I NEED FEEDBACK ON AN IDEA...

Pages: 1
As said in my previous post, I don't know where else to put this in detail. Sorry if this isn't appropriate to post here :(

Anyhow, I've been thinking about this idea for a while, and I have asked people about it on other sites, the response being mixed to negative(One said the idea(More specifically, the setting) made no sense and that it was a clusterf*** of ideas, and the other said that they might play it, but it sounded complicated). I decided to post it here to see what you people think.

The idea is basically a game set in a planet called The Refuge, which is an artificial planet, located in an isolated area of the universe, made to house refugees of various races and origins escaping from an evil space confederacy. Fast forward a couple centuries, and the game begins as you play a teen human living in a small town on the Refuge, who learns that the entire planet is in danger of being conquered by the previously mentioned confederacy, who made a base on one of the Refuge's two moons.

The game is actually inspired by Earthbound(In fact, this idea was originally going to be an Earthbound fangame, but I decided to make it more original, just in case Nintendo decided shove a C&D down my throat, as one guy warned me), and thus will have an Earthbound-y feel to it, with the addition of side quests, minigames, and a more advanced battle system.

So, I'm not asking for feedback on the game itself, but the IDEA. Is this something you would play? Oh, and suggestions would be nice too ^_^

Thanks for your time!
Sounds rather straightforward to me. Sci-fi setting, lots of different races and mixtures (always fun), stuff to do to save the world. The idea of a refugee planet of sorts sounds interesting to me and gives the evil evil a simple reason for being there, and also a history with your homeplanet and folks.

Now, the tricky part to determine whether it's too much or fun is how you introduce that system, planet and starting point properly.
How much do you want the player to know? Do they even know it's a refugee planet and some evil federation is there, or is it a strike out of nowhere reminding you of that past or bringing that fact to your mind?
And then, what kind of races are there? How different are they, how are they different? Are they keeping to themselves more like tribes or do they live freely with each other?
Avoid the exposition dump, just show it as a quirky interesting buzzing place. If you do the fast-forward thing, keep it nice and simply - nice n short. Now I imagine it like a "project in planning" promotion video, haha.

It's all about the execution. You have a lot of room for different quirks, people and environments this way. Make it into a fun package! You can do it~
Nothing at all wrong with the idea.

My concern is how much emphasis you'll put on the backstory and realism. Too much emphasis and people will start nitpicking about things like realistic space travel taking decades or centuries to reach a "remote part of the galaxy". And that raises two questions:
How did the refugees afford the trip?
Why does the evil empire care what they're doing there?

(And now it's starting to sound like Asimov's Foundation series.)
author=Kalin
Nothing at all wrong with the idea.

My concern is how much emphasis you'll put on the backstory and realism. Too much emphasis and people will start nitpicking about things like realistic space travel taking decades or centuries to reach a "remote part of the galaxy".

That's exactly what happened when I described the setting of the idea on Reddit, lol! This game will take place many centuries into the future, so I guess my reasoning is for such a backstory is that a) We never know what technology we humans have have in the future, and b) We don't know how advanced alien civilizations are, if they exist, that is.

While I have not gotten to how the refugees afforded the trip(This idea is still in it's infancy), the reason the bad guys care is because they view the Refuge as a sign of incoming rebellion and want to squash it before anything happens.
It sounds like it is your setting though. I mean, there are tons of sci fi stuff out there without that realism. It can be all the more fun too (and I gotta love Futurama).
People are looking for it, and maybe reflecting into it, because the realistic super complicated detailed super game has not been made, and likely will never be, and not because people wouldn't like that (think what no man sky tried to fill, hah)

But do as much as you want and need it to be. It's your setting. Not all your game is. Gameplay is key. You talk about different side quests and minigames and to me it sounds like just a varied colorful package. So the sci-fi world can also be simply where those people exist. Nothing more. They do their job, eat their food, drink their water like anywhere else, a few things different, different looking environment, and different people structure, but the same basic needs.

That is, of course, up to you. What you want to emphasize and elaborate. But rest easy that it's perfectly okay to do, and a very doable idea and setting.
author=Anonymous_Mclove
The game is actually inspired by Earthbound(In fact, this idea was originally going to be an Earthbound fangame, but I decided to make it more original, just in case Nintendo decided shove a C&D down my throat, as one guy warned me),

You have a better chance of getting stuck by lightning in your living room than you do of getting a C&D from Nintendo about an Earthbound fan game. Now if this were a fan remake or something you might have something to worry about.
I mean, it seems fine, but there isn't much there to criticize or talk about. There's nothing particularly good or bad about a refugee planet.

The idea of an evil empire conquering it seems weird. You'd need to make sure they have a really good reason to do that. Who are they conquering it from? Some refugee government that really values its independence?

If you want to do things right, you need to have a really good reason for why there's an artificial planet, too. That is going to be insanely expensive. How does it avoid being crushed under its own gravity? Why build a planet instead of just settle or terraform a new one?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
BadLuck's points are all good ones. A space station certainly seems like it would make a lot more sense than an artificial planet. And if this place is out in the middle of nowhere, the empire would need a pretty strong motivation to attack it, especially if they haven't for the last several hundred years. Surely they knew where it was, since the nature of a refugee center is that lots of different people from different backgrounds have to be able to find it.

My suggestions are:
- Make it a space station instead of a planet
- Make it only be six months since it started accepting refugees, instead of hundreds of years
- Make the alien confederation totally silly, have their motivation be that they want to melt the station down to create belt buckles
- In general, use comedy to fill in plot holes

Would I play it? No. Earthbound has very bad graphics, and the worst combat of all time. It has very boring dungeons, an obnoxious interface, and forgettable music. The balance is really really terrible, the consumable items are completely unintuitive and mostly useless, and the equipment and leveling is utterly boring. What it has going for it is the incredible writing, which is good enough to make up for its numerous faults. Saying you're heavily inspired by it and then opening with forum post where you don't know if your ideas are even worth writing about doesn't leave me with much confidence.
Pages: 1