[RMVX ACE] IS GIVING A GAME ATARI 2600 STYLE GRAPHICS A GOOD IDEA?

Pages: 1
I don't know where else to post this. So anyways, I'm making a game called "The Masters of Mondaian." It's about a guy who falls into another, surreal version of Earth called Mondaian, and goes on a quest to return home. I don't want to give away too many details, mostly because I don't want ideas getting stolen and I'm still in the brainstorming phase.

So I figured for starters I could go and give the game custom graphics in the vein of the Atari 2600. The reason being for this is because it's simple to make and it can still look decent and unique if done right. But I'm worried people will consider the game's graphics to be TOO simple. So I'm just wondering, would YOU, as a player, want to try a game that has Atari-style graphics? Thx in advance!
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
To be honest i'd prefer a bit more bits on your pocket.
Atari graphics might be a bit overly simple.

But well, different strokes for different folk.
Still better than the blocky RTP ...
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Graphic don't matter as much as consistency of theme. If it's execuated well, it can work in just about any format.

That being said, 8-bit and before graphics are really difficult to pull off well for a variety of reasons; any lo-fi format is super challenging because you don't have as much wiggle room.

So your question shouldn't be "What would people play?" but instead "Can I pull that off?"

Also LOL don't worry about idea thievery. Ideas are worth exactly butt. Execution is the valuable thing.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Sure, go ahead. Just be aware of possible clashes. You need to completely change ui, find a fitting font. Also old computers used to have a certain resolution. To learn the most work with the limitations in their fullest.
Short answer: No.
Longer answer: If you have a good reason. Being too lazy to do something better is not a good reason. I think below NES graphics is too low-tech for most people to stomach, maybe even SNES.
I'm probably alot more accepting than the average person and even I would be really reluctant to play something with Atari-type graphics. I can appreciate someone that does something really good looking within certain limitations, like this picture:

But the way you worded your question makes me think that's not what you're aiming for. You're basically just doing it to make it faster to make, correct? It will have to be a damn good game in other departments for people to play it anyway.
author=Anonymous_Mclove
I don't know where else to post this. So anyways, I'm making a game called "The Masters of Mondaian." It's about a guy who falls into another, surreal version of Earth called Mondaian, and goes on a quest to return home. I don't want to give away too many details, mostly because I don't want ideas getting stolen and I'm still in the brainstorming phase.

So I figured for starters I could go and give the game custom graphics in the vein of the Atari 2600. The reason being for this is because it's simple to make and it can still look decent and unique if done right. But I'm worried people will consider the game's graphics to be TOO simple. So I'm just wondering, would YOU, as a player, want to try a game that has Atari-style graphics? Thx in advance!

I've seen a lot of great quality games with 8-bit or less graphics. I personally prefer 8-bit or even 16-bit graphics for indie games, it brings back what games used to be, and makes the creators, such as ourselves, really think about the design of the game, the mechanics, the playability, etc. I'm convinced that modern pro games are as bad as they are because there is no innovation anymore, there are no single-person teams, it's all multiple people more often than not, developing a single aspect of a game, and then putting it all together. Back in the day, you did have a few teams with more than a few people, but often it was just one person, or maybe a handful of people. It's what we indie devs have that pros lack now, that ability to see what can be done with limited options.
So, in short, take your ideas and roll with them! :) You never know what will work in design.
I think it's a good idea if Atari style graphics inspire and motivate you. Do you want to make something you don't care for, just to make other people happy.

If everyone in this thread tells you to do 16-bit Final Fantasy whatever style graphics, but you just really want to make an Atari game, then I think you should make your Atari 2600 style game.
Pages: 1