GOOD PLACES TO START IF I WANT TO MAKE MY OWN RESOURCES

Pages: 1
Hello everyone. I have recently caved and bought RPG Maker MV and, while I haven't used it all that much just yet, I'm really enjoying it so far. I have begun working on a small game. While the game won't be big or anything, I'm not even shooting for it to be that long, I am primarily using to work on my writing skills, something I've been working at for almost a year now after doing on and off for year before. As I'm getting back into trying my hands at game development, its got me wondered whether I'm fine with being only a writer and using graphics made by others, or if I would be willing to put the extra effort into learning at least one other skill to help me with my game making. Either art or music... While I still don't known if I'm willing to go that far yet, do you guys have any places that you recommend I should check out to learn either making sprites or music.

If your curious, I'm using RPG Maker MV as my primary engine and have little to no prior knowledge of either spriting or music making.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I would recommend you learn how to draw as opposed to learning how to write music. The thing about visual art is if you do it badly, most people can be convinced that it's genius, and who are we to judge? Maybe it is genius. The thing about music is, if you do it badly, some people will like it, but most will want to stab their ears.

If you do music, you are going to need music processing software. Three good (free) ones are LMMS, Forte 6, and MuseScore. These are the three I prefer to use. They're samples aren't great, but they're better than bad. LMMS is probably the most versatile. MuseScore, I think, has the easiest interface.

If you can't draw, that's okay. You can still learn to sprite and do pixel art. Follow the advice I give you in dark red in the next paragraph. If you want to do art, you're going to need a few programs. You will need a vector program, for which I absolutely recommend Autodesk's Sketchbook over all others, because it's easiest to hand draw your assets and then convert them (and SketchBook will preserve perspective and pixel information for anything you shrink down, which is fantastic), Photoshop, but you probably won't want to pay for it, so you'll need Gimp (I hate it, but it really is indispensable because it has a number of filters and transformation tools that you simply can't do without if you don't have Photoshop), and you'll need a pixel-based art program (I recommend GraphicsGale).

To learn how to do art, there are a number of drawing tutorials that can be found around the internet, none of them I'd really recommend over the other. I have written an article on how to draw facechips that you can find here. For pixel art and spriting, I am completely self taught. Seriously, I've never even visited a website that teaches spriting and pixel art. My recommendation is that you start out by modifying existing sprites. Recolor some, change the hair, change the clothes. The more you work on changing existing sprites, the more you learn about how they go together. For technical things, such as methods on spacing sprites, you'll be able to find that information in our forums, or just ask us. It's a common question fielded here.

For learning music...there is just no easy way to do this one. You can wing your way through making sprites if you don't know art, but you can't cheat writing music. You have to, have to, have to, understand how to put the music together if you want it to sound right. If you haven't been learning from childhood, you're facing a significant learning curve. First, every good foundation of any education starts in understanding what you're learning. You never begin your education by inventing. You learn by traveling paths that have already be trodden. Teach yourself to listen to music. Don't just casually listen. Look for the instruments, count the beats, try to find sounds you've never noticed before in familiar songs. You'll also notice your hearing improving. And don't just listen. Try to duplicate it. Download MuseScore, and use that notation software to try and make versions and renditions of songs you've already heard. Start simple, like the Final Fantasy theme. You don't have to know an instrument to do this, but I strongly recommend it. A lot of people are self taught, but if you've never played an instrument before, I cannot recommend trying to self-teach. A hands on, experienced music teacher is going to be essential. Music is just such a complex subject, particularly writing it, that you're likely not going to find a topic online that will adequately cover it for a beginner, and they'll even come right out and say it. Really...learn guitar. It's the easiest instrument to learn. Get one of those "Learn to Play Guitar in 1 Week" books. Yes. There are songs that are good, and are so simple, a true noob can learn them in a week for guitar.

Now. With spriting, you can probably figure out how to do it competently in a few months. It may take you a year or two to learn it well.
Thanks for the info. Spriting does sound more up my alley then learning to write music. I attempted both ages ago, like a year or two ago, and, while I wasn't very good, I got much further with ;earning to sprite then learning music. And it was a bit more interesting. Thanks for the help. I'll probably start practicing my spriting, and icon making, as I work on my first MV game.
Being self-taught is impressive and all, but all it does with pixel art is slow down your learning, at least until you hit a certain skill level. I really suggest you read some tutorials if that's what you're gonna learn. There are a great many technicques that are really useful to know when drawing pixel art. I suggest starting with this: My favourite tutorial ever
Then find some tutorials on colors in pixel art, some tutorials textures, maybe some on anti-aliasing and dithering and definitely some on shading. The most important thing is practice, though, like with every skill.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
That's a good one.

Starting with MV stuff isn't that good idea. It has high reso and its very polished. It's like starting your running career by signing up for a marathon. It can be good for motivaton, tho
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Figure out what specific thing you want to do. (Ex: Pixel art tree)

Google that thing, plus the word "tutorial."

Tutorials get!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
SnowOwl
Being self-taught is impressive and all...

I wasn't saying it to be impressive. I was trying to say that I hadn't the foggiest idea of where to direct him for learning how to make sprites. (Thank you, by the way. That was a fantastic read. I've saved that site in my favorites.)
I know. I was just making a point that it's alot faster to learn from others when you're new to pixel art.
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll visit the site you linked when I get a chance.
yeah, use those tutorials and zoom in and study the best pixel art you can find to see how its put together.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Sooz
Figure out what specific thing you want to do. (Ex: Pixel art tree)

Google that thing, plus the word "tutorial."

Tutorials get!

^
5 Step Do-It-Yourself Program:

1. Edit existing sprites and/or make Frankensprites
2. Study proportions of existing sprites.
3. Make a style based on an existing style.
4. Gradually deviate from that style into something more unique.
5. Continually evolve your now-unique style.
To learn making custom music first you have to know what are you intending to achieve. If you want make old-school rpg music I recommend trying making midi. Its easy, its cheap and due time easy to master.

If you are going for better sound or quality, then the dollar signs come in. Better the quality, more money you spend. First purchasing a proper program and then quality vst's... You find yourself spending quite a lot.

Instead of purchasing huge amount of equipment and investing hours for developing the proper music making skills, I suggest of teaming up with music people around here in the forum. A summoner of sounds shows, there are quite many talented musicians and composers around here. You may even convince some people work for you for free (if you make a free project that is) Trust me, that is the fastest way, and to my mind, the best way.
Pages: 1