WHY DO YOU MAKE RM GAMES?

Pages: first prev 123 last
RPG Maker is a heck of a lot easier to use than other game development software.

For someone like me, with no skill or patience for programming, it's nice to mess around with.

Also, yeah, it's pretty nostalgic. I used to like old-school RPGs but kind of grew out of them. Now I'm getting back into them, specifically into Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
I think i make rpgs to make others feel how i felt when i played my favorite games. I use rpg maker because it's easy to learn but hard to master. when i was 12 years old, i didn't understand programming and i think rpg maker has a smooth learning curve.
For the fame, the money and the hoes.

Seriously though, mainly because RPGmaker was my introduction into game making and because of the assests that come with it (RTP, especially that of XP) since I suck at the arts part.
Because if I'm making a game as a hobby and not professionally (and I wanna make a JRPG), then I wanna do the actual fun parts of the game making. The story, the combat design, the dungeon design, etc. Not have to spend ages coding the actual engine I'll be making something in.

So, RPGmaker is a perfect fit for most of my hobbyist needs.

EDIT: Not to mention plentiful resources, RTP/DLC and stuff. I'm good at making stories and combat engines. I'm horrendous at making art, outside of some minor and simple pixel editing.
author=Lihinel

Oh good, I am not the only one then.

I think we can all agree that RPG Maker makes creating our games a lot easier than trying to code your own engine. It is simple yet complex and it pays off once you learn to master this amazing engine.
RPG Maker is something I used for it's simplicity and how easy it was to learn, my scripting language knowledge is nil but I do have experience making C++ programs using a CLI in a Linux VM. RPG Maker provided exactly what I wanted for my first game aside from a couple things that would need to be either programmed in or I had to scrap entirely.

It's good for what I need it for and just using it and playing around with it is fun.
RPG Maker is something I used for it's simplicity and how easy it was to learn, my scripting language knowledge is nil but I do have experience making C++ programs using a CLI in a Linux VM. RPG Maker provided exactly what I wanted for my first game aside from a couple things that would need to be either programmed in or I had to scrap entirely.

It's good for what I need it for and just using it and playing around with it is fun.
Performance-wise, it's the only engine my laptop will allow me to use without crashing. I don't have a very good setup, so my options have always been limited, but with RPG Maker, I can actually create something I can be proud of. I'm also deathly afraid of coding languages, but not unfamiliar with them. I like knowing I can script a game without prior knowledge of the language. If I were to move on up to Unreal or CryEngine, I'm pretty sure I would only ever be a level designer. But In RPG Maker, I can play all roles in development. I suppose, to sum up, it's the simplicity that allows me to make something great.

I also love to write short stories, and many of the stories I've written have won awards and praise. I've always wanted to see one of my stories become a game, and now I can do that.
Like many others, the simplicity of it appealed to me. Got involved with making mods for games, and over time I started thinking about developing an actual game. Then I Played To The Moon and was blown away. Wow, one of the best games I ever played, and the engine looked like something relatively simple. I checked it out.

RPGmaker is an amazing introductory tool for would be devs. Especially self-taught ones.
I'm using it because I've started my current project Numina with RMXP several years ago. I've done smaller projects in Unity & Unreal since then and I'd definitely switch to another engine or the MV with Javascript for the next project. But I just feel like porting an existing project to a new engine would be too much of an overkill.
author=tumblingapart_dev
RPGmaker is an amazing introductory tool for would be devs. Especially self-taught ones.

It is indeed!

Before having this program I had no prior experience in game making. When I first brought RPG Maker, it was nice to test it around, to get joy and trust for own game making skills.

But as with any game making program, how easy or not, you need to use more time if you want to make something more than just a hobby project. RPG Maker is no exception.

author=Shade_Hunter
Before having this program I had no prior experience in game making. When I first brought RPG Maker, it was nice to test it around, to get joy and trust for own game making skills.

Hundred times this.
Playing around with it was a great way to familiarize myself with the software and see where I stand with my own skills.
author=Lihinel

this.-
Fairly versatile engine to make certain kind of games, lot of cheap/free quality resources...(esp. music and sfx... music most important) way too familiar with it to just abandon it xP
Pages: first prev 123 last