[POLL] HOW ABOUT A CLASSIC GAME MAKING EVENT?

Poll

Would you like to have this event, if it is ok'd? - Results

Yes
81%
No, thank you
18%

Pages: first 12 next last
Hi, I was thinking about how I could help out RMN. I was thinking of coming up with an event called Classic Gam Mak where everyone can make a NES, or SNES styled RPG in any RPG Maker. For this I was thinking people could work alone, or in a team. Any rips, or graphics would be allowed. As along as the graphics are like the NES, or SNES. However here is the catch, they cannot make a fan game. The ideas have to be their own. Yes, they'll get badges, and maker score. I was thinking about doing this event whenever a time slot can be found. I see event this as something I could do to help RMN. It is the least I could do.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I'd like it... but I haven't got RM2k or RM2k3...
We have done something like that - last year we had a 2k AND a 2k3 only ones.
Somme people don't actually have either engine and would want to take part, which means they'd be left out, so I don't think it'd be a good idea again. At least not so soon, anyway.
this could be a great idea! :D
but i think you better limit the theme instead of the game engine so everyone can took part.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, instead of limiting what engine you can use, what about making the theme "Classic RPG?" So having an oldschool feel to your game got you extra points or something? :D
I'd be in for a "Classic-themed" event like Uni said. I need some small RTP project to keep me busy.

Plus I havent used 2k/3 nearly enough.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If there was an event limited to the older RPG Maker engines, I could possibly do something in either TsuK or TsuK3. I'm absolutely not comfortable with using XP, though.

If there was an event that has a theme/restriction of "make a game that emulates classic games", that would be a lot more workible!
Okay, I'll change it so that any maker could be used. :)
EDIT: First post revised.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Man, hope I have a computer by then. It'd be funny to do a Megaman 9 parody in my Take Down series. Though that'd probably disqualify me.
Sounds like a very good idea if we can use any engine or build a custom engine.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Since i know i'm the only one who will ask this, i'll whisper. Does it have to be an RPG? Can it be a NES game that's not an rpg? oh what am i saying xC
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
If the retro style is all that matters, can't we just convert VX ACE graphics? (1 "pixel" = 4x4)
author=Blobofgoo
If the retro style is all that matters, can't we just convert VX ACE graphics? (1 "pixel" = 4x4)

Of course you can convert VX Ace graphics. :)
Okay, sounds a lot better. How about we hold this some time in the new year (we don't have time atm, sadly, since events have been pre-planned) - we have one event planned already for then but nothing else next year planned so it should be fine.
author=Liberty
Okay, sounds a lot better. How about we hold this some time in the new year (we don't have time atm, sadly, since events have been pre-planned) - we have one event planned already for then but nothing else next year planned so it should be fine.

Thank you Libby!
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Or! Or what about a nes game with rpg elements but not necessarily a full fledged rpg? Would that be allowed? :O
author=Mirak
Or! Or what about a nes game with rpg elements but not necessarily a full fledged rpg? Would that be allowed? :O

Yes! You can even make a game like Zelda, if you wanted too.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
But I want to do a fangame (a Dig Dug rpg). Also there are these rips of Metal Max I want to use on something.
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
"Classic" is a pretty big umbrella, and is more or less the bread and butter of the site. Classic with a twist (use only the NES color palette, or no dialog, or heck I dunno) is something I would emerge from my cave to get behind, though!

And tangential: A Dig Dug 2 fan-game where you have to sink an RPG overworld into the ocean while parties of pesky heroes try to get in your way would be a glorious thing, indeed.
What kind of contest duration are you thinking? 1 week or 1 month?
Pages: first 12 next last