I'M GLAD MY GAMEPAGE SUBMISSION GOT DENIED!

Pages: first 123 next last
A while ago I submitted a gamepage that got denied. Sounds familiar?

At first it feels frustrating. And you want to contact the submission approving person...
To do what?
1) Send a rage message? Definitely not a good reaction: not constructive!
2) Explain why the submission doesn't meet the requirements? The approving person's reply is already clear about it.
Anyways, the approving person's identity is unknown. Which turns out to be at good thing: it prevents you from doing the 2 above waste of time actions. At this point, your time is better invested at improving your game and its presentation according to the submission reply.

I think the way RMN handles submissions and the anonymity of the approving person make it a very good incentive system.

We must raise to the submission standards and not lower the standards!
Yeah ... as long as they tell you what you need to fix about your submission.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The submitting person is anonymous? I thought it was Liberty, before that it was Deckiller. Only my second game, Giadon Saga, was denied the first time due to the screen shots. Since then I have had a pretty good track record for getting things approved. Just follow the guidelines and you can be well on your way to getting 100 game pages!

RMN veterans might know who it is but I prefer to not learn this information. I think the system works better with an anonymous submission approving person or team.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Out of all the topics I expected to see, this was not one of them. Good on you! It's great to see this kind of attitude!

Though I'm sure you'll find out the identity of the queue keeper sooner or later. They have been quite open about it (even having their own topic about queue horror stories). For what it's worth, knowing who they are won't make a difference; You'll be judged with the same standards as everyone else.
Okay, good for you.

Don't really see the point of this thread though as there isn't really any room for discussion.
SunflowerGames

author=Red_Nova
Though I'm sure you'll find out the identity of the queue keeper sooner or later. They have been quite open about it (even having their own topic about queue horror stories). For what it's worth, knowing who they are won't make a difference; You'll be judged with the same standards as everyone else.

Yes, this is not even close to secret knowledge. I think this is so people can PM them to ask for more details. If you piss them off they can just ban you. Even if it was secret I think everyone knows who owns the website. I think RMN is pretty transparent.
These are some observations I made that led me to think it is a good system. Of course, I don't claim full expertise on the matter. There might be weakness I'm not aware of and you're free to discuss them.

When something doesn't work we expect people to complain about it. What about when something does work?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I think I've had one review denied, and... that might be it? I dunno. It was a looooong time ago! Though, speaking of, I'm absolutely more worried about reviews being denied than gamepages. The big questions I ask myself with reviews are "Does my reasoning make sense" and, in the case of rated reviews, "Does this score actually reflect my stated opinions about this game?"
I will admit that having been known is a double-edged sword. I don't make a secret that I run the queue, which is great in some ways but a bit awkward in others.

It's great because I can openly talk about the dos and don'ts of the queue to people who need to know. If there's someone who repeatedly makes the same mistake in their gamepage but are actively trying to fix it I tend to PM them and give them more tips about how to get it through. I like being able to reach out to them and say "Hey, you just need to fix this sentence a little and it'll be fine to go" or "The game sounds great but the images you keep putting up need to be from actual gameplay of the game, not just character art, okay?"

Another is that it makes it easy for people to reach me if they have questions about what is and isn't allowed, or if they're worried about a game in question that got through (say the creator lied about the game in some way or it breaks site rules). This way people can easily know who to contact about that.

There are some bad sides, sure:
It can be a little awkward telling friends or people that you know well that their game page needs a little more work in one way or another. You get used to doing it, though, especially as everyone is equal in that way. If you bend the rules for a friend you gotta bend em for everyone else, but that doesn't take away the awkwardness of pulling a friend up like that.

You mentioned rage outs directed at you - I've been on the end of that a few times. It just can't be helped - games are creative endeavours and there are some things that we ask for when it comes to standards or just don't allow on the site. People connect with their creations on an emotional level - some more than others - so they feel like it's an attack on them to be denied. It becomes another case of just having to deal with it when they want to complain. If they go overboard then you call in the mods but otherwise you just tell yourself that you're being fair and it's on them that they act that way, not you.

Of course, it can be a bit of a downer when people you know and like on a forum get antagonistic over being told to fix something or that you can't let their game on the site for certain reasons, but I'd personally rather be able to help people get their games on-site and deal with the fallout of people who rage than not be able to give the help that is needed when needed and not deal with it.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
Of course, it can be a bit of a downer when people you know and like on a forum get antagonistic over being told to fix something or that you can't let their game on the site for certain reasons, but I'd personally rather be able to help people get their games on-site and deal with the fallout of people who rage than not be able to give the help that is needed when needed and not deal with it.

Creators in every medium really need to cultivate the skill of "Being super butthurt in private and not in public." There's no problem in getting pissy and whiny about being denied- we all do it- but doing it where the denier and/or general public can see is just a terrible plan. That's what RL friends/private chat is for. Much better for one's reputation and future relationships.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
By the end of my rope I saw so many submissions beneath the site's standards each week that I just started copying and pasting denial responses I had in a document.

e: Before anybody asks what it must have felt like to be so corporate I will tell you: It felt like dying
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Magi
Before anybody asks what it must have felt like to be so corporate I will tell you: It felt like dying

So this.

If you're denied, use it as a foundation to improve. The reasons you're given why you aren't good enough should become your priorities. I'm glad that you're taking this to heart instead of hardening yourself away from the world, because that way no progress lies.
@ Marrend
Reviews also raise questions to myself when I submit them. I never followed the scoring categories story/music/graphics/game play because I lack the artistic expertise to write useful review of music and graphics. I often write a single sentence for each of them. I make a decent story review. And I focus my writing on game play, game mechanics, puzzle, level design, strategy and system analysis. I also do my best to balance between the two goals of a review: tell potential players what to expect from the game and help the developer improve the game.

@ Liberty
It's good that you're open about it. I like your attitude to treat everyone with the same standards. And you're right: the submission system doesn't require anonymity; what it requires is equality.

By the way I had a strong evidence it was you! ;-)
My denied gamepage had 10 profile views while I expected 1 view. Then I had that "Ha! Ha!" puzzle solving moment when I saw it was included in a playlist you made. This means that users can view denied gamepages if they are part of a playlist.

@ Sooz
I totally agree with you!
That, or I checked it 10 times. XD
SunflowerGames

No, users cannot check games not accepted, even if they are on playlists. I think I tried doing it once with one of my games and got anti wall climbing paint. Those views are Liberty looking at you page.

Reviews and articles are much easier to get denied. Sol is very particular about some things. But you learn what he likes and try to write your reviews to that.

Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=kory_toombs
Reviews and articles are much easier to get denied. Sol is very particular about some things. But you learn what he likes and try to write your reviews to that.

Which is why I was super happy when my only review was accepted, I was expecting a big DENIED: NOT GOOD ENOUGH

But yes, Libby spends ages in the queue, and lots of silly situations occur, she even started a thread about that!
author=kory_toombs
No, users cannot check games not accepted, even if they are on playlists. I think I tried doing it once with one of my games and got anti wall climbing paint. Those views are Liberty looking at you page.

It also counts yourself looking at your page, I believe.
Unlike gamepages, reviews were not always a good thing for me:

About 3 years ago I got a review denied. The reply was something like "Denied : read the submission rules". The lack of denial reasons made me lose confidence in my review skills. I then gave feedback only via gamepage. Recently, CashmereCat, who had reviewed my game, ask me to review one of his. I did and the review got accepted directly. By luck or CashmereCat's excellent planning, my review entered the first week of the Meat Your Maker Review Event. Then, I reviewed a game each week for 5 weeks (one more than the event due to an end date confusion); all of them got accepted directly. This event rebuilt my confidence in my review skills.

Maybe, I just got unlucky and my initial review was submitted during a bad week for the approving person and so lacked denial reasons. Whoever you are I don't blame you. You spend a lot of time making RMN a great place.

"The best way to improve is to know the reason we failed." - gcc

Is there a way to add the above fake quote to RMN quotes?

author=Liberty
It also counts yourself looking at your page, I believe.
It doesn't. I looked the page a few times but the profile views remains 10. It would be a bug if the developer could increase the view count thus the popularity of his/her own game.
You really don't neeed to know who denied a request, but it's problematic when you don't know the exact reason it was denied. And "does not comply with the guidelines" simply isn't a very good explanation of the reason and is what makes people angry in the first place.
Pages: first 123 next last