VILLIANS: HOW DO YOU MAKE THEM UNIQUE?

CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
re: the roth

sephiroth is instrumental in the ff7 lesson about friendship. he is necessary for cloud's "fall"

and redemption

there are times when "sephiroth"(is it jenova or jenovaroth i dont know) mind controls cloud for an obvious advantage to himself (he needs the black materia, he needs the black materia again, he needs his own cosplay dress to wear to corneo's mansion) but there are other times when he does it just to be a dick (making cloud punch aeris in the face, making cloud try to slice her in half when he was obviously capable of doing it himself.) he does this because he is trying to make cloud suffer the same kind of breakdown he had. for purposes of just like, making him into a good slave/because jenovaroth is a petty jerk upset about being in a tree, your guess is as good as mine. but he constantly tries to make him feel alienated and like he doesn't belong (and cloud does voice that he feels this way about himself at times, and a lot of other party members comment on him being really 'off') this basically culminates with cloud giving sephiroth the black materia and actually asking hojo to give him an experiment number, which is possibly the lowest you can fall, but then he falls even further into the lifestream. he basically would have been stuck in there forever, trapped in a green mind prison, but tifa drags him out and all his other friends reassure him that, no matter what, he's a cool dude and he can hang with them

sephiroth didn't ever really consider anyone his 'friend' because he was basically put on the highest pedestal possible for a long time, always had really weird feelings about himself, didn't really understand anything about himself and why he was so strong, but when he finally did reach a revelation about himself, he totally lost it because he had no 'human' connections. he picks the legacy of a half-dead alien who he thinks is his mom over any of the human relationships he had formed because either he never really recognized the people he knew as friends. Without our bonds, any of us could slip and fall in a dark hour. friends....friends are good...

Also he killed a dragon

e: discussion of sephiroth has already eclipsed everything else.....abort...abort..

author=Feldschlacht IV

Yes!
Joshua Graham is absolutely one of the most awesome characters I can remember from a video game; his difficulty reconciling his Mormon faith with his current status as leader of the Dead Horses is fascinating. Even more fascinating is how in the past, this former missionary was one of the brutal Legates of the Legion, and how his tarring and being burned alive, was a baptism (as he describes it) and it made him 'born again' in a sense.

To see a character that is supposed to be so gentle, in an odd way, and is trying so hard to atone, but capable (in the past and very much the present) of incredible, deadly, unfettered brutality is mesmerizing. Even his voice feels like a man trying, trying, to maintain control and harmony. I even wonder if his bandages are a narrative symbol of trying to keep himself 'under wraps'.

I also liked the way he was introduced to the player through tales and rumours as a sort of quasi-mythical figure before you meet him in person. He seems deathless, but you learn his survival is due to an indefatigable rage that, as you say, still very much influences how he acts in spite of his wanting to bring some humanity to the world. He has witnessed, committed, and experienced some of the worst the world has to offer.

As for FF VII, I have always found Jenova - an inarticulate, predatory alien - to be quite creepy. Sephiroth then, being the erudite bastard that he is, is how meaning is brought to Jenova's existence and actions. He attributes godhood to her, rather than her actually being a god.

A more recent villain that made a huge impression on me: DA Inquisition's
Solas. Corypheus is just such a caricature that it is quite disarming when you realize Solas has orchestrated the events of the game for reasons so similar - restoration of his homeland & race - yet is so much more subtle. That he is as arrogant and ruthless is what makes him particularly interesting, too, though I guess his crucial difference to Corypheus is that he IS able to concede there is some worth to this world and its people. Of course, he still wants to kill everybody, however "mercifully".

Hey! Villains are something interesting since I never actually have any in my games 90% of the time ( Spooky right (o-O) ) A great way to make a villain is to try make a somewhat cliche villain and then tell the entire story from his point of view aka why is he doing this what is his driving force, what could cause a normal person to come to this etc
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
It was kind of a 'thing' in fantasy for a long time for the world to be an idyllic perfectopia and the villain simply be an elemental force of nature out to ruin it. I'm glad that over time there's been some attempt for villains to be more sophisticated or relatable.

Villains rarely think of themselves as a villain. They're usually fighting for or trying to accomplish something that they believe in, and with a good villain you can see where they're coming from even if you don't agree with it. The world is a complex place. Maybe you thought it was perfectopia but it actually wasn't and the world seriously wronged the villain or those close to him and now he wants revenge or for things to change. Particularly self-aware villains might have realized they're acting in monstrous ways and may feel guilt but push on because they feel their actions are necessary. Maybe the villain arose out of the worst of human instincts; anger, fear, mistrust, ignorance, paranoia. Maybe the villain and his followers think its everyone else who is wrong. The world isn't perfect but the heroes fight to protect it anyway.

Back when I used to review RM games by the busload there was a period where every other game I played had the same scene, where a villain with long hair would burn down a helpless peasant village while yelling 'Yes! Burn! Burn!" Villains who are just in it for the evulz can be fun and are quite effective when done right (Luca Blight, Kefka, etc.) but you have to be really careful when doing this kind of villain because it can come off as hammy or passe really fast.
In other words, treat them like a character and give them reasons and motives? XP

Personally, when I write a villain, I centre them around the story - why are they even existing in this story I'm writing? Who are they to the plot? The characters? Why are they the bad guy and not some other random person out there?

Not every game needs a villain - usually they cause the challenge of the plot, but there are other ways to create that challenge (for example, in my current game the challenge is a tower of puzzles that need to be worked through). So consider if your game requires a villain at all - and if so, do they need to be that big bad world-conquering villain or something a lot smaller?

In Dungeon Crawl, the villain/s are your competition in the dungeon but they can also be your allies depending on how you interact with them. That said, some are more villainous than others and won't hesitate to stab you in the back even if you try to befriend them, but they're not there to take over the world. They're not evil people - they're just greedy or emotional or conceited. But they are still the 'villains' of the game.

Just keep in mind that they always always have reasons. No matter how evil or crazy or faceless or unattached a villain is, there's always a reason behind what they're doing, even if it's as simple as "I'm bored with normality."

Even elemental, edritch forces have a reason for doing what they're doing, even if they're not the ones who put themselves in motion. (The Weapons from FF7 exist to exterminate dangers to the planets' life, even if part of that danger is some of the life on the planet, but they still have a reason to exist despite being just a force that has been activated. They exist for a reason, they move with a reason.)

No-one just woke up and said "you know what, I'm gonna destroy the world today" out of the blue for no reason. There is something that triggered that desire, that idea.

It is always interesting to see how villains are portrayed in games, though I'm personally a fan of villains who reveal themselves early on and 'play' with the party during the game, even if they hide themselves as a benevolent presence.

For example, the church in Breath of Fire II was prevalent through-out the game, but the links to the demons that were showing up through-out the game was strenuous at best. The true villain didn't show his hand until the last act but despite that his presence was felt across the world as more and more demons appeared, more evil grew and darkness started to enter more peoples' hearts. You knew something was wrong, you knew there was something going on, and the church was there the whole time acting like a safe place for you all along until the reveal. It made for a good build-up.

Faceless corporations with good and bad people within them (like armies or churches or the like) make for good villains too, especially if you get to see that good side, to see it helping others (and yourself) but also see the bad things it does.

Honestly, to make a good villain of any kind, don't leave them for a last minute 'Where were you all along?!" reveal. Either show their impact on the world in some way or have them play with the party. Even if it's something like the mist in Legend of Legaia (goddamn, was that stuff creepy), if it has a presence, then it can really help make that villain feel like something you want to conquer as a player invested in the story.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
It's almost as though there's not one single "memorable" villain type, and it depends on the story and the audience!
author=Liberty
Even elemental, edritch forces have a reason for doing what they're doing, even if they're not the ones who put themselves in motion. (The Weapons from FF7 exist to exterminate dangers to the planets' life, even if part of that danger is some of the life on the planet, but they still have a reason to exist despite being just a force that has been activated. They exist for a reason, they move with a reason.)

Not always, though! It's a rule of thumb to of course, yeah, give your villains a reason/motivation, but this doesn't always have to be the case! One big exception is the concept of 'Eldritch Horrors'; Lovecraftian type, dark forces of nature that just 'are', or alternatively, are intelligent and may have a reason, but it's so utterly incomprehensible to humans that we may even be beyond notice or concern.

A good (well, at first) concept of Lovecraft-esque, Eldritch horrors in a video game were the Reapers from Mass Effect; giant, horrifying organic-mechanical monsters that awaken from deep space to destroy all galactic life every tens of thousands of years. They're incomprehensibly powerful, in the first game, it takes an entire fleet to defeat one, and they number in the hundreds/thousands. The narrative makes it clear if that you don't figure out a way to stop them by the third game, all civilization in the galaxy will end. Period.

You can even ask one straight up why they do it, and it pretty much tells you "lol don't worry about it" and that all intelligent life in the universe is the equivalent of bacteria you wash down the drain; utterly beyond notice. You don't know why they're doing this, and they tell you that you can't, because you matter that little.

Hell, in the second game it even takes the concept of "a dead god can dream", as an investigative team finds a dead, ancient Reaper in space and they slowly lose their fucking minds because it's that powerful. There was no reason, no motivation, no backstory, the Reapers were beyond gods, beyond comprehension, they just needed to be stopped. That shit's terrifying!

They ruined a lot of what made Reapers great in Mass Effect 3, but still!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
In the hopes of having some discussion other than a slapfight over “Which Antagonist is Best Antagonist?*”, I'll do an effortpost about different forms of the character type.

Most broadly, the question is one about conflict- the whole “man vs. man,” “man vs. nature,” “man vs. self” setup. (Sometimes also included in the listing of antagonists are “society,” “machine,” “the supernatural,” and “God,” though I'd personally lump those last three in with “nature” or “man,” depending on the story.)

When speaking about traditional RPGs, most of the time your conflict will have to come down to “man vs. man” by necessity of the gameplay: gotta have that Last Boss! (It's possible to take a different approach here, but it requires a lot of tweaking things, and in the end might not really act like an RPG anymore.)

As I said before, the form your antagonist takes will depend a lot on the scope and theme of your game: something that works super well in a traditional heroic fantasy is going to be super weird in a smaller-stakes “normal life” game, and vice versa. Also (and this will be sacrilege to some people) sometimes, your villain's motive doesn't matter so much- the motive is the “why” of things, and in certain settings, you just don't need a why.

The important question with a game villain is “How do I stop them?” 99% of the time, of course, the answer boils down to “Hit them until they stop moving.” So, for a good game villain, you want to make someone the player is cool with beating senseless. This can range from “They're basically animated garbage and it is a personal pleasure to turn them into a smear on the ground,” to “I don't really WANT to, but all other methods have failed, so I guess death/traction it is!”

For this reason, an important thing about your antagonist is what they want, and how they're going about making that happen. This is often what people actually mean when they're complaining about “just evil” or “just crazy” villains: The villain doesn't seem to have any clear goal or priority in their behavior. Since the antagonist is usually the source of conflict, and the conflict the source of the narrative, a villain without an apparent goal often makes the narrative seem disorganized and flimsy. (Note that this doesn't mean the goal needs to be clear during gameplay; as long as the player can glean an idea of what their deal was by the end, it's all good.)

The other important thing- which goes hand-in-hand with the last paragraph- is how they relate to the protag. If the player doesn't get the feeling that the struggle is somehow important to the protag, they're likely to stop caring, too. Why does this character, out of all the things the protag fights, matter to the protag?

SO! That out of the way, here's a list of a few villain types:

the Force of Nature
This isn't usually a villain as much of an antagonist, just because it does not care about the protag at all. The protag registers only as another barrier to its goal. It can't be reasoned with, it doesn't care to converse much/at all, it's just going to do its thing and not stop until it's done.

Along with stopping the catastrophic goal, the conflict here is often one of “I matter,” or, more broadly, “People matter.” The protag is stubbornly asserting their hopes and wishes against an uncaring foe, solely with the belief that their existence counts.

the Complete Asshole
This character does care about the protag, inasmuch as they want them to suffer for some reason. They're happy to talk, but won't change because FUCK YOU, THAT'S WHY. They know they're doing something the protag doesn't like, and they're happy about it. Maybe they have it out for the protag in specific, or maybe they're just unrepentantly sadistic. Either way, there's no empathizing here.

This is a popular and fun character to write, but it's easy to do them badly; as stated earlier, even spiteful sadists have priorities, and won't take just any old opportunity to be evil. They should always be written with their goal(s) in mind.

The conflict here is clear: “Stop the Asshole, or else the suffering will continue.” No inner struggles required. Simple, light, and often satisfying when you curb stomp that smug face.

the Dark Reflection
This one's been fairly popular of late: a villain whose goals or motives are heroic, but whose methods are less so. Often tragic, usually sympathetic, they're generally not too happy that they have to hurt anyone, but whatever their goal is, it's too big and important to set aside.

This character can require a lot of work, since you need to balance “could have been heroic” with “required to do terrible things.” If you mess this up, the character just looks self-absorbed or stupid for missing something obvious.

Done well, this antagonist is a great foil for the protag, functioning as a warning to question themself and their actions. (Which is another caveat for this type- if you're using this villain to show “killing people is bad” then you have to make sure NONE of the cannon fodder the protag fights are people, for example.)

So that's the basic framework of villains; all the rest is simply adding aesthetic elements.

*The answer is always “Whichever one left an impression on the individual,” which has to do with factors you can't possibly control, such as “This was the first story I saw as a kid that had a complex antagonist,” or “I really like this style of antagonist,” or “I really hate whatever is popular right now, so ANYTHING BUT THAT!” Which is why the question is fairly useless from a creator's standpoint.
author=Feldschlacht IV
snip

Yeah, but see - that's their reason. To them everything is practically nothing, so that's their reason for not caring and for shit going on. It's a reason. ;p
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you think that's enough of a reason to qualify as "a reason" then I wonder what is even the point of telling people to make sure their villains have a reason for their actions. I can't think of a single example, or even imagine a theoretical one, where the villain's actions have any less purpose than that.

Edit: Other than, like, comedy games where the villain refers to himself as a villain.
author=Liberty
author=Feldschlacht IV
snip
Yeah, but see - that's their reason. To them everything is practically nothing, so that's their reason for not caring and for shit going on. It's a reason. ;p

author=LockeZ
If you think that's enough of a reason to qualify as "a reason" then I wonder what is even the point of telling people to make sure their villains have a reason for their actions. I can't think of a single example, or even imagine a theoretical one, where the villain's actions have any less purpose than that.

Edit: Other than, like, comedy games where the villain refers to himself as a villain.

I think both of these thoughts are missing the point of H.P. Lovecraft inspired themes; it's not that their reason is 'nothing', their reason is utterly incomprehensible to mortal thought, and any 'reason' we assign is just us trying to make sense of the unknowable and projecting that onto forces we can't possibly understand.

Even copping out and saying "lol their reason is nothing/they don't have one" isn't true either, nobody said they don't have a reason or that their reason is nothing, it's just that their actions are totally unknowable to us. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, whatever, the result is the same, and that's what's important. There's no way to know either way, to the point of it almost not mattering, because we don't matter, and that's terrifying.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
No villain at all!
I like forces of nature and games without a clear antagonist. It gets to be more about protagonist, relations and revelations within the party. Ultima VI made the player an accidental villain. There is so many interesting ways to work around classic schemes of an evil dude. It's not necessary and game's focus is not on the villain in 90% of cases.
author=Feldschlacht IV
sniiiiiip

But that's what I was meaning - they do have their reason. The characters in the game (and players) can't comprehend it so it comes off as no reason, but a reason is there.

As a writer you have to know that reason even if the player never knows it. This is about writing a good villain and you, as a writer, need to at least have an inkling about what your eldritch horror's reason for pulling the shit they do is. If you don't know, if they don't have one, then they come off as shallow and empty shells. There's a huge difference between the player not knowing the reason and there not being one 'just cos'. You can feel the difference between the two.
author=LockeZ

author=Liberty
author=Feldschlacht IV
sniiiiiip
But that's what I was meaning - they do have their reason. The characters in the game (and players) can't comprehend it so it comes off as no reason, but a reason is there.

As a writer you have to know that reason even if the player never knows it. This is about writing a good villain and you, as a writer, need to at least have an inkling about what your eldritch horror's reason for pulling the shit they do is. If you don't know, if they don't have one, then they come off as shallow and empty shells. There's a huge difference between the player not knowing the reason and there not being one 'just cos'. You can feel the difference between the two.

I feel that!
Sooz
author=Liberty
As a writer you have to know that reason even if the player never knows it . . . If you don't know, if they don't have one, then they come off as shallow and empty shells. There's a huge difference between the player not knowing the reason and there not being one 'just cos'. You can feel the difference between the two.

Doc Rocket, if you take nothing else from this topic, please take this. And the big effortpost I made :V
I think all the above stuff is great.
This conversation reminded me of this recent video. Yes, it's about a movie. But I think the same lessons apply - many of which have already been mentioned:

Seems like I got you guys talking, mission accomplished.

And yeah, even though the villains I listed have "reasons", that's not the reason why they are great villains.

(FFVI, FFVII, Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile spoiler warnings.)

Kekfa is great because he just makes it so blatantly obvious that he really doesn't care about innocent people dying. Or maybe he just really enjoys killing. He really just seems like a side character for a while but then suddenly he manages to become super powerful so he can make everyone suffer. And you kind of admire him that he went through with his pure evil personality up to the point where is almost a god.

Sephiroth isn't great because of the mother/father issues. Nobody even cares about that (well, I don't). He is great because he leaves a trail of blood behind him very early on already and feels like the "super scary being that could just kill you in a second, hope I don't make him my enemy" over the whole adventure. And then he summons a meteor that is about to destroy the whole planet and you are like "Welp, guess we have to kill this omnipotent being after all!"
Fighting him at the end makes you so scared of dying.

Cyril is great because he isn't just another side boss, but also goes all like "Now I just have to kill the final boss and then I can destroy everyone all by myself!" and he has very cool battle quotes too like "Well, guess I buy a one-way ticket to hell for your lives.", "What's wrong? Weren't you coming to get me?", "I hope you let me enjoy it some more." and "Try a little harder, before you die."
Not to mention he's the only boss than can render himself completely invincible if he just wants to.

Lezard Valeth is great because his determination is so great, that he accomplished even surviving Ragnarok and becoming an actual god, just so he can date one!

All these villains weren't great because they had a good reasons or a lot of background story to them, they were great because of the way they are shown to the player and due to their unique personalities.

But in any case, my main point was that good reasons are not what make villains great. That doesn't mean there aren't great villains with reasons, though. It just means they were great out of other reasons.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Kekfa is great because he just makes it so blatantly obvious that he really doesn't care about innocent people dying. Or maybe he just really enjoys killing. He really just seems like a side character for a while but then suddenly he manages to become super powerful so he can make everyone suffer. And you kind of admire him that he went through with his pure evil personality up to the point where is almost a god.
No, that's why he's boring. There's nothing unique about his personality, either. It's just a lazy rip-off of The Joker. You could copy-paste any other "for the lulz" generic bad guy into FF6 and it wouldn't change the story whatsoever.

Stage presence improves the quality of an antagonist, and is important to consider, but no amount of polish will turn a lazy, generic villain into a good one. If you don't have an antagonist with well-developed characterization, then you don't have a villain, you have a plot device.
From what I know, Kefka was globally very well received as villain.

Seems more like your personal taste for good villains is quite specific, which is fine, but shouldn't be given as absolute advice.