D models I can help. As you can see, I still have a really long way to go. Paid artists are most certainly waaaaaay better than me, but if you feel like I can be of some help don't hesitate to ask!

Dragnfly
Your art is totally good enough that people should be paying you when you do work for them.

EDIT: Rather, it's not a matter of "should pay" or "shouldn't pay" but a matter of how much. Nobody has any money for an art budget anymore but that doesn't mean all artists should be working for free.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
author=Dragnfly
Your art is totally good enough that people should be paying you when you do work for them.

EDIT: Rather, it's not a matter of "should pay" or "shouldn't pay" but a matter of how much. Nobody has any money for an art budget anymore but that doesn't mean all artists should be working for free.

Yeah, these days is difficult to sell art if you're not REALLY good. Personally, if I were to sell my artworks or do commissions, I wouldn't know how much I should charge for them. (I smell broken English here. ;/)
It's good to hear this from you, though. It means my drawings are almost kind of looking good now. Almost. XD
Dragnfly
Funny enough, the sentence you think may have broken English doesn't. It is tough to tell how much art is worth. And more importantly, how much people are willing to pay. One way to go about it is to look at the forums here and see what other artists are charging, and how much work they're getting. The euro is a big problem too. I'm Canadian, so I'd need to pay a lot extra just because of the euro.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
author=Dragnfly
Funny enough, the sentence you think may have broken English doesn't.

Oh, ok! xD
I felt that sentence was somehow wrong.

author=Dragnfly
The euro is a big problem too. I'm Canadian, so I'd need to pay a lot extra just because of the euro.

I'm Italian, so I know how big of a problem the euro is. *Sigh*

Speaking of artworks, I've come up with my main character Flo's main outfits for my next game:

Direct link: http://i68.tinypic.com/ivguh5.png

The one in the middle is the "assassin\on a mission" suit, the other one is for when she's comfortable at home (maybe the shorts are just "too short", I dunno).

I still have to come up with proper "I want to hang out and I'm not on a mission" kind of clothes, but I think I will end up using the design from one of my old artworks, this one (the one on the left, discard the ugly girl on the right^^'):

Direct link: http://i67.tinypic.com/mviuxd.jpg
Probably needs some tweakings.

What do you guys think about this outfits?
Ehh the casual athletic shorts aren't too short, that is the length they usually are.

OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
author=suzy_cheesedreams
Ehh the casual athletic shorts aren't too short, that is the length they usually are.

That's what I thought too! I mean, I looked at some references so I was sure about that... but a friend of mine thought they were too short and a way to "fanservice" my way in order to gain some... extra followers for my game? Something like that, I don't know how to put it in words. xD

I think her "at home" look is okay, but I wanted to hear some more opinions on her overall look, just in case. It's not a problem if people find my artworks and characters to be "fanservice" or something like that, just as long as the design/overall look of the characters looks good and is coherent with the game's world and the character itself. In that case it's more than okay for me.

Thank you, Suzy!
I agree with your friend that it looks like fanservice, haha. But those kinds of shorts generally are that short.
Dragnfly
I think fanservice is fine so long as it's used properly. Ok I'm a super hypocrite there. Anyway, the reason this fanservice works well is that we need to consider Flo's character first and foremost. I think that's fine. Track shorts and stuff really suits her "glass of brandy, cigarette and watching whatever's on TV" image. It's also a good look for leaning over an open fridge door, wondering what to eat, deciding it's all too much effort, then going back to the couch, only to go back to the fridge a few minutes later.

The mission suit is nice a standard. You didn't overdo it with the pouches so that's good.

The one with the LIFE shirt is a cool design. Minus the weaponry and I could picture her going grocery shopping in that.

The one on the right is classier so I couldn't picture her wearing that just to go out.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
Yeah, it depends on the game\movie\anime\whatever. Excessive fanservice in KF is something I want to avoid, they don't fit the game at all.

Discard the girl on the right, it was a VEEEERY early version of this other one:

Direct Link: http://i63.tinypic.com/bfm8uo.png

Yeah, all of that weaponry, in the "LIFE" outfit, won't be present. Those were added because...
... j-just because.
Dragnfly
...because she was visiting a friend in the USA over the holidays and they were going to a Walmart xmas sale, which is possibly her most life-threatening mission she's ever had.

I've always found that, even with anime that is very heavy on fan-service, I'll be attracted to the character before I see them stuffing their jugs in the camera. Just having a good design of a beautiful lady with good expressions is enough to pull me in. I don't necessarily mind when they stuff their jugs in the camera, but at best it's not necessary and at worst it takes away from their character.
The shorts look fine to me. I only really get miffed when the character is constantly wearing unreasonable clothes just to show off their body. Like, it can be fine if that's what the character is about or situationally, but you have to know when enough is enough.

In the case of Flo's shorts they're just shorts. Not unreasonable at all tbh so I wouldn't call it fanservice. Besides, like Dragnfly said, it suits her fine and its situationally appropriate so it wouldn't matter either way in my opinion.

(Also, yeah, fanservice isn't inherently bad either if you're not super tactless about it. Honestly I'd only say being tactless about it is bad is because there's so so so much tactless fanservice out there.)

I like the girl with the rad red hair! :D Her jacket is sweet~
Those are really good :D

That's a nice design for the the suit, it really looks efficient without the 'got to look stealthy' things, random green lights, super-tight or full of tiny pen-drive sized pockets x3

The fur/hairy bits of the jacket of the red head girl gives as trouble to create as I think it does with that many edges?

author=OldPat
author=Dragnfly
The euro is a big problem too. I'm Canadian, so I'd need to pay a lot extra just because of the euro.

Not really a problem with the euro, the problem is some currencies falling too much behind others, for example my BRL is floating around 3.5:1 to EUR or USD, so things get problematic even with the artist charging lightly.
The girl with red hair looks super awesome! :D and the jacket is very nice. You have some great artwork here. :3
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
Aaaand here it comes:

Direct link: http://i63.tinypic.com/j5inh0.png

I'm prepping the gameprofile page right about now! Stay tuned!

author=Dragnfly
...because she was visiting a friend in the USA over the holidays and they were going to a Walmart xmas sale, which is possibly her most life-threatening mission she's ever had.

H-how did you know? Did you steal my KF2 storyboard file?!
Ya hacker!

author=Dragnfly
I've always found that, even with anime that is very heavy on fan-service, I'll be attracted to the character before I see them stuffing their jugs in the camera. Just having a good design of a beautiful lady with good expressions is enough to pull me in. I don't necessarily mind when they stuff their jugs in the camera, but at best it's not necessary and at worst it takes away from their character.

Yeah it's the same way I felt about Quiet from MGSV. Nice character, a bit ruined because of some... stupid fanservice scenes. Again, fanservice is fine. But some of those scenes were simply downright... stupid. xD

author=Gourd_Clae
The shorts look fine to me. I only really get miffed when the character is constantly wearing unreasonable clothes just to show off their body. Like, it can be fine if that's what the character is about or situationally, but you have to know when enough is enough.

In the case of Flo's shorts they're just shorts. Not unreasonable at all tbh so I wouldn't call it fanservice. Besides, like Dragnfly said, it suits her fine and its situationally appropriate so it wouldn't matter either way in my opinion.

(Also, yeah, fanservice isn't inherently bad either if you're not super tactless about it. Honestly I'd only say being tactless about it is bad is because there's so so so much tactless fanservice out there.)

I like the girl with the rad red hair! :D Her jacket is sweet~

I'm glad to know that you like the redhead girl, Gourd_clae (and her jacket too)!
It's good to know that it doesn't look like tactless fanservice. It always depends on the kind of game, but I do dislike it as well to some degree.

author=Kevincalanor
Those are really good :D

That's a nice design for the the suit, it really looks efficient without the 'got to look stealthy' things, random green lights, super-tight or full of tiny pen-drive sized pockets x3

The fur/hairy bits of the jacket of the red head girl gives as trouble to create as I think it does with that many edges?

author=OldPat
author=Dragnfly

Not really a problem with the euro, the problem is some currencies falling too much behind others, for example my BRL is floating around 3.5:1 to EUR or USD, so things get problematic even with the artist charging lightly.

Thank you, Kevin!

Yeah, I didn't want to make it look "exaggeratly stealthy" (Flo isn't exactly Solid Snake or Sam Fisher), but at least functional.

The fur wasn't that big of a problem to render, actually (it could've been rendered waaaay better, yeah). But I'm not always that lucky, sometimes I can spend a loooot of time adjusting minor things like that without success. ^^'

Yeah, it's a mess with all the currencies out there and everything else. *Sigh*

author=BlackWolf1992
The girl with red hair looks super awesome! :D and the jacket is very nice. You have some great artwork here. :3

Thank you, BlackWolf!^^
Stay tuned for more artworks, I promise I will get way better!
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
A little artwork I made for my game's title screen:

It's very low in resolution and... relatively simple, without that many details. But I had to use it for a 320x240 resolution so I figured it would've been best to work with a low resolution and without adding too many details.
I like how her pose turned out to be.

The in-game version looks like this:

The city was added later. It's not a drawing I made.
I'm really bad at drawing backgrounds. I think it's time for me to think about practicing a bit with those.

Like, seriously. I'm REALLY bad at doing backgrounds. Really, REALLY bad. xD
I ADORE the shading of the crop top she's wearing. simple and good
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
author=Kylaila
I ADORE the shading of the crop top she's wearing. simple and good

Woah! Thank you, Kylaila. ^^
I thought the shading there turned out to be pretty bad in the end. I'm glad to know that's not the case.