[RM2K3] BATTLE TEST CANNOT BE INITIATED.

Pages: 1
Hi, I'm new here, so I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

I recently purchased the official english translation of Rm2k3 this past month, and I've run into a problem with the engine. If I'm in the Database attempting to test a battle, I run into this error: "File creation has temporarily failed. Battle test cannot be initiated."

Why would this happen? Do I need to reinstall the engine? And if so, I'm not quite sure how to safely do that...I'm worried that I might be forced to purchase another copy of I uninstall it...? I'm sorry if that sounds naive. I'm just not sure what I'm doing.

Thank you in advance, I hope you all have a lovely day.

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Try running the program in admin mode to see if the file creation works with administrative rights.
author=Mirak
Try running the program in admin mode to see if the file creation works with administrative rights.

Gave it a shot, looks like it still gets the same error. :( Thank you though.
I think it might be an issue with something you're doing in your battle - either calling an event that cannot be called or referencing something that you removed in the database.
author=Liberty
I think it might be an issue with something you're doing in your battle - either calling an event that cannot be called or referencing something that you removed in the database.

I thought that, too, but even with a new, clean game file I still get the same error. It still seems like an issue with the engine, or the way it was installed...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Fascinating. What happens if you click the Test Play button in RPG Maker?

Where are you saving your game's project folder? I don't know if the program asks you when you create a new project, but you can definitely put the project folders anywhere on your computer. I'm thinking maybe you put the project folder somewhere problematic like inside of C:\Program Files. Try moving it to your Documents folder.

If you need to reinstall RPG Maker through Steam, you can either uninstall it through the Windows control panel, or right-click on it in Steam and choose the "Delete Local Content" option. Afterwards you can install it again in Steam, no problem. The Play button will just get replaced by an Install program, like for any other game on Steam that you've bought but not installed. However you should make a copy of your game's project folder before doing this, so your game doesn't get removed along with the program.
@LockeZ

Playtest and everything else in the engine seems to work fine. I wasn't too worried about the Battle Test error because the game I'm working on won't be using them (not extensively at least), and the battles can be tested from within a playtest perfectly fine. It just seems to be the battle test in the database that won't work.

I'm saving my game's project folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents\RPG Maker 2003 . I installed it on the computer, without using Steam. (The Steam overlay lags my computer very badly, so I try to avoid it if possible).
Interestingly, I saw a few reports about this now, but it appears it popped up only recently... It is a very weird problem though.

The direct cause of this error is that the RM failed to copy your game's RPG_RT.ldb file into the temporary folder which is located at c:\Users\<username>\AppData\KADOKAWA\RPG Maker 2003\WorkingDirectory\<random ID>

Since obviously the LDB file exists (otherwise your game wouldn't load), and the temporary folder exists too because it is created when RM starts and editing maps wouldn't work without it, it is a miracle to me how this copy operation can fail...

Can you please follow the following steps to help me identify the problem?

1) Download the tool "WinAPIOverride" from here and unpack it somewhere: http://jacquelin.potier.free.fr/exe/winapioverride32_bin.zip
2) Run the unpacked file "WinAPIOverride32.exe". There might be a warning about 64 and 32 bit which you can ignore.
3) Make sure RM2k3 is running.
4) Drag the "target" icon ("◎") onto RM2k3's window. A number should have been filled into the field "Process ID" now.
5) Click the green arrow in the top left corner. You should see a message that "the application is ready to be hooked".
6) Click the icon with the 3 books above the button "Load" in the "API Monitoring Configuration" area (near the middle of the window). A list will open.
7) On the left side, click (select) *and* tick "kernel32".
8) On the right side, click "Uncheck all".
9) Enter "CopyFileA" into the search function name field below the right list, then click the filter icon to the right.
10) You should now see only one entry in the right list. Tick it.
11) Click OK.
12) Now try starting the battle test in RM2k3.
13) In the WinAPIOverride window, new entries should have been added to the bottom list by now. Right-click any of them and select "Copy All".
14) Paste it here into a message!

Thanks!
Cherry
Hi, sorry Cherry I have the same problem and i seek all your passage. What can i do for it ?

In CopyFileA(0x004F4BF8:"RPG_RT.ldb", 0x043F61E8:"C:\Users\Andrea\AppData\Local\Temp\RPG_TEMP\BattleTest\RPG_RT.ldb", 0x00000000) 0x00000001 0x004F484A RPG2003.exe + 0xF484A 0x00000A38 0x00000B5C 0x00000057 EAX=0x043F61E8, EBX=0x04436948, ECX=0x7FFDD000, EDX=0x00000000, ESI=0x00438ECC, EDI=0x0018E754, EFL=0x00000206, ESP=0x0018E524, EBP=0x0018E5D8, FS=0x00580053 EAX=0x00000001, EBX=0x04436948, ECX=0x18FB4778, EDX=0x002C0000, ESI=0x00438ECC, EDI=0x0018E754, EFL=0x00000246, ESP=0x0018E530, EBP=0x0018E5D8, FS=0x77910053 -1.#IND -1.#IND 15:44:17:926:533,3 1398 kernel32.dll CopyFileA C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterbrain\RPG2003\RPG2003.exe
author=Cherry
Interestingly, I saw a few reports about this now, but it appears it popped up only recently... It is a very weird problem though.

The direct cause of this error is that the RM failed to copy your game's RPG_RT.ldb file into the temporary folder which is located at c:\Users\<username>\AppData\KADOKAWA\RPG Maker 2003\WorkingDirectory\<random ID>

Since obviously the LDB file exists (otherwise your game wouldn't load), and the temporary folder exists too because it is created when RM starts and editing maps wouldn't work without it, it is a miracle to me how this copy operation can fail...

Can you please follow the following steps to help me identify the problem?

1) Download the tool "WinAPIOverride" from here and unpack it somewhere: http://jacquelin.potier.free.fr/exe/winapioverride32_bin.zip
2) Run the unpacked file "WinAPIOverride32.exe". There might be a warning about 64 and 32 bit which you can ignore.
3) Make sure RM2k3 is running.
4) Drag the "target" icon ("◎") onto RM2k3's window. A number should have been filled into the field "Process ID" now.
5) Click the green arrow in the top left corner. You should see a message that "the application is ready to be hooked".
6) Click the icon with the 3 books above the button "Load" in the "API Monitoring Configuration" area (near the middle of the window). A list will open.
7) On the left side, click (select) *and* tick "kernel32".
8) On the right side, click "Uncheck all".
9) Enter "CopyFileA" into the search function name field below the right list, then click the filter icon to the right.
10) You should now see only one entry in the right list. Tick it.
11) Click OK.
12) Now try starting the battle test in RM2k3.
13) In the WinAPIOverride window, new entries should have been added to the bottom list by now. Right-click any of them and select "Copy All".
14) Paste it here into a message!

Thanks!
Cherry

Uhhh, so the thing there wasn't called CopyFileA it was CopySid, and when I did this, it starts telling me short list of Bad code pointers for about 20 seconds, then an endless list of recreated GlobalFindAtomA iterations. Also, problem wasn't fixed. I made a Log of the file up until I just stopped hooking it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_PzfuiW3fUnb3I5X3hMOFN0d2s
Hi! I realized only know that I got an answer here...

@baiu: Just to confirm: This log is from the Steam version, right? Not the pirated old version? Because I'm surprised that it tries to copy the file into a location which is not supposed to be used by the Steam version.
There is now a fix available! At least for RM2k3. For RM2k there is a workaround.

RM2k3 (only for v1.10+!)
I created a patch to fix the problem. Download the patch here: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-32176/rpg2003_112_fix_battle_test.ips

Apply this patch to your RPG2003.exe using a tool like Lunar IPS (switch to "all file types"). If you got RM2k3 from Steam, you can find the RPG2003.exe file in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker 2003".

Create a backup of the original file first!

EDIT: Unfortunately this won't work with the RMW version due to DRM!

RM2k
I can't provide a patch right now (for administrative reasons), but there is a workaround available.

You can initiate the battle test by manually running RPG_RT.exe with certain command line parameters, I provided a script which does that for you. Download the script here: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-32177/battletest2000.vbs

Place the script file into your project folder next to the RPG_RT.exe file.

In order to configure the heroes and equipment for the test, you can use the normal battle test window, just click "OK" there after configuring the desired settings (not "Start Battle Test") and then also click "OK" or "Apply" in the database window so that the setting is saved.

Then, to launch the battle test, you just run the BattleTest2000.vbs file and enter the ID of the monster group that you want to fight (e.g. 123).
While this glitch didn't impact me, I really appreciate you still being around making updates and bug fixes. So thanks!
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Thanks Cherry!
Thank you so much, Cherry! You're amazing. I just tested it without any patch and it seemed to work fine, I wonder what went wrong?
I'll be sure to download your patch if the error returns.
Pages: 1