RADIANT QUESTIONS: IS THERE A RIGHT WAY TO DO THEM?

Pages: 1
I'd like to ask you all about your thoughts on radiant quests.

In case you don't already know, a radiant quest is a randomly generated quest with simple instructions that can be given over and over again such as "Go to X and kill Y this many times" or "Go get me Z amount of X." The best example is Fallout 4's "Minutemen quests" which repeatedly send you to different settlements on the world map to either kill raiders, mutants, and any other randomly selected enemy.

From what I've seen, Radiant quests aren't particularly liked in the gaming community. There is of course a lack of immersion when you're practically doing the same quest over and over again, just with slightly different circumstances each time.

However, from a game developer's standpoint, they are easy to create and provide the player with endless opportunity to receive money and experience.

I'd like to use radiant quests in a future game, but I want to know if there is a way to make them so that they are fun and interesting to play. I don't want to just make a quest-giver who hands out the same "My daughter/brother/wife was kidnapped, go to point X and save her" quest over and over again. I'd like to consider a way to make the quests more tolerable than that.

What do you guys think? Is there a way to do radiant quests so that they're more exciting? Do you have an idea that you always wished would appear in a quest system in a game?

All feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I can't give a full explanation right now, but I dont feel it's a good idea
While I can obviously just ignore that aspect in a AAA game like FO4, it really killed immersion for me. It's not a bad idea by any means, it just killed it for me for that game. I didnt feel like it fit. I think it can be done right though.
It needs more variety and world sense to be engaging.

For example, I didn't like that a group of mutants/raiders was terrorizing a settlement that was like half the entire map away. It just didn't make sense. I'd rather have unexplained waves of X attack X place instead of trying to make sense of why X group from X place would attack X settlement, if that makes sense.
I don't think they're a bad thing, per se - it can be fun to just destroy forts of enemies or sneak around and kill a bunch of raiders or just test out new weapons and armour on a bunch of 'em - just don't make them the main meat of your game.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, I think they work fine with limitations. For example, in an MMORPG or a mobile game, you might have quests like this, but the player can only do one per day. In a more traditional single-player game for PC or console, you might make the quests' reward be a resource that is only used for upgrading the blacksmith, so once the blacksmith is fully upgraded, the player is done with them. Or you might make the randomized quests cost a resource to perform, so players need to continue doing other activities to get enough resources.

They are definitely filler content, which isn't the best, but is often unavoidable, especially if you want to make a game of unlimited length. Random battles are also filler content. Caves leading from one location to another are filler content. Ingredients for crafting systems are filler content. Filler content gets a bad rap as a way to artificially make a game take longer, but a lot of games need a certain amount of filler content for pacing purposes; it lends more importance to the parts of the game that aren't filler, and lets the player build up their readiness. It lets you create an arc with a finale instead of just a single event. Randomizing the filler content is obviously inferior to hand-crafting every bit of it, but the only way to keep hand-crafting content for as long as the player wants to keep doing the same thing is to run a tabletop game.

By the way, the term "radiant quests" is specific to Fallout 4, but this idea is far older than Fallout 4. The more generic term is "procedurally generated quests" or simply "randomized quests."

I found a thread on Reddit about Fallout 4's randomized quests, and I'll also post the top comment from that thread here, because I think it's important to keep in mind:
author=Favourite
The worst thing about radiant quests it that if you're not familiar with the concept (as I wasn't when I first played), you don't realise what's happening at first, and feel cheated once you do figure it out.

Example: The first time you happen upon the BoS, early in the game, you can be handed a few radiant quests. I didn't realise these were just infinitely repeatable until I'd gone through them three times. I thought I'd at least be building up affinity with the faction, or trust with the stranger-wary quest giver, or eventually happen on something unexpected, but no, nothing changes. You just go through the same dialogue over and over until you realise the game has just deceived you into looting the same places over and over to derail you from completing actual content.

This is a completely solvable problem, though, if you're simply transparent with the player in explaining how your game works. Bethesda often doesn't want to explain anything about how to play their games, because they're convinced that "it breaks immersion" to explain that the world is made up of gameplay systems, but I'm pretty sure turning off the game out of frustration at those systems breaks immersion even more.
That quote you used actually gave the answer to how to handle them a bit better - by allowing the repeatable quests to give you a bonus towards friendship/reputation for that town/group, they could have been made more useful. Still a bit annoying, sure, but they would have had a purpose beyond 'go get this for no reason'.

It would have been an easy fix, even, to allow it to add to a hidden (or not-so-hidden) reputation score. That way they would have had some bearing on the rest of the game at least.
I think my main problem with such quests is that they are more like an endless grind instead of something I can complete and check off on the list for completion. In the end you want to feel like you're actually accomplishing something.

Perhaps they would be fine as long as they can provide some sort of bigger end goal(like reputation mentioned above increasing to a certain threshold), but still be open to keep doing them for their usual, less remarkable rewards.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@Liberty: I mean, they gave XP and gold and loot. As much as any story quest. The only thing they didn't give is a sense of satisfaction and completion upon finishing them.

This is the big problem, really. It's not the lack of story, because these kinds of quests feel unsatisfying even in games with no story. It's the lack of completion, like Zephyr says. When you beat them you haven't accomplished a goal. If they're done particularly poorly, then you haven't even made progress towards a goal. The same goal is still there when you finish, and it's still 0% completed because the mission has started over with new objectives. I agree with everything Zephyr said.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I feel Wing Commander - Pirvateer did procedurally generated quests right. The game's a space-trading game, so, they will always complete the general game-goal of "make money". Hell, there are times I look at the mission computer to figure out what my next cargo run will look like! For instance, seeing multiple 10K+ credit missions that essentially say "send this cargo to New Detroit" is usually an indication to me that it's more than worth my time to do those missions! Though, probably, the best feature of Privateer's quests is that when players finish the job, there is no need to backtrack to the quest-giver.
I would conjecture that the solution would be a balance of intricacy in the formula and variety in the quest types. Maybe even a variance in the source. For instance say you can go to a Pub to get work, but it randomizes what people are offering what quests per day/completed quest/rest etc. Put more depth into the story, and contrast these quests with more intimately created ones, both within the same game. So you have the pub option when you want more money for that equipment, or a level up, or to develop a skill tree, but you can move forward with story quests when you want to also.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Sated
They're fine as long as you don't force them on the player. The problem with the Minutemen quests - and why they're a big joke that any smart person uses mods to fix - is that they're basically forced upon you if you go within a mile radius of the quest giver. They're also timed sometimes, which is a big no-no in an open-world game.

Remember that radiant quests don't have to be repeatable. Skyrim is really good at doing this, using the radiant system to make the same quest somewhat different in each play through. This can even be used in main quests!

Yeah, FO4 didn't pioneer the actual radiant quest system bethesda uses, Skyrim did. Most inns and such would have a radiant quest that you could do for some extra money that pertained to a nearby area, but iirc you couldn't do it forever and ever? Maybe some repeated, but not all. It was definitely "lesser" content, but in a game with so many little hidey-holes and interesting areas to jump into, it gives the dev a way to point the player in directions they didn't have the time to make full, proper questlines for (since they focused on building the big world instead of questlines).

I haven't played FO4 because everything I've heard about it sounds annoying, and FO games have the worst interfaces in modern gaming, but it sounds like they're not handled as nicely.

edit: i don't really have any input for op because i think quest systems are stupid and promote nothing but lazy design for the dev ;V
I sometimes think that planning and developing a system like radiant questions takes more time and creativity than just typing out 100+ different things of text. And in games, text doesn't take up that much space, so it's not like a system that creates generic text will save memory, it'll just mean you spent your time writing code words instead of writing dialogue words.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
To be honest, there is a sense that you're writing a form letter when it comes to procedurally generated quest descriptions. Like, here's a small ditty from Myriad Cypher:

num = rand(2)
case num
  when 0
    @line[1] = boss + " seeks proficient pilots for"
    @line[2] = "flight restriction enforcement against " + enemy
    @line[3] = "at " + target + ". Pays "+ payout + " credits."
  when 1
    @line[1] = "Ace pilots needed to clear shipping lanes of"
    @line[2] = enemy + ". Proceed to " + target + "."
    @line[3] = boss + " will reward " + payout + " credits."
  when 2
    @line[1] = boss + " needs " + enemy
    @line[2] = "eliminated from " + target + ". Paying"
    @line[3] = payout +" credits for thorough work."
  end
The problem I always seem to run into with these types of quests is that the algorithm for them always seems to be painfully obvious after doing just four or five of them. They seem to immediately feel like filler, and you can only arrange the bricks that put them together in so many ways before players see the man behind the curtain.

What you can try doing is make them more complex and more rewarding as the player completes more of them. Separate them into tiers, and give a very good incentive to do continue doing them that they can't get through any other method.
LockeZ
I think it's perfectly fine if the algorithm for generating them is simple and obvious, as long as the goal of the randomization is just to create enough differences to help the gameplay remain fun. If your goal with the randomness is to try to trick the player into thinking it's not random, to create some kind of immersive world full of endless scenarios, you are going to fail miserably, and the players are going to be able to tell that that was your goal, and they're going to be able to tell that you failed miserably.

Don't try to make it appear to be more than it is. If it helps, maybe try to think of each quest like a match vs AI in a strategy or sports game. Same game each time, but slightly different variables. You're not building a story here. You're just providing something to do that's not exactly the same as what the player already did.
Alright, these are some good answers. I thank you all for your thoughts.

I've heard some good ideas, such as the reputation system. That's really neat: each randomized quest adds a little bit to a connection between the player and the NPC/Settlement. That way, doing small random quests build up meaning over time.

Someone mentioned that Fallout 4 Radiant quests were designed to encourage the player to explore areas that weren't apart of the original storyline, but they were also too much of the bulk of quests in the game. I can understand that: though there was a money reward and sometimes a few items to be gained, you were forced to keep going back and doing the same thing over and over again with no real progression, it just felt like a choir after awhile.

But many of you said that quests could be done in such a way that they aren't so simplistic and repetitive. Such as using different NPCs to give the quests, having more variety in challenges, quests adding up to something bigger, stuff like that.

Thanks, guys! Your thoughts really helped.
Pages: 1