BACKING UP YOUR PROJECT

Pages: 1
I didn't really know where to put this. It isn't like I'm asking for help, it's just for people who haven't had it happen before.

Back up your game from time to time (as often as you feel is necessary). I'm currently backing up my current project on to a portable drive.

I've never had my computer fold when using Rpg Maker so , of course, I had no idea what the effects could be. Here's what happened with me.

Computer crashes while using VX Ace.
Open project, which is fine, and then I open map I was working on, Computer crashes again.
I try to open the project on VX Ace, and this time the project won't even open (I get an error message about an Unexpected Format or something like that).

I managed to retrieve most of it from a backup.

Yeah, though most people first have to experience a loss before they learn it. I lost a 2-year RPG project too once. Started to do backups after that. Happened again, I had a backup, but it was on the same machine and machine completely didn't work anymore. So I started doing frequent backups on the machine and a little bit less frequently I moved all backups on an external HDD. Now I have my external HDD crashing, so I switched to using USB sticks for backups, as they are more stable.

Now my only problem is that I have so many backups that it takes a while to find out where the latest one is. Haha.
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
I have a Passport drive (basically a USB hard drive, 50 bucks on Amazon) that I back up to nightly through Windows backup, and I also do incremental backups to it with Windows 10's file history thing. I also back up projects to my Google drive once a week, just out of sheer paranoia.

I almost lost a game project to a failed hard drive a few years ago, so, now I'm extra cautious. It seems like a pretty common story that gets people to start making regular backups, so, if it hasn't happened to you yet - start now, because it will.
I actually run an SVN server locally and just commit to it (Tortoise SVN for the client is very good to make this easy). Even for RPG Maker projects. Then you not only have backups, but you can revert if you make too much of a huge mess.
If the SVN server runs locally, it's not a very safe backup, though! It better to save on different storage devices.
By locally I meant on your local network.
Has anyone moved their working folder to a dropbox folder on their computer - so it gets backed up on the cloud?
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

If this error happens delete the common events file and import a blank one.

But, yeah I back up in Media Fire and my locker sometimes too.
Pages: 1