[RM2K3] "FILE CANNOT BE OPENED" A PROBLEM FOR ME OR THE DEV?

Pages: 1
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
Here's what looks to be an extremely common problem with non-English games on an English computer but it's a bit different than the usual case.

-I'm trying to play a game.
-I didn't make this game.
-I'm on Windows 10, English, and use letters that have diacritic marks almost daily.
-I've played RM games that have filenames that use diacritic marks (as well as Japanese and Russian).
-The RTP is installed and working. Other 2k3 games work.

It crashes at a certain point due to not being able to locate a certain resource. The filename in the error message is partially garbled. This is normally a common error to do with language support and locale, or the zip/rar/7z program not preserving the filename on extraction, causing it to come out garbled and thus different than what RM is looking for. But in my case my computer has full support for the diacritic letters.

-Checking the Chipset folder I see that the filename is perfectly fine, in it's non-garbled state. Filenames containing à, for example, appear intract as they should.

And BOOM I'm confused. Since the filename seems correct in Windows I'm unsure if I can do anything to fix it on my end. Any help? I'm already far behind schedule with a promise on this thing and if the people here can solve it without me bugging the dev then that'd be awesome.
That -is- a quandary. Which version of the engine are you using - legal or non-legal? It might be that there's an issue with the engine you're using vs the one the game was made in, or at least the error message. Perhaps see if you can't contact the dev and ask them for a version of that file (maybe something happened to it during download) by itself and see if replacing it works?
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

It might be because something wasn't translated, and you don't have the correct font to support Japanese characters?
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
author=kory_toombs
It might be because something wasn't translated, and you don't have the correct font to support Japanese characters?
How did we get onto Japanese?
author=Liberty
That -is- a quandary. Which version of the engine are you using - legal or non-legal? It might be that there's an issue with the engine you're using vs the one the game was made in, or at least the error message. Perhaps see if you can't contact the dev and ask them for a version of that file (maybe something happened to it during download) by itself and see if replacing it works?

I'm unsure if it was made in the legal version or not. My RTP is less than a year old so at least the RTP is likely from the legal source.

EDIT that's not really an edit because I forgot to hit Submit when I wrote this hours ago:
Good news. The dev fixed it and sent me a new copy. He apparently had to rename some files. Consider this one solved. And to any future people with this EXACT SAME problem who find this topic:
1) See if you can deduce what the invalid file(s) would be called after translation (only if the dev is actually attempting translation).
2) MAKE A COPY OF THEM and rename the original with the translated name, observing caps. In this example "città" became "city".
3) If that doesn't work then you need to talk to the dev because he needs to change things in his project.

Again, this will only help for THIS EXACT SAME problem. If your file name is garbled in the folder then your problem is different and there's a bazillion topics discussing that one.
Pages: 1