WHY DO YOU MAKE RM GAMES?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't care to make my own music, or graphics, so, having pre-made resources of those types definitely helps even if I tend to end up using music from commercially made games anyway. The same could be said of Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures, but, I'm pretty sure that engine is locked into using D&D 2nd Edition rules.
author=Porkate42
RPG Maker is like building custom Legos.
It's easy to learn but tough to master.
And the people who are really good at making either of those things you question why they're not using their talent for higher needs.

I don't know if that's a fair comparison. There's really only one type of legos. RPG maker is a game engine, and there's a vast array of more advanced game engines to be had. I'd say a closer comparison would be a talented artist still using crayola crayons when they could be using pencils. Maybe they just like crayons, but that's not the point.

Either way, I'm not questioning why people are using RPG maker in the sense of "Oh wow you still use rpg maker how lame." No. I'm questioning because I'm curious. I know people have good reasons for using RPG maker, and I want to know what they are. It has nothing to do with me thinking people should use their talents for "higher needs."
I programmed as a child. Coded online as a young adult. I always loved RPG's, and this platform was among my favorites. I've always wanted to make RPG's, and this is the most straightforward way to do it. I always wanted to develop games, so I can see myself expanding beyond it at some point, but probably not until I master it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
the database is very useful for my needs, and rgss3 is malleable enough that i can make it do what i want. it lets me balance having a full-time job and also pursuing a hobby of challenging people's expectations within the medium
Because its probably the only set of programs my mind can figure out lol. It's the programs that told me what I wanted to do in life, and that was become a game designer. Game design, has been my planned career since I was very young around 8 or 9. It's something I've always wanted to do, and Rpg maker helped me do that. And is keeping my passion going forward, yeah I know theirs unity and others but until I feel ready to tackle them I will always use RPG Maker.
I use it mainly because it was the first one I saw. Granted at the time I really sucked at making games (still suck at it) but now I use it because it is easy and fast. Now my only problems are hard drive space and trying to stay motivated with a project.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I genuinely think it's fun. It's as fun as Unity or GameMaker or UnReal. They all have their own charm.
addiction
Game make is a hideous bitch goddess and it hurts so good.
author=Liberty
addictionGame make is a hideous bitch goddess and it hurts so good.

It is indeed although I find headaches not to be so good. Haha.
Simple answer for me. It's fun, I want to, and I enjoy it.
1. Because I like 2D RPGs.
2. RPG Maker is very user-friendly for noobs like me who don't know how to code.
If you're a non-programmer, RPGMaker (or programs like it) are the easiest "canvas" to execute full control over your art, your project's vision. It's simple, intuitive, and still (IMO) quite underrated. Plus, most people don't have the patience or desire to understand the technical aspects...they just want to create their game.

RPGMaker does have its limitations (especially 2000-2003 and below), but there's also a certain charm that comes from creating a compelling experience within those confines. The wider your scope gets, the harder it becomes to maintain polish and quality-control.

Plus, there's the obvious nostalgia factor. XD Rm2k3 is the simplest way to create SNES-looking aesthetics without much work.
I use RPGmaker because if I wanna just "make a game" for the sake of making a game and not for professional reasons, I wanna focus on the parts that really speak to me. The story, characters and combat system.

I don't want to have to do a ton of back-end programming to make all of that work. I just want to MAKE things and let the creative juices flow. RPGmaker is robust enough (especially with scripts/plugins) that making good game systems is more about the straight up design skills rather than what you can code (although knowing how to code does help a lot).

And since RPGs are my genre of choice anyway, RPGmaker is a perfect fit.

I want to tell a story, and I want to craft meaningful challenges and puzzles. RPGmaker lets me do that with the least amount of hassle.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
For artistic/creative release mostly
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
I have a 2-day crash course in Quick Basic from around 1995. Programming really, really hurts. It hurts my brain. It makes my face twist into a spiral before exploding into gore. I see code and I react similarly to how somebody does the first time a metroid latches onto their head.

Also, RPG Maker is better for puzzle-adventure games than any of the adventure game makers. Go figure.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Sated
author=StarSkipp
Cause I'm in too deep...
... and I'm trying to keep up above in my head, instead of going under!

Since this is only a hobby for me, it would be an inefficient use of my time to use anything other than RPGMaker. That's why.

This is a good way to put it. I have no real aspirations beyond just a hobby
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
I'd like it to be more than a hobby, and it was more than a hobby for a long time. But to make my magnum opus as I'd want it would cost a fortune, and that amount increases every year. So unless I win the lottery or something, it's a hobby:)
Pages: first prev 123 next last